Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Blue/White G3 400 Jumper Settings On HD and CD? Help?

Blue/White G3 400 Jumper Settings On HD and CD? Help?
deTaNg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 07:51 PM

Hi all, I've been reading these forums for quite a few months and as an I'd like to say this a great place for Mac information. Now to the question.

I have a Blue/White G3 400Mhz and the original CD drive has been replaced with a new Internal Apple ReWritable Drive. The hard drive is the stock 12 GB drive and works well. I'm trying to upgrade to System X (10.1.3). But the installation disk won't boot, instead giving me a broken folder. *The Mac OS 9.2 install disk will run fine. When I change the Master jumper on the Hard Drive to slave the 10.1 install disk will read fine but won't be able to see the Hard Drive. What can I do to make it possible to let the CD RW boot with the 10.1 and still see the HD so I can write the System to it?

I've tried to work with various jumper settings with no avail. Everything else is good in the computer.. the original Zip drive works also. The jumper setting is set to slave also on the Zip.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 1, 2003, 02:34 AM

The jumper settings should be:

CD: master
zip: slave
HD: master

That said, you may just have a bad 10.1 CD. I suggest you get a fresh 10.2 CD and see what happens with it.

tooki

deTaNg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by tooki:

That said, you may just have a bad 10.1 CD. I suggest you get a fresh 10.2 CD and see what happens with it.

I've tried those settings for the jumpers. The 10.1 CD I've used in installations before and have worked fine. Also, the 10.1 will boot if I turn the Hard Disk into slave mode. It just won't recognize the Hard Disk is there.

btw: I've tried directly copying the complete CD and it reads and verifies fine also. It's just this specific time it's a conundrum to me. Any help?

cocamix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 10:50 AM

Is yours a Rev 1 B&W? There are problems with the IDE controller running master/slave configs on those systems. Check XLR8yourmac.com for their story on it.

deTaNg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 01:52 PM

Okay, I finally figured out, well not figured but by luck got the darn thing to work. When I unplugged the ATA connection on the motherboard end for the Hard Drive the drive became seeable and was able to start up using the 10.1 disk.

I became upset that I figured if the HD was master then hell I'll unplug and then plug while it's still turned on. (since the 10.1 CD would run if the HD was on slave) So I did and pulled out the motherboard end of the ATA cable.

I'm figuring there was probably maybe some sort of bad line residing in the connectors on the motherboard to the cable that might have inhibited the OS X to see or let it run. Dumb luck I suppose. Annoying as heck.

Thank heavens it's over!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules