Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > have been trying to cross platform network for a week, help!

have been trying to cross platform network for a week, help!
Editgrrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 10:45 AM

I'm running 10.3.9 on G5 and Win2000 on a Gateway laptop.
I've been trying to network the two via crossover ethernet cable and have been having no luck.

When I attempt to contact the pc from the mac (Go>Connect to server>smb://win ip address/workgroup), it connects to the computer and asks me for a password. I type in the username (Administrator as far as I can tell) and the password. It gives me an error code -50, sometimes another code I think it was -46.

When I try to connect from the Windows machine (add network place>\\mac ip\home folder, or \\name of mac\home folder)it tells me the network is not found.

I've also done the same from the Run menu in Windows but again, get network not found.

I know zip about networking but am getting a crash course. I've done everything I can think to do including call Apple Care, post on three other boards, go through the Joel Schumaker articles, go through the Apple articles, and do a rain dance.

It worked one time a long time ago from the windows to the mac but never worked again. I dont' remember exactly what I did.

Help--? I've got a project on the laptop that needs to be transferred to the mac. Thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2005, 05:05 PM

I think the Windows user you need to use should start with //computer name/. If the machine is called "Win2K,' your username should look like "//Win2K/username" (If I got the slashes in the right direction...).

And it's not unusual to have some issues with connecting between the two platforms, though XP is much friendlier than 2K for this sort of thing.

Give that a try and see how it works for you. And let us know whether or not you're connecting.

Finally, WELCOME to the MacNN Forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules