Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > i gota ask

i gota ask
Fresh and Clean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2002, 05:23 AM

Kia Ora!
I remember when I fist saw the iMac in '98 I think it was, it was the coolest thing ever. 4 years later I did it, I switched to mac.

I've got an iMac G4 combo on order it'll be with me in a few days. I can't wait to open up my brand new fresh and clean computer. But there is some things i would like to know:

I have a Toshiba 2510CDS from '99 running Windows ME. On this laptop I have a gig and a half of mp3 and as i won't have a cd-writer untill I get my iMac and even then the Toshiba will not be able to use it, how can i copy my files?

When the iMac is in sleep am I able to have the computer connected to the internet downloading or will it 'cut off'?

Is it safe to use sleep and not shut down at night?

How much noise comes off the computer when it is in sleep?

How much ram do you think i will need to run Windows XP Pro well with vPc?

What type of RAM does iMacy use?

Is Office X for mac the best in its type?

Am i able to use a plug to connect the iMac to my TV to view DVD's like the iBook?

thanks alot....i know i've asked a lot but cheers
2002 iMac G4 Combo

Jens Peter
Senior User
Aug 30, 2002, 07:30 AM

Hi!

I can answer a few of your questions...

Yes, you can move your files from your PC to the iMac. The way I do it, is through a local network. From my mac, i choose 'Go -> Connect to server' and then I can mount the shared folder on the pc, on the mac's desktop. Open it, and use drag'n'drop.

You can also have the computer connected to the internet while it sleeps. just remember to make sure, that your harddrive dosen't go to sleep when the screen does.

When my iMac sleeps, it hardly makes a noise - but I have to say, that I have one of the old iMac's without a fan. My guess is, that the new ones that have a fan, makes the same amount of noise when sleeping, as when running normal.

If office X is the best, I don't know. But I use it, and for me it's the best. Where I work, word documents are the standard for documentation and I haven't had any problems with it.

Hope you can use my answers...

/Jens Peter

kingskel
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 09:44 AM

Hi:

Another way to copy your files is to do as I did: get a small "crossover" ethernet cable (maybe five bucks - I got mine from work), and stick it in the ethernet ports of both machines. Turn sharing on on the Windows machine. Select "Go to" from the menu as Jens suggested. You have to enter your password. As I don't use Windows and just wanted to transfer one file, I had to do a bit of tinkering, but it worked fine for me - the drive or folder appears on the desktop and you can move files to and from it.

As far as sleep, I had my beige G3 (overclocked!) on _all the time_ for three or four years and no problems. I guess I don't recommend that, but my point is it runs pretty stable with no sleep issues.

As far as noise, my old beige was pretty noisy but I believe that was mostly due to the fan of the ATI Radeon that I added. I just got an iMac 17" and it's super quiet. I heard the new PowerMacs are pretty noisy though.

As far as VPC/XP I would check out http://www.macwindows.com as they have a lot of info of that sort.

I personally would recommend at least 512 RAM - I use 768. Things run noticeably smoother. Noticeably.

I don't use Office X, or any Microsoft products and I get by. BTW, X ships with Internet Explorer, but check out OmniWeb and Chimera - they look better and Chimera is hella faster.

I don't know about TV out, sorry. You could ask in the Multimedia forum here.

Hope this helps.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Fresh and Clean:
Kia Ora!
I remember when I fist saw the iMac in '98 I think it was, it was the coolest thing ever. 4 years later I did it, I switched to mac.

I've got an iMac G4 combo on order it'll be with me in a few days. I can't wait to open up my brand new fresh and clean computer. But there is some things i would like to know:

I have a Toshiba 2510CDS from '99 running Windows ME. On this laptop I have a gig and a half of mp3 and as i won't have a cd-writer untill I get my iMac and even then the Toshiba will not be able to use it, how can i copy my files?

When the iMac is in sleep am I able to have the computer connected to the internet downloading or will it 'cut off'?

Is it safe to use sleep and not shut down at night?

How much noise comes off the computer when it is in sleep?

How much ram do you think i will need to run Windows XP Pro well with vPc?

What type of RAM does iMacy use?

Is Office X for mac the best in its type?

Am i able to use a plug to connect the iMac to my TV to view DVD's like the iBook?

thanks alot....i know i've asked a lot but cheers
1. They answered this pretty well
2. Yes it will cut off, that is the definition of sleep, not using resources, just power
3. I never shut down my Ti powerbook, i just put the screen to sleep and its been fine
4. My iMac doesn't make ANY noise when its asleep
5. You won't be able to run XP on VPC it just won' t happen. But to run 98, i would suggest atleast 1Gig
6. Office X is the best version of office, although i am starting to move completly away from M$ products
7. i BELIEVE so, but i've never tried it

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2002, 07:46 PM

Solidage, I dunno about not running XP... I wouldn't try, but it's possible. I've got the same model iMac, and it runs 2k like crap. think 400 Mhz P2, tops... But he's right, more RAM is better. I went w/ just 256 until about 15 min ago, and I'm revelling in the extra ram 512 is realy a comfortable minimum.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

JNG
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 09:35 PM

I don't think any Mac is going to run XP under Virtual PC (or any of the other emulation solutions) very well. I recommend Windows NT 4 Workstation for this if you can get it, as the NT based Windows are better overall. Windows 2000 would be a bit slow too, but NT 4 is sort of stripped down and runs OK even in Virtual PC-if you've got enough RAM. Get as much as you can; it's a worthwhile investment and the earlier in the lifetime of the computer you do it, the more value it has. My old Indigo iMac 350 with 640 MB RAM ran NT 4 well under Virtual PC 5. Also, NT 4 doesn't really take up that much disk space for an install.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 31, 2002, 01:58 AM

The iMac cannot connect to a TV without 3rd party adapters (and even then I don't know if DVDs will show up on the external display. Besides, the adapter costs more than a standalone DVD player, so just get one of those no-name ones for $60 that they have at CompUSA twice a month.

tooki

Fresh and Clean  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2002, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by JNG:
I don't think any Mac is going to run XP under Virtual PC (or any of the other emulation solutions) very well. I recommend Windows NT 4 Workstation for this if you can get it, as the NT based Windows are better overall. Windows 2000 would be a bit slow too, but NT 4 is sort of stripped down and runs OK even in Virtual PC-if you've got enough RAM. Get as much as you can; it's a worthwhile investment and the earlier in the lifetime of the computer you do it, the more value it has. My old Indigo iMac 350 with 640 MB RAM ran NT 4 well under Virtual PC 5. Also, NT 4 doesn't really take up that much disk space for an install.
The vPc website say it can run XP on 256mb or ram...is this fake?
2002 iMac G4 Combo

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2002, 05:19 PM

It is correct. The question is, will you be satisfied with the performance of XP in VPC with 256mb ram?

Some people say yes, some say no.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules