Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dented PowerBook

Dented PowerBook
gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2003, 11:48 PM

Help! Tonight being the klutz I am, I knocked my new book (3 months old) off of the table and onto the floor. Now there is a nasty dent on the lower left hand corner. I know that apple care doesn't cover accidents/abuse, but does anyone know how much we're talking to get it fixed?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 11:51 PM

Ouch!!! Apple would charge an insane amount to repair that I'm sure...more than you'd wanna pay. By chance, did you purchase it with Amex or have any other credit card protection purchase plan on it that'll cover accidental damages? Will your homeowners cover this? Check into any insurance routes you can before heading to Apple about it.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 11:53 PM

I dropped my first generation tibook and did similar damage. $300 was the cost, but the repair was excellent, almost the entire casing was replaced along with the latch. The repair was extremely fast, it only took 3 days total from the initial phone call.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by quadgrande:
I dropped my first generation tibook and did similar damage. $300 was the cost, but the repair was excellent, almost the entire casing was replaced along with the latch. The repair was extremely fast, it only took 3 days total from the initial phone call.
Wow, that's a very surprisingly low cost! I had imagined much more...well then, if your credit card won't cover it and no insurance pathways will, I guess you'll be looking at around that cost to have Apple fix it. Hopefully your card will cover it, good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

gauchogirl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 12:10 AM

Thanks so much, I cannot believe I did that!

When sending the book in for repair, will they give you an estimate of the cost, or do you get to be surprised when they're finished? $300 is a lot lower than I had anticipated as well, that makes it not *quite* as bad

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2003, 12:14 AM

They told me the amount before I agreed. They had separate amounts based on the type of repair. They classified mine as "outer case repair" or something like that. Basically it was designed to cover all user-created problems with the latch/case. When I dropped mine, the latch wasn't working, and there was a dent in one of the corners.

I also had Applecare, but they said because it was user error, it wasn't covered, and I don't believe I got a break because of my subscription.

gauchogirl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 12:21 AM

Thanks for your help quadgrande. Everything seems to be working okay, the mouse is more noisy, but seems to be working all right so I suppose I'll just have to wait a while to repair it. This is my first mac, and I'm not used to their warranty...the one for Dell is much, much different.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2003, 12:30 AM

Well, the warranty is pretty simple. For user error ( drops, set on fire, etc ), there's no warranty. They seem to classify repairs categorically, like outer shell, motherboard, hard drive, etc.

And there are set fees for repairing "classes" of user error problems.

If the problem is not user related, you have a 30-day software (questions regarding "How do I ....", etc ), and a 1 year hardware ( my computer won't boot because hard drive, etc.) warranty.

The Apple Care support ( ~$300 for laptops ) can be purchased ANYTIME in the first year of ownership, and covers ALL support for 3 years. You can call them with any question. But it still doesn't cover user error

gauchogirl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 12:38 AM

Ah, okay that makes sense
Thanks!

P.S. The people here are so much nicer than on PC forums, it's a nice change...

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2003, 01:37 AM

quad, you actually get 90 days of free tech support over the phone when you buy apple care. Just so you know.

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

OpenStep
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 01:40 AM

Ah just tape it up
Same thing happened to my G4/400 a year ago. I tripped over the cord and it hit corner first into the carpet and dented/crushed/separated the corner part, broke the white border and bent the bottom part. I taped it up and it lasted a good year. The backlight wore out after the warranty and the machine went back to Apple and they ended up replacing the screen, logic board,keyboard(that got damaged in the fall too) and even the upper and lower casing I broke when it fell for $320 flat fee! It's like using a new laptop after the repair

GlobalNomad
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by gauchogirl:
Help! Tonight being the klutz I am, I knocked my new book (3 months old) off of the table and onto the floor. Now there is a nasty dent on the lower left hand corner. I know that apple care doesn't cover accidents/abuse, but does anyone know how much we're talking to get it fixed?
Thats nothing...

I once dropped my old Toshiba laptop...
I got out of the car and picked up my computer bag unpside down... The computer fell out! It landed on the corner which screwed up some of the plastic... It then proceded to slided down the hill untill it hit a parked car 15 feet away. Its really funny looking back at it.

however all was good, only a few scratches...

Forum Links
Forum Rules