Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Please help me with PowerBook decision

Please help me with PowerBook decision
Thread Tools
justinf77
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 10:02 AM
 
Hi everyone. I need a little help deciding what to do with my PowerBook purchase, and this seems to be the perfect place to ask. Let me update you on my situation:

I sold my 15" Ti GigaBook for about $2150. I really did like the machine, but the casing felt a bit flimsy. I also sold it because I really wanted the durability of an AlBook and included BlueTooth. I am going to school in London for a year with occasional breaks in between, and want something that will last me about 2-3 years.

I mainly use my computer for web, email, and MS Office. I also like to watch DVDs on it. I use it for keeping track and touching up digital photos with iPhoto, and in the future intend to buy a DV camera to edit video and burn some DVDs with it. I am also going to be doing a lot of travelling, so portability is important, as is expense, so I am ruling out the 17".

This leads me with a few options:

- Buy the current 12" PowerBook maxed out from Appple with my ADC discount.

- Wait for Revision B of the 12" PowerBook and buy that maxed out.

- Wait for the elusive 15" AlBook, configured for my needs. Approx. $2200 with ADC discount I would bet.

If I go with the 12" PowerBook, I will need to buy an external display, as 12" is too small for my main machine. But being in London, I would need to buy two, one for here and one for London, due to differences in power standards. With the 15", I would have no problem using that as my main screen.

I go to London on 9/11 (ya I know), and am having trouble making this decision. If I wait and order the PowerBook from London, to use my ADC discount it will need to be shipped to the US (I think) and I will have to have my parents ship it over there (approx $80 I think).

So, knowing all of these factors, can you MacNN folks help me out with this decision... Right now I am leaning towards the new 15" AlBook and using my current iBook 700mhz G3 until purchase time. Thanks so much!

PS - I need BlueTooth because I will be getting a BT phone and using it as my main organizer for school. Thanks!
     
NeXTLoop
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 11:24 AM
 
Reading your post I was about to recommend just getting the 12" till you mentioned the iBook factor. If you already have a computer that will at least get you by, why not wait?
     
beachmark
Forum Regular
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: wellington (nz) amsterdam (nl) emeryville (usa)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 11:36 AM
 
1. be happy with waht you got and only when you experience that those configurations are not up to the job order a new one.

2. do not wait for update after update as every time powerbooks are updated and you wil lend up with nothing

3. order in the usa before travelling to europe. in europe the tax is really high (up to 21 per cent) AND EVERYBODY HAS TO PAY IT

4. listen good to the advice given in the multiple threads but do decide yourself
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb
     
justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 11:47 AM
 
Originally posted by beachmark:
1. be happy with waht you got and only when you experience that those configurations are not up to the job order a new one.

2. do not wait for update after update as every time powerbooks are updated and you wil lend up with nothing

3. order in the usa before travelling to europe. in europe the tax is really high (up to 21 per cent) AND EVERYBODY HAS TO PAY IT

4. listen good to the advice given in the multiple threads but do decide yourself
1 - I cannot be happy with what I have, because at the moment I do not own anything I am currently using my dad's iBook, which is fine because he will not need this machine until December again. I need to buy one for me.

2 - I do not wait for update after update. Aside from the TiBook, this is going to be the first Mac I use as my primary computer. I know updates will be here soon, and I want to get the best for my money, especially considering the one-time ADC discount.

3 - I would be ordering from the Apple Store USA via Developer Store. I will only be paying US taxes. The only extra charge would be having my parents ship the machine to London.

4 - Listening
     
neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 12:51 PM
 
It does seem likely that an Al 15" PB will be release in the next 60 days. I would be uncomfortable waiting for it with your tight schedule. Even if they announce it there might be a few week delay before they ship.

One idea we have been thinking of - buy an older Ti PB on eBay, use that for a few months till the new ones come out, buy the new one, transfer over the data, after it looks stable then sell the old one on eBay. This solution does have a lot of hassle factor associated and requires temporary use of some extra cash. My guess is that an older Ti book has already depreciated a lot and the value won't drop quickly after a new Al 'book comes out.

Here is Ti 400MHz with a current bid of $510.
Link
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.
     
Moose
Senior User
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 01:44 PM
 
Originally posted by neutrino23:
It does seem likely that an Al 15" PB will be release in the next 60 days.
It's great to see everybody following the MOSR rumor method:

If you predict something somewhat rational enough times, it will eventually happen.
     
fergnetserv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose,CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 02:09 PM
 
I happen to agree. If you wait you may wait and wait. I worked at Apple and every rumored release date was never close to the real release date.

I have been using a recondition 12" PB for the last 2 months. I have been creating a program for a play using a word processor, a couple of graphics programs and a page layout program all in 10.2.6. I have had no problems and can say that the screen area is not too small at all. I even have a 22" flat panel hooked up to my 800MP. I only used the PB in this way because I was testing it's limitations and it passed with flying colors.

I don't know what your discount would be but I can get you a reconditioned 12" PB with 256 RAM, 40 GB HD, Superdrive, Bluetooh enabled, 1 yr manufacture warranty with the 3yr Apple Care available for $1500 + Shipping. Apple even included the Apple decales when they repacked it.
( Last edited by fergnetserv; Jul 25, 2003 at 02:38 PM. )
[email protected]

MP800 with 22" Cinema Display and 17" Studio Display
17" PB G4 1.33
12" PB G4 867
iMac 700
     
justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 03:04 PM
 
Just so all of you know, the iBook I am using is available for me until late December, so I would not be without a computer in London. I am bringing it back for break from December - January.

In terms of a refurb 12", it sounds like a good deal, but with ADC I get the same machine new for under $1500, fully maxed out for about $1650.

I am really considering waiting for the 15" AlBook, and just using this iBook as my main machine until then.
     
juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 03:25 PM
 
Originally posted by justinf77:
Just so all of you know, the iBook I am using is available for me until late December, so I would not be without a computer in London. I am bringing it back for break from December - January.

In terms of a refurb 12", it sounds like a good deal, but with ADC I get the same machine new for under $1500, fully maxed out for about $1650.

I am really considering waiting for the 15" AlBook, and just using this iBook as my main machine until then.
Look at it this way... if you wait until december (at the latest) it will have been over a YEAR since the last 15" update.

I can't imagine we would NOT see an update by Christmas, though I hesitate to predict when as it's been predicted for many months.

So, I say use the iBook... then you can have your parents order the new 15" when it comes out, and you can simply pick it up when you're home for christmas break and even save yourself the shipping cost to London!

Oh, and BTW... if you think the Ti feels flimsy, you're going to think the same thing about the Al... they feel a BIT more rugged on the bottom... but the screen/base feels the same as my TiBook as far as being "cheaply" built (Apple's laptops are so far ahead of their PC counterparts in this regard, I highlight the word cheaply... it's a whole different world on that side).

The only thing that really makes the Al more
rugged is the fact that there's no paint to chip off, and I'll admit I DO like the hinges (similar to those in the iBook) a bit better... though I've never had a single problem with mine being "too tight" or some other such that others seem to have. Mine open with one hand without holding the machine in the other, have since I got it... maybe I got lucky.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.
     
MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 04:29 PM
 
I say get a 15" Ti book with bluetooth card. Ooops, you sold your Ti book already! Oh well, really, there is nothing out there at the moment that tops it. Looks like you are looking at a downgrade.

p.s. dont even think about buying a laptop outsidde the US. Particularly London. The prices are much more expensive.
     
justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 05:41 PM
 
Originally posted by MusicalTone:
I say get a 15" Ti book with bluetooth card. Ooops, you sold your Ti book already! Oh well, really, there is nothing out there at the moment that tops it. Looks like you are looking at a downgrade.

p.s. dont even think about buying a laptop outsidde the US. Particularly London. The prices are much more expensive.
No need for an attitude. I asked for some advice based on my situation. The hinges on my TiBook were tight and I did not like the general feel of it. I also want built-in Bluetooth. Besides, if I wait for the 15" AlBook, with the ADC discount, how exactly is that a downgrade?
     
LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Rochester NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 06:09 PM
 
If the G4 PowerBook 15 inch is updated in 12 months to a G5 then I don't see the 15 going to AL. Why well I don't know how much R&D will need to be added to get a 15AL out but it seems more economical to leave the 15 TI. I just started thinking this reasoning. Although I believe we will know in about a month what they plan to do over there. Wouldnt it be better to change the 15 to AL when the whole line gets that major upgrade. Who knows...
     
LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Rochester NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 06:10 PM
 
Dont use the ADC discount if you have seen the great edu discounts lately you should use them. Save the ADC for when your out of school. Thats what I decided to do. You can get a top of the line 15 for a nice price. Even if you dont like the 15. I dont really understand why you don't like it. I hate to say it but you sound a bit spoiled. Also get an iPod too and a printer and get a 300 dollar rebate. Best time to buy for students I think . We got about 2 months with these great offers.

IF you can I would serioulsly think about delaying the purcahse until as late as possible. That way you get panther for 20 dollars. I am also doing that hehe. I will take the current 15 or the new one though. Although I have waited this long I probably will wait for as long as the discounts are available.
     
justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 06:39 PM
 
Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
Dont use the ADC discount if you have seen the great edu discounts lately you should use them. Save the ADC for when your out of school. Thats what I decided to do. You can get a top of the line 15 for a nice price. Even if you dont like the 15. I dont really understand why you don't like it. I hate to say it but you sound a bit spoiled.
I think I have to use the ADC discount while I am a student, don't I?

Sure, I'll admit it, I am spoiled. I probably could get by on a cheap 12" iBook for the rest of college if I wanted to. However, I do have the money now for the purchase, and have saved for a while, so why not get an updated machine that fits my needs for the future as well?

Anyway, reasons I did not like MY TiBook:

- Hinges were tight, and I thought I was going to break the screen.

- Every time I did any sort of scrolling (or basically anything that utilized the video card) I would hear a low scratching noise coming from the screen. This was really annoying in silent rooms, and apparently is a problem with several of these machines.

- My fingers would constantly get stuck on the keys somehow.

- No Bluetooth

Listen, I know I could have gotten past all these problems, but I made a choice to sell it and I do not regret it. The current iBook is fine and I am just asking for advice for a future purchase. Thanks for all the help. I believe I am leaning towards the 15" AlBook when it comes out, if it EVER comes out.

Justin
     
holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2003, 07:12 PM
 
Originally posted by justinf77:
If I go with the 12" PowerBook, I will need to buy an external display, as 12" is too small for my main machine. But being in London, I would need to buy two, one for here and one for London, due to differences in power standards. With the 15", I would have no problem using that as my main screen.
Although the UK uses 240V vs the US 110V, you'll find that pretty much every electronic item in the 110V world will work fine over here, and vice versa - that's what switching power supplies are for.

Apple don't sell different displays in different parts of the world, after all...
     
PBAddict
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 03:20 AM
 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by justinf77:

3 - I would be ordering from the Apple Store USA via Developer Store. I will only be paying US taxes. The only extra charge would be having my parents ship the machine to London.

When you parents ship it to the UK the PB will have to be customs cleared in the UK, as the PB will be new, i.e. younger that 6 months you will be charged tax 17 .5%. Your PB book will only be released to you once the tax has been paid.

Better to buy in states and take with you, as when you arrive in UK it will be treared as personnel effects and you will not be taxed.
     
Esquare
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 03:55 AM
 
Originally posted by PBAddict:

Better to buy in states and take with you, as when you arrive in UK it will be treared as personnel effects and you will not be taxed.
Wrong: only if you walk through the "Nothing to Declare"-gate and get away with it. Otherwise it will be treated as any other import.

     
slider
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: No frelling idea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 05:59 AM
 
I'd wait until the 15" Al comes out. You have an alternative computer until December, only you know if you can get by with it, but it sounds like what you are doing with it now and what you want to do later, that waiting is the best idea. I don't think Apple is going to wait until a major event to release the new PowerBook, 60 days does sound reasonable. I think your reasons for ditching the Ti are fine, you know what you want, all you need is patience right now. I think you'll be happier in the end.
     
justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 11:28 AM
 
Originally posted by PBAddict:

When you parents ship it to the UK the PB will have to be customs cleared in the UK, as the PB will be new, i.e. younger that 6 months you will be charged tax 17 .5%. Your PB book will only be released to you once the tax has been paid.

Better to buy in states and take with you, as when you arrive in UK it will be treared as personnel effects and you will not be taxed.
Would I also be charged this tax if it were marked as a gift? I heard something about gifts being tax-free... I wonder why the program director did not tell us about these taxes. Perhaps as students we get around them somehow. I will check more and let you know, in case you were interested.
     
holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 11:55 AM
 
Originally posted by justinf77:
Would I also be charged this tax if it were marked as a gift? I heard something about gifts being tax-free... I wonder why the program director did not tell us about these taxes. Perhaps as students we get around them somehow. I will check more and let you know, in case you were interested.
You still get charged duty and tax on gifts - however, they might not check. Note that this only applies to shipped items. Carrying it in is more risky.

The general rule is anything shipped in above 35 that was purchased outside the UK less than 2 years ago, or anything carried in above your customs allowance is taxed and dutied. If you go above the allowance you're taxed on the whole amount.

You'd have to check about how long you are planning to stay - if it's purchased outside the EU, and you'll be leaving again soon then I don't think you're eligible for being shafted.
     
GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 12:07 PM
 
You probably would get away with it, but you might not. Better if you picked it up, or a relative dropped it off.

17 is portable enough in my mind, and has all your looking for, I carry it around London all the time.

Still you waiting probably won't do you any harm.
     
drew22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 02:33 PM
 
QUOTE]Originally posted by Esquare:
Wrong: only if you walk through the "Nothing to Declare"-gate and get away with it. Otherwise it will be treated as any other import.

[/QUOTE]

No, he's right. I lived in London for 6 mths, other family members for 4 years. Personal effects are not treated as imports. I had all my luggage was searched at Heathrow, and they could have cared less about my 2 week-old Powerbook -- just take the thing out the original packaging before you pack it -- (duh). My brother-in-law would always take crap back to London he had bought in the US on visits. The trick is the stuff just has to look used. If you're picking up some new tennis rackets, play a couple sets with them...you get the idea.
     
forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cali
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 03:14 PM
 
Wait for the new 15 AL, it will be out by the end of september, should have a speed bumb too, around 1.25 GHZ is my guess
     
real
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ca
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 08:46 PM
 
Originally posted by beachmark:
1. be happy with waht you got and only when you experience that those configurations are not up to the job order a new one.

2. do not wait for update after update as every time powerbooks are updated and you wil lend up with nothing

3. order in the usa before travelling to europe. in europe the tax is really high (up to 21 per cent) AND EVERYBODY HAS TO PAY IT

4. listen good to the advice given in the multiple threads but do decide yourself

Could not have said it better myself.

Your ibook will be fine for all those things, and please please don't wait for a update, don't start that game.

If anything get an ipod!
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com
     
justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 09:58 PM
 
Originally posted by real:
Could not have said it better myself.

Your ibook will be fine for all those things, and please please don't wait for a update, don't start that game.

If anything get an ipod!
Does nobody read full threads anymore?

OK, on a sidenote, I have received an email from the director of the London program about taxes on laptops. She told me that shipping it there may cause tax issues, but bringing it in myself would cause me no trouble. She told me to just carry it in and go through the "Nothing to declare exit." If stopped, explain that I will just be going to school there for a year. She said she is 100% sure I will not be charged, as she has been in charge of this program since the late 80's.

Now, this leaves me with two options. Buy now, and bring the new 12" PB to school. Or buy in December, and have the new 15 or 12 for second semester. I will have to decide...

Thanks!
     
real
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ca
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 10:23 PM
 
Originally posted by justinf77:
Does nobody read full threads anymore?

OK, on a sidenote, I have received an email from the director of the London program about taxes on laptops. She told me that shipping it there may cause tax issues, but bringing it in myself would cause me no trouble. She told me to just carry it in and go through the "Nothing to declare exit." If stopped, explain that I will just be going to school there for a year. She said she is 100% sure I will not be charged, as she has been in charge of this program since the late 80's.

Now, this leaves me with two options. Buy now, and bring the new 12" PB to school. Or buy in December, and have the new 15 or 12 for second semester. I will have to decide...

Thanks!











































GUESS NOT! Sorry man,I still say bring the ibook.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com
     
justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2003, 10:47 PM
 
Originally posted by real:
GUESS NOT! Sorry man,I still say bring the ibook.
OK, you are confusing me. You tell me to bring the iBook. To me, that translates to, "Bring the iBook for the first semester, then purchase the new PowerBook in December." That would mean... WAITING. But based on your previous advice, you told me "don't play that game."

Unless you did not read the full thread (again) and did not realize that the iBook is not mine?
     
real
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ca
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2003, 12:24 AM
 
Sorry,
Reading comprehention is not my strong suit( i guess). If the ibook is not yours, then don't take it. Get a 15" if you are going to use it as a desktop replacement, 12" if you have a desktop, or a external monitor. Either way you'll be happy. Be crative and productive good luck, Sorry about all the confusion.
Have a good one.


real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com
     
gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2003, 01:27 AM
 
I say wait. I know the upgrade game is dangerous, but I really think that the 15" is going to be updated by Christmas and the new model should work for you until the end of college. It's your money, so don't part with it until you can get what you truly want
     
Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Globetrotting
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2003, 08:02 AM
 
Every monitor and computer I've ever owned has been dual voltage. Find a monitor that is dual voltage, you shouldn't have to search long.

If you buy in the UK you'll pay 20% more if you buy locally or ship it from the States (UK Customs will stick you). If you buy from the states, no authorized reseller is allowed to send it to you in the UK. You'd have to send it to family and have them send it to you.

I would get what you want based on what is available before you leave (minus the external monitor if applicable).
( Last edited by Crusoe; Jul 29, 2003 at 08:10 AM. )
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,