Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The price of gas these days...

The price of gas these days...
His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 07:31 AM

My wife just got a job as the manager of a large convenience store and gas station. She told me that she pays the oil companies $1.05 per gallon for gas. Here in the Hampton Roads area, regular gas is now $2.55 or so. Two weeks ago it was $2.11. Now how about the phrase: price gouging.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 13, 2005, 08:11 AM

Heh, you're welcome to fill'er up over here. Went by a gas station this morning and nearly drove my car in the river ... € 1,28 per ltr. Yes, that's $6.03 for a gallon of gas. Fudgepickles.

In that sense - shush, I don't wanna hear it.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 13, 2005, 08:12 AM

Does she know how much goes towards taxes?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 08:12 AM

and Canadians are paying $1.00 CDN which is like 60 Euro Cents hehe and we are bitching about it
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 13, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
and Canadians are paying $1.00 CDN which is like 60 Euro Cents hehe and we are bitching about it
Whiners.

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Does she know how much goes towards taxes?
I think twenty or twenty five cents is added for taxes. So about $1.40 or so, then after the pump price of $2.55...

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by effgee
Heh, you're welcome to fill'er up over here. Went by a gas station this morning and nearly drove my car in the river ... € 1,28 per ltr. Yes, that's $6.03 for a gallon of gas. Fudgepickles.

In that sense - shush, I don't wanna hear it.

Was it that expensive before the switch to the Euro? Which is, was, a big mistake in my opinion. I remember going to Naples, Italy and getting about 2000 lire to the US Dollar. Now it costs about $35 USD for dinner over there.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by effgee
Whiners.

and of that almost 50% of it is taxes too
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 13, 2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
Was it that expensive before the switch to the Euro? Which is, was, a big mistake in my opinion. I remember going to Naples, Italy and getting about 2000 lire to the US Dollar. Now it costs about $35 USD for dinner over there.
Prices have risen across the board since the introduction of the Euro - shortly after the introduction, most business owners thought they could make a quick buck off of confused consumers and the first 6-9 months were rather painful (especially where "commodities" were concerned; e.g., groceries, clothing, etc.). Things have balanced out considerably though - if I were forced to hazard a halfway educated guess, I'd say that in comparison (and taking into consideration stuff like inflation, etc.), prices are about 3-5% higher these days, maybe a bit less.

What makes gas so fscking expensive over here is the taxes. I'm not 100% sure, but I think (last time I looked at the pump - most gas stations put stickers with the current tax rate on 'em) out of the € 1.28 for a liter of gas, approx. € 1.10 are taxes (one of the resident Krauts correct me if I'm blatantly off here).

I wouldn't even complain about those tax rates if all of the revenue was really used the way it's supposed to be - maintenance of roads, improving public transportation, etc. But there's still way too many (semi-)rural areas where you have a b!tch of a time if you try to catch a bus to get to the next town/city (my parents live in such a village and there's maybe 4 buses a day that go to the next larger city).

"Eco-tax", they call it - and a sizeable portion of the €'s it generates seem to disappear in the usual swamp of bureaucracy. Maybe the term "Eco" wasn't referring to "ecology" but to "political ecosystem", after all.

Like I said: fudgepickles, the whole lot of them.

Overall, the introduction of the Euro was a good thing for all the countries with "weak" currencies (e.g., Italy *g*), the Krauts however, got (in the short term, at least) the short(er) end of the stick when they gave up the D-Mark.
( Last edited by effgee; Aug 13, 2005 at 08:41 AM. )

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 08:39 AM

Don't forget: the oil companies are making record profits off these artificially inflated prices.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 13, 2005, 08:44 AM

Don't forget: the oil companies are making record profits off these artificially inflated prices.
Yup - they were included in "fudgepickles". But at least, not that that would count for much in my book, they're "openly" greedy and don't tell me "it's all for the greater good of the environment" while reaching into my pockets.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2005, 09:09 AM

Not to defend the oil company markups, but almost any product you buy ends up having a huge (50% or more) markup from actual cost. This is how stores can have 20, 30, 40% off sales (especially clothes, furniture, etc.). Companies don't get by charging a 5 or 10 percent markup on items across the board, they have to use the big markups to pay for their buildings, taxes, payroll, etc.

I only mention this because I'm working as a Property Manager right now and we take 30 - 35% commission on the vacation rentals from the owner of the properties for renting their place. Seems like a lot, but realistically, after we pay for our facilities, 70+ employees, 24 hr front desk, 2 Concierges, 1 Golf coordinator, business software and computers, a web site, 3 full time accountants, etc. etc. etc. we probably spend 25% or more on expenses and actually only "keep" a single-digit percentage of the actual funds as profit. Ask your wife what the markup percentage is on, say, a 20oz Coca-Cola, I don't think it'll be a whole lot different.

The big difference with gas is, there is a very steady and constant demand. If supply price goes up 50%, then they can sell it for 50% more without too much problem ... people and business are still going to buy it. If the supply price of Coke goes up 50%, people might switch to, say, Hawaiian Punch or just drink less soda unless Coca Cola meets the consumer half-way and reduces their profit margin to keep Coke at a reasonable price. Coke is, after all, not really a necessity. Oil companies don't really face that sort of pressure ... people will (grudgingly perhaps) continue to buy as much as they need to do the things they need to do.

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 09:35 AM

I highly doubt that demand has gone up 50% in the last year. I don't see 50% more cars on the roads. And don't blame this inflated number on the suv's on the road. 50% of vehicles aren't suv's. It's price gouging, pure and simple.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 13, 2005, 09:52 AM

Great for me. My oil stocks are up immensely, and my hybrid sips gas.

P.S I just learned the Mac US keyboard shortcut for the Euro:

Option 4 -> ¢
Option 3 -> £
Option y -> ¥
Option-Shift 2 -> €

The first three make intuitive sense, but the 4th one doesn't. (4 is the $ key, and 3 is the # key.)

I highly doubt that demand has gone up 50% in the last year. I don't see 50% more cars on the roads. And don't blame this inflated number on the suv's on the road. 50% of vehicles aren't suv's. It's price gouging, pure and simple.
Who in this thread said demand has gone up 50%?!?! Who in this thread mentioned SUVs?!?!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 10:03 AM

What we need is to cut down our personal oil expenditure. I won't expect factories and businesses to use less fuel, because they tend to be more efficient than a regular person. If people get less SUVs more hybrids, more carpools, and less air conditioning, the demand go down forcing oil companies to lower their markups.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 10:35 AM

What is funny is, oil companies are making more money now than they ever did.

So why the hike?

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2005, 10:41 AM

And all of the people consuming their non-renewable resources protest when prices rise!

Well, whether we like it not, we will have to switch eventually to a different fuel for cars, hydrogen if that pans out (people seem to still disagree), maybe pure electric. Hybrids are certainly a good step forward now. We have a limited resource, AND it junks up our planet. It kind of makes sense to drive vehicles with better fuel efficiencies and have a little more of a consciense. I suppose Hybrids or Hummers, we will still run out of gas eventually, but if people were less wasteful we would have a lot more time... while at the same time....the sooner we run out of gas, the sooner people (and manufacterers) will truly spend their resources on better, more positive steps in the auto industry. It would be nice though, to see some alternative fuel cars out there before it is too late for all petrol-fueled cars.

/eck! $2.51 here by the way.
yep.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
What is funny is, oil companies are making more money now than they ever did.

So why the hike?
?

Basically, demand, supply, stability, and the commodities brokers dictate prices.

As long as there is only slowly increasing supply, jittery feelings about the stability of that supply, increasing demand (ie. China), and no significant improvements in other methods of delivering usable energy, we will potentially have to pay high oil costs.

And you can be 100% sure that if an oil producer makes more off a barrel of oil, it's not going to take a loss on the retail side at the pumps just to even things out.

I'm just glad that I don't have to pay US$75 for a fillup, and that I can make money off the rise too with my oil stocks.

tgags
Aug 13, 2005, 10:46 AM

Makes this site even funnier...
http://www.sierraclubplus.org/hummerdinger/

I have an SUV, but it's a Honda CRV, 4 cyl (same engine as the Accord). I average 28mpg, not bad.

But yea, I think the hybrid is the future (and if I understand it correctly, I think there are incentives now with the new energy bill).

TG

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
?

Basically, demand, supply, stability, and the commodities brokers dictate prices.

As long as there is only slowly increasing supply, jittery feelings about the stability of that supply, increasing demand (ie. China), and no significant improvements in other methods of delivering usable energy, we will potentially have to pay high oil costs.

And you can be 100% sure that if an oil producer makes more off a barrel of oil, it's not going to take a loss on the retail side at the pumps just to even things out.

I'm just glad that I don't have to pay US$75 for a fillup, and that I can make money off the rise too with my oil stocks.
What is going to happen is, if this trend continues. We will just find another source of energy.

And all those oil companies will either go under, or have to change to make something else.

And your stocks wont be worth much.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 10:57 AM

I can't wait to see the $3.00/gallon mark on regular gas...yeah, I'm excited.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 11:06 AM

Rickey, gas is already over $3/gallon in Canada, and twice that in Europe. And I saw premium at just under $3 in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by Kevin
What is going to happen is, if this trend continues. We will just find another source of energy.

And all those oil companies will either go under, or have to change to make something else.

And your stocks wont be worth much.
? Yeah, if I'm stupid enough to watch my stocks slowly dwindle down to nothing, I guess I deserve to lose my money.

The rise of other technologies to provide energy is inevitable, especially since oil reserves are finite. Of course, that switch will occur over decades. It's not as if oil investors will wake up one day and find that all ten of their $50 oil stocks are now worth 3¢ each, because everyone switched to solar power the day before. Furthermore, any smart investor will diversify.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 11:14 AM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 11:15 AM

Soon everyone will wake up and realize that we need to be drilling oil that exists in our country. We are purchasing oil from our enemies!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Soon everyone will wake up and realize that we need to be drilling oil that exists in our country. We are purchasing oil from our enemies!

meelk
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 12:01 PM

Because most of you seem clueless: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
I wont bother arguing with you. Those of you in the know will secure a future for yourselves, the others will get to enjoy a great depression that will make the first one look like a holiday.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
Because most of you seem clueless: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
I wont bother arguing with you. Those of you in the know will secure a future for yourselves, the others will get to enjoy a great depression that will make the first one look like a holiday.
These are rational, professional, conservative individuals
Pfft so much for that credibility huh?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 12:10 PM

I think twenty or twenty five cents is added for taxes. So about $1.40 or so, then after the pump price of $2.55...
I think you are mistaken. Check those taxes again. I'll check my local taxes and update this thread. Most gas stations make about 8% on gas purchases.

See http://articles.roshd.ir/articles_fo...ces%20Work.htm

Chris

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 12:27 PM

A link from your link.

I've been considering dumping a portion of my oil stocks actually. I don't think these $65+ per barrel prices are sustainable in the near term.

But then again, that's what I said about Apple when it hit $35. And now it's $92 ($46 plus split).

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2005, 12:55 PM

Good news is: they are drilling new wells here.
In my normal travels, within a 40 mile radius of home
there are dozens of new wells being drilled.
Most all are oil and several neighbors have gas wells.

ambush
Banned
Aug 13, 2005, 01:12 PM

Yeah, only problem is that you're purchasing almost everything from other countries

Your country alone could never provide enough oil to feed all your SUVs and Hummers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/Business/
Economists expected the trade deficit to widen to $57.2-billion in June from $55.3-billion in May, mainly due to a 13 per cent spike in oil prices during the month.

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
Yeah, only problem is that you're purchasing almost everything from other countries

Your country alone could never provide enough oil to feed all your SUVs and Hummers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/Business/
I told you someone would blame the suv's. They always do.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 01:22 PM

I paid $2.79 a gallon for regular unleaded in Cleveland, Ohio yesterday night. Insane.

ambush
Banned
Aug 13, 2005, 01:23 PM

SUVs spew out 43 percent more global-warming pollutants - 28 pounds of carbon dioxide per gallon of gas consumed - and 47 percent more air pollution than the average car, using 1 million barrels of oil a day.
Americans contribute 25 percent of the world's human-generated carbon dioxide
But why would car makers like GM and Ford stop making SUVs? It's the market that's the most lucrative for them. Economists say it's their only source of profit, these days.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 01:25 PM

ambush is on his "I just turned 18, and need something to live for rant"

ambush
Banned
Aug 13, 2005, 01:28 PM

Buying a sport utility vehicle can be tempting - but it's important to understand that it may mean extra expenses. Automakers have been able to charge high prices for sport utility vehicles (SUVs) making them very profitable. The light trucks - including SUVs - now make about half of vehicle sales in the U.S. But light trucks provide about two-thirds of profits for the Big Three automakers. While U.S. automakers make little or no profit on other passenger cars, a large SUV like the Ford Excursion can bring $12,000 to $20,000 in profits. (1) No wonder automakers are pushing them on consumers so aggressively!
Reply to the facts and try not to Ad Hominem all over the place.

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 01:32 PM

I don't believe the sources for that information at all. I drive the highways all the time, both for personal use and driving my 5 ton truck for the Navy all day. I can tell you right now that I don't see that many suv's on the road.

And how much of the world depends on the economy of the US versus that of Quebec?

ambush
Banned
Aug 13, 2005, 01:40 PM

I don't believe the sources for that information at all. I drive the highways all the time, both for personal use and driving my 5 ton truck for the Navy all day. I can tell you right now that I don't see that many suv's on the road.

And how much of the world depends on the economy of the US versus that of Quebec?
Well, what part of "way lower MPG" is failling to penetrate your thick skull today?

Oh and hard facts for your thick skull. From the US Census Bureau. So you don't criticize sources.

Oh and this is ALL in USD.

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/...1220.html#2005

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 01:43 PM

Damn dude, what crawled up your ass and died? Thick skull???

I still don't beiieve that source. I've seen too many of polls skewed to favor the desired outcome of the environmentalists.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 01:43 PM

I can tell you right now that I don't see that many suv's on the road.
I think it depends upon where you live. In the Denver area, I'd say at least 50% of the vehicles on the road are SUVs. I think vehicle tastes are like fashion tastes, and SUVs are just popular here. I don't own any, though.

Chris

ambush
Banned
Aug 13, 2005, 01:49 PM

Damn dude, what crawled up your ass and died? Thick skull???

I still don't beiieve that source. I've seen too many of polls skewed to favor the desired outcome of the environmentalists.
Yeah ok, but you do believe your own census bureau, who says your trade balance is in the red? Even with Canada?

Good boy.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 02:04 PM

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 02:10 PM

I always hear that the suv is sucking down all the gas, but I never hear about all the transfer trucks, 18 wheelers, bread trucks, UPS trucks, Fedex trucks, postal trucks...

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2005, 04:22 PM

I always hear that the suv is sucking down all the gas, but I never hear about all the transfer trucks, 18 wheelers, bread trucks, UPS trucks, Fedex trucks, postal trucks...
All the trucks you mention are used because they are far more efficient at carrying large quantities of goods compared to what their costs are. Same reason a bus carrying 25 passengers is more efficient than 25 individuals all driving their own personal cars. Yes, the bus is way worse than any car, but its theoretically keeping 25 cars off the road. The 18-wheeler is carrying more than what 50 SUVs could carry. How many small cars (or SUVs even) would it take to carry what a FedEx step van can carry. 3 ? ... 4 ?

That's why you don't hear so much b!tching about them.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 04:26 PM

the levels of ignorance and idiocy in this post are alarming.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 04:28 PM

Oh no! Something is going up in price! Just like everything else we buy over time it becomes more expensive!

The rising prices of cars far outweigh the cost of fueling them. Get used to it, they did in the UK.

I'll still buy gas when its 3.50, and it will HOPEFULLY make people drive less, because the price would die if the demand went down. But nope, we Americans want to drive vehicles that get 10 MPG BRAND NEW and still get cheap gas.

Retarded.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 04:30 PM

Uhh that would be diesel, and where would you be without those 18 wheelers? Ill tell you, you certainly wouldn't be able to buy anything from anywhere. Its the idiots with SUVs going to market that drives up costs, not legitimate businesses that need that fuel constantly.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 05:19 PM

Heh. Today, I've seen prices listed at 100.0 CAD ¢ per litre locally for the first time. Some of the gas stations had to shut off their signs and put up cardboard posters, because the signs don't display enough digits.

These gas stations were built a many years back when gas was closer to the 60¢/L range, but it seems like that's just bad planning...

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 05:32 PM

hm....

Ok... so on a Macnn road trip, the Macnner's see 1 dude driving a Ford mustang... and 1 dude driving a Honda Pilot.....

Which gets pummeled for "ruining the environment"?

His Dudeness  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Uhh that would be diesel, and where would you be without those 18 wheelers? Ill tell you, you certainly wouldn't be able to buy anything from anywhere. Its the idiots with SUVs going to market that drives up costs, not legitimate businesses that need that fuel constantly.

So a family doesn't need fuel to get around? And diesel ain't cheap, either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules