Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Not too sure I can bring myself to see this.

Not too sure I can bring myself to see this.
His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 05:45 PM

I don't know if it's too soon, whatever. Even though Nicholas Cage is in it, and he freakin rocks... I don't know. Just watching the trailer brought tears to my eyes again.

What's everyone's opinion?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/wtc/large.html

adster
May 22, 2006, 06:04 PM

I like Oliver Stone's movies, and you can't go wrong with Nicholas Cage. I'm interested to see where Stone takes this story, however, given his history of approaching subjects from a less than orthodox perspective,

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2006, 06:05 PM

Two movies about 911 in less than 6 months...Come on!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
I don't know if it's too soon, whatever. Even though Nicholas Cage is in it, and he freakin rocks... I don't know. Just watching the trailer brought tears to my eyes again.
I had a similar reaction, though in my case it was prompted by the presence of Nicholas Cage, rather than the subject of the movie.

I personally don’t think it’s too soon for this movie—it’s been nearly five years. Then again, I don’t have a very close relationship with the whole thing; I didn’t know anyone who was even remotely involved in it. Doesn’t mean I’m going to see it, with or without Nicholas Needs-to-Be-Put-in-a-Cage—it belongs to an increasingly popular genre of movies depicting more or less realistic and/or authentic natural calamities, terror attacks, and other such depressing realities of the modern world. I see quite enough of those on the news, thank you; I have no desire to search them out in my television or movie entertainment.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2006, 06:32 PM

tears to your eyes? are you serious?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2006, 06:35 PM

I have to say, I'm in awe of Hollywood's ability to turn a unique historical event into a patchwork of disaster movie cliches.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
tears to your eyes? are you serious?
I have no sympathy for people who emo over 9/11 for no reason, but there are quite a few people who actually lost loved ones that day. Losing a loved one can take years to heal, and sometimes it never does. Mourning a loved one is something I can respect. That's a very good reason (in whatever way the term "good" applies) to continue to feel pain over 9/11.

Truth be told, I don't know whether or not His Dudeness lost anyone, but that's the kind of thing you've got to give people the benefit of the doubt over, you know?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I have no sympathy for people who emo over 9/11 for no reason, but there are quite a few people who actually lost loved ones that day. Losing a loved one can take years to heal, and sometimes it never does. Mourning a loved one is something I can respect. That's a very good reason (in whatever way the term "good" applies) to continue to feel pain over 9/11.

Truth be told, I don't know whether or not His Dudeness lost anyone, but that's the kind of thing you've got to give people the benefit of the doubt over, you know?
I thought he meant because the movie looks so crap...
we don't have time to stop for gas

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 04:37 AM

Sorry I'm so heartless, but I've been in the Navy for 18 years. There were a few military people killed at the Pentagon...

hart
Senior User
May 23, 2006, 09:42 AM

Me? No. I skimmed through the trailer with the sound off and found that disturbing enough. Maybe it's living in New York but I am absolutely not ready to be "entertained" by this event. For that matter, I don't like to be entertained by gawking at suffering in general. Movies like Schindler's List and that Rwanda movie are definitely not on my list. Reality is bad enough.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by funk ride
I like Oliver Stone's movies, and you can't go wrong with Nicholas Cage.
What is wrong with this sentence?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

paul w
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 11:01 AM

He peaked back in 1987.

adster
May 23, 2006, 11:02 AM

^^^ He's great! Adaptation is a cracking film.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by hart
Me? No. I skimmed through the trailer with the sound off and found that disturbing enough. Maybe it's living in New York but I am absolutely not ready to be "entertained" by this event. For that matter, I don't like to be entertained by gawking at suffering in general. Movies like Schindler's List and that Rwanda movie are definitely not on my list. Reality is bad enough.
You might have found it less disturbing if you'd heard that every single line was cribbed from some other cliched disaster movie. Reality tends to be more real.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by funk ride
you can't go wrong with Nicholas Cage.
National Treasure
Gone in Sixty Seconds
8MM
The Rock

adster
May 23, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
National Treasure
Gone in Sixty Seconds
8MM
The Rock

Was hoping you wouldn't bring those up

After seeing the trailer, I think Chuckit is bang on. It looks pretty formulaic, not what I thought Stone would do with a subject like that.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 11:43 AM

I wonder how long after Pearl Harbor it took for Hollywood to make a movie about it.

Monique
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 11:48 AM

I do not know if I am going to see it. It depends what kind of people would be sitting beside me. In Canada you cannot be too emotional. I am afraid I will have to bring a box of kleenex I am like dudeness the preview brought tears to my eyes. We will never be able to say it enough times; what the firemen and policemen did that day was totally heroic at the towers and at the pentagon.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2006, 12:03 PM

Honestly, Nicole Cage is severely miscasted in WTC movie. It's impossible for him to act serious and in this movie he still has funny look. Watch Windtalkers to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I like how they portrayed the fear that existed that day but they went overboard on emphasizing how hero these people were. I feel it should be left to audience to decide if they're hero or not, like Flight 93 movie.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2006, 12:05 PM

I'm waiting for Abraham & the Zuckers to make an Airplane! 3: Revenge of the Terrorist

Hey, if Hollywood's gonna put out cliche airplane movies, get the masters.

Robert Hayes and Julie Stagart are still around, it's perfect! And Leslie Nielson. We'll miss Lloyd Bridges, but I think Donald Moffat could play McKroskey pretty convincingly (he looks and sounds similar to Lloyd Bridges, it's weird.)

Untill then, I guess I'll have to settle for Snakes on a Plane.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2006, 12:15 PM

Please -- Oliver Stone is rediculously overrated. Don't get me wrong, I loved Platoon -- but everything he's made since then has been overwrought garbage.

Even JFK. Especially JFK....

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett
Please -- Oliver Stone is rediculously overrated.
Alexander anyone?

Forum Links
Forum Rules