Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anybody else HATE their iMac keyboard?

Anybody else HATE their iMac keyboard?
His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 07:40 AM

Holy crap, how I HATE this keyboard that came with my G5 iMac. It's the BIGGEST PIECE of **** keyboard I have EVER used. Almost every keystroke I have mentally and physically push and slam down to get the key to go down. They all stick to one another and I spell almost every word wrong.

It's going in the trash as soon as I get a new one.

siMac
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 08:34 AM

I think you must have a faulty unit. The keyboards shipped with the iMacs are the same keyboards that are shipped with PowerMacs and are of high quality, it's certainly not normal to have keys sticking.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2005, 09:59 AM

Agreed, must be faulty. My iMac keyboard, while not my favorite of all-time, is nonetheless adequate and functional. I like it well enough to use it instead of the Smartboard that I paid $60 for.

Duracell
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2005, 10:15 AM

The apple keyboard is of a high quality, not the best keyboard I've used by far but certainly shouldn't do what you say it does - must be faulty
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2005, 10:46 AM

I agree with the above user, your keyboard is faulty. I have a Sony FS680 laptop and the first time I used apple's keyboard, I was impressed....the smoothest keyboard I had ever used..I would go to an apple store closest to you and ask them to give you a new keyboard, even though you didn't purchase it there, they should do something to help you out...

Jerk_circus
Dec 9, 2005, 12:09 PM

I'm going to have to agree with His dudeness. The apple pro keyboard sucks! Its so difficult to use. You literally do have to put effort into pushing down every key, all the way down to get it to register. As a result, half of my letters never show up and I have to go back and correct my spelling errors! Maybe I'm jaded because I came from a powerbook, which has the best keyboard feel in my opinion. Every keystroke is light and easy, but not to sensitive that you accidently push other keys.

And no, I do not have a faulty keyboard either. I have had 2 wired keyboards and the bluetooth keyboard, and they all feel the same. Sucky.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 12:54 PM

So get a new one. Not everyone is going to be 100% happy with the anything that is ever made by any company. Everyone likes different types of keyboards and how they feel. I for one like the latest Apple keyboards. I'm using one right now and I've never had any problems typing on it. Its not my favorite Apple keyboard of all times, but its a solid one.

I don't understand the point of this post though. Just to vent?

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 03:42 PM

Not to vent. I figured someone else would have the same problem as me. And I'm bidding on some other keyboards on eBay.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 04:34 PM

Weird, I have the opposite problem with my Apple keyboard. The keys tend to be too easy to push, and I often end up double typing letters. Still, it's certainly not a bad keyboard.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 05:48 PM

Since this keyboard is so hard to use, how come I'm typing so blisteringly fast? HUH? I am so awesome at typing that I blow everyone else away with my awesome typing skillz. I am so awesome that I am just that awesome. Yet, I still like to misspell words every now and then just for fun. But because I am awesome, this makes sense. Awesome people misspell words the time to let their habits take care of the rest of them. See the foxy blue lady jump over the blue moon today and let her rationalize the denominator.

I think the Apple Pro keyboard is great.

quiklee
Senior User
Dec 14, 2005, 07:48 PM

I don't have any problem wit mine and I type pretty softly. It must be a faulty unit. Go to the apple store and ask them to replace it.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 05:13 AM

I bought it at Compusa. They will replace it for me, you think?

davo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 08:07 PM

i hated the imac keyboard pro as well. I prefer my keyboards on more of an angel and there is no choice for that on them.
www.camination.com - New iMac deciated site, and everything else mac

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Weird, I have the opposite problem with my Apple keyboard. The keys tend to be too easy to push, and I often end up double typing letters. Still, it's certainly not a bad keyboard.
I have the same thing. I make more spelling mistakes using that keyboard than I can count. I have to triple read everything to catch all the mistakes.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 09:40 PM

i was going to buy a new apple keyboard but after reading this thread i might get a third party one instead

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 06:15 AM

mine was crap, got a 5$ fake NEC keyboard and its much better.

Wish it wasn't true.

italiano
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2006, 06:18 AM

Since day 1 mine has been in the box (never used it) along with the new white mouse too - I have an Apple Pro Keyboard and black matching mouse and I'm still using it - figured I'd keep the new set for a spare - glad I did after reading this thread.
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

Fdanna
Jan 12, 2006, 10:49 AM

I don't really like any keyboards that are included with PCs or Macs. The Mac keyboard is pretty mushy, though I suppose anyone can get used to anything if they use it long enough.

Ever since OS X allowed you to remap keys (10.4 I think), I've been happily using my heavy IBM PC keyboard with a USB to PS2 adapter. It's one of those really loud clackity clack (buckling spring) keyboards and I will NEVER part with it! I only wish they made them in USB.

Typing on a keyboard with both audible and physical feedback is a joy for touch typing.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 12, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jerk_circus
I'm going to have to agree with His dudeness. The apple pro keyboard sucks! Its so difficult to use. You literally do have to put effort into pushing down every key, all the way down to get it to register.
The Apple Pro Keyboard was discontinued in 2003. All G5 Macs, including the iMac G5, shipped with the "Apple Keyboard", which is the subject of this thread.

tooki

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fdanna
I don't really like any keyboards that are included with PCs or Macs. The Mac keyboard is pretty mushy, though I suppose anyone can get used to anything if they use it long enough.

Ever since OS X allowed you to remap keys (10.4 I think), I've been happily using my heavy IBM PC keyboard with a USB to PS2 adapter. It's one of those really loud clackity clack (buckling spring) keyboards and I will NEVER part with it! I only wish they made them in USB.

Typing on a keyboard with both audible and physical feedback is a joy for touch typing.
http://matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2006, 01:11 PM

I can't comment on the new keyboards but my Apple Pro keyboard has sticky keys and not for the usual reasons. They are stiff to press. The ibook keyboards were really spongy but very cheap quality. The powerbook keyboard is the only one I like out of the Macs I've used and possibly the original imac, which even had a power key that I miss. The problem with the latter was it was too small.

I would buy a PC keyboard but my experience with them has been far worse. Paint wearing off in a couple of weeks, keys breaking withing a matter of months, it's pathetic.

I think if Apple made a desktop keyboard just like the powerbook keyboard with backlight and metallic keys and extended of course, it would be awesome. Hopefully lighter too as I sit with it on my lap.

Fdanna
Jan 12, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
Definitely better than the standard keyboards, but this doesn't use buckling spring technology... it's ALPS switches. Different feel.

A keyboard can be a very personal choice :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules