Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does first generation US immigrants prefer their country's Professionals for services

Does first generation US immigrants prefer their country's Professionals for services
prakash
Feb 15, 2007, 10:53 PM

Hi

I am working on a marketing assignment, and doing some market analysis.

My question is,

Does a first generation immigrant in US, prefer their home country professional for Tax,Accounting and Immigration Legal services?

Yes/ No and what is the reason?

Does an indian immigrant in US, prefer an indian immigration lawyer,accountant?

Does a chinese immigrant in US, prefer a chinese immigration lawyer,accountant?

If so what is the reason? If not so what is the reason?

Looking forward to your replies.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 05:51 PM

The answer is yes, but don't put them all in the sack because the smarter ones (and those who speak the US official language) shop around the whole spectrum.

There's a "sense" of security due to the fluent communication between a client and a proffessional service. The trust is not the same if the communication was not as fluent.

Of course, proffessionals who can target non-English speaking immigrants can become a scammy monopoly in their city, which is why it is important to shop around.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 06:21 PM

My answer is no. As a first generation immigrant, I've never looked specifically for a German to handle any of my professional service needs. Your mileage may vary, depending on what group you come from.

andi*pandi
Feb 16, 2007, 06:51 PM

My mother in law always tries to find Romanian service providers, if they exist. Also, however, in the normal course of asking friends and relatives (mostly romanians) for recommendations, thats what she gets. It's who you know.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 16, 2007 at 11:47 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Feb 16, 2007, 06:56 PM

I have a close friend (she was in my wedding) who is a dental hygienist. She is in very high demand in Minneapolis because she speaks fluent Russian. She makes about 50% more than others in her field. Many of her clients feel more comfortable around her because there is less of a chance of confusion and miscommunication. She speaks Russian because her parents were Russian Jews who defected when she was born. And she was a Canadian who now has American citizenship.

So I'd say "yes" just for the language reason. But "not necessarily" for the patriotism reasons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules