Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I need a hard drive key

I need a hard drive key
His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 10:22 AM

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I have a removable hard drive and I need that little silver round key with the round end and the knob on one part of it... It's a round key that you use to lock the drive in place so the the desktop will boot.

Does anyone know what these things are technically called? Or who has one they can sell me? Or point me in the right direction? I'm in dire need here and I can't even find one on eBay because I have no idea what they're called so I can look for it.

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 11:43 AM

Okay, after about fifty bazillion phone calls to computer places and many webistes, I just ordered a new drive enclosure from Dell, since I am using a Dell desktop at school. Only 11 bucks and it comes with key(s). I guess you can't get the key separately...

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 12:15 PM

What kind of machine?
What kind of Drive?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 01:39 PM

It's a Dell Optiplex and the standard plastic chasis for a hard drive. I've used several before and I believe they are all the same with the same key. It's just that finding a spare key is tougher than getting laid by Catherine Bell for me.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 04:08 PM

I have $22. Can Catherine come by some time Friday or Saturday?....

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 04:50 PM

too late. she already said 50 was good enough from me.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
It's just that finding a spare key is tougher than getting laid by Catherine Bell for me.
I really appreciate what you've done here, clarifying that not all of us have the same trouble getting laid by Catherine as you seem to have.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
It's a Dell Optiplex...
We've bought 5 Dell PowerEdge servers. 3 of them have died at one point or another within the first year. The most impressive death was plugging the server in for the first time, smelling burned electroncis, then POOF! A huge cloud of smoke. We had to get fans in there and air everything out as the smoke was toxic.

Hold onto the tray/sled. You're going to need it eventually when the plastic handle breaks.

Ah, Dell, what would we do for entertainment in the server room without you?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
We've bought 5 Dell PowerEdge servers. 3 of them have died at one point or another within the first year. The most impressive death was plugging the server in for the first time, smelling burned electroncis, then POOF! A huge cloud of smoke. We had to get fans in there and air everything out as the smoke was toxic.

Hold onto the tray/sled. You're going to need it eventually when the plastic handle breaks.

Ah, Dell, what would we do for entertainment in the server room without you?
Our Dells actually haven't been a big problem in our server room. Of course we only have a half a dozen, and we don't replace them all that often. (An overwhelming majority of our servers are XServes.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Our Dells actually haven't been a big problem in our server room. Of course we only have a half a dozen, and we don't replace them all that often. (An overwhelming majority of our servers are XServes.)
You've been lucky (or we've been unlucky.) The the other 2 servers didn't die, but the NICs did, which required us to replace the entire motherboard. The only server that truely died was the one that went up in smoke.

We have rendered 2 trays useless when the plastic handle broke. I think I complained about that in another thread. I was marveling at the aluminum metal handles on the XServes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
You've been lucky (or we've been unlucky.) The the other 2 servers didn't die, but the NICs did, which required us to replace the entire motherboard. The only server that truely died was the one that went up in smoke.

We have rendered 2 trays useless when the plastic handle broke. I think I complained about that in another thread. I was marveling at the aluminum metal handles on the XServes.
I think we had a RAID controller die on one of them once. Dell was out the next day and replaced it. Aside from that they're still trucking along.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules