Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Frustrations with Spearhead

Frustrations with Spearhead
PJW
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2003, 09:56 PM

Let me just say that I am SO glad that these guys in the game are not an indication of the real soldiers who fought at the Bulge.

It's just a little annoying that as soon as one German gets into the lines, everyone starts screaming, "They've broken through!" and the game ends in a loss. Jesus. Couple that with the fact that my comp runs this game like ASS, and I'm having a very frustrating gaming experience.

Anyone else care to share your frustrations with Spearhead?
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2003, 10:28 PM

3 words - Laggy as Hell.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 01:58 AM

Yeah, same sort of experience. Lags quite hard when a good amount of action starts happening.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 12:13 PM

Lag or subpar 3D performance? There's a difference.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 12:34 PM

Not sure what the perceivable difference is between those two. I would describe it as jerky movements, and slight pauses in the action. Not like having a network server bog down and stop for a few seconds at a time. It's more jerky, and it really hurts my aim!

I wouldn't doubt if it was subpar 3D performance. Something needs to be done, cuz MoH:AA plays really nicely on my machine.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 04:07 AM

While the typical English definition of lag could apply to 3d performance, lag generally equates to network issues (net lag). At least it has in my 10+ years of online gaming. I use to MUD a lot back in high school, so that's where my frame of reference is when people talk about lag. Usually when I see lag in a game, the server stops responding so weird things happy, like in Diablo II, I can't interact with anything. With a Game like Ghost Recon, I see guys that walk in straight lines until they run into a wall. Sometimes there's warping issues. With a game like MOH, the clinet uses client side prediction so the client won't necessarily freeze in the manner you're describing if there's network issues. Although it probably would freeze if the network connection times out.

I usually don't see people referring to video card performance issues as lag. The symptons you described sound like video performance issues. Other terms I've used or seen used, choppy, slideshow, slows down, jerky

thurstonwhore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2003, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Not sure what the perceivable difference is between those two. I would describe it as jerky movements, and slight pauses in the action. Not like having a network server bog down and stop for a few seconds at a time. It's more jerky, and it really hurts my aim!

I wouldn't doubt if it was subpar 3D performance. Something needs to be done, cuz MoH:AA plays really nicely on my machine.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

i agree there's defintely something wrong with the game, Allied Assault plays like a dream on my DUAL 1.42, but Spearhead plays like a nightmare. The best way to describe is...extremely choppy, maybe there's just an issue with this game and my computer but its totally unplayable even with the graphics turned all the way down!!! and i also know for sure that there is nothing wrong with the computer so I'm praying that the update will fix this, cuz what a waste of money if they don't.
It's not a tumor!

Forum Links
Forum Rules