Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Im installing panther

Im installing panther
LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 02:39 PM

all let you all know how it goes
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

bonk
Oct 24, 2003, 02:41 PM

Update us on battery life, I wonder if these "5 hour" claims are true. Even a small increase will be good for me
Dual 500 G4 :: 576mb :: 180gb (120+40+20)
17" PB G4 1.33 gHz :: 1gb :: 80 gb @ 5400rpm

djjava
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 02:42 PM

FedEx failed to leave my package in my apartment building, or even leave it with building managment, and of course,the girlfriend (unemployed) was out of the apartment at that time... insert explictive here.. Time to let the girlfriend go i guess.

DAMN THOSE FOOLS @ FEDEX (and her)!!
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 02:43 PM

So was she, at least, out looking for a job??

-b

gruffster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:46 PM

Me too. Just got the package. Confirmed that it is only an upgrade. If you use disk utility to format the drive, it will not allow you to install Panther.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
So was she, at least, out looking for a job??

-b
heck no, she was shopping.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 03:03 PM

I just formated my drive and installed panther its checking disk right now

It might be because i bought mine on EDU discount though. How did you get your copy.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

gruffster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 03:05 PM

Well after a very quick reinstall of Jaguar, Panther is going in now. Erase and Install is the way to go. Don't know how you managed to get it onto a formatted disk unless you had a retail copy LfGrdMike. It certainly didn't work for me.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 03:05 PM

The installer is fast, and the CD starts up faster so far I am going to write a detailed review tonight after work.

Talked to my friend and it should of worked for you as it did for me that has me stumped taht I could format but you could not. I did the quick format which is better in the first place. Deletes teh directories.

gruffster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 03:11 PM

Don't know to be honest. I booted with the Panther disc and used Disk Utility to wipe the boot partition. When you proceed with the installer, it will do a check for an existing copy of Jaguar on whichever drive you want to install it on. If it doesn't exist, it says it won't install.

I wish they did what the XP upgrade does i.e you can insert an existing CD of an older version of Windoze to verify that you own it instead of having to reinstall the entire thing.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 03:21 PM

Well for me what you say isnt true. So I don't know what to tell you. Are you sure you did everything correctly

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 03:25 PM

YAY! IT GOT DELIVERED! SUCKS THAT I AM AT WORK THOUGH. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME, BUT I HAVE A PROGRAM TO WRITE IN JAVA FOR GRAD SCHOOL!! AAAARGH! HOW LONG IS THE INSTALL?
Hi!

gruffster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 03:27 PM

Ok no big. It's going in now and that's what's important. I'm pretty sure I did it right. On to disc 2 of the install.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
YAY! IT GOT DELIVERED! SUCKS THAT I AM AT WORK THOUGH. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME, BUT I HAVE A PROGRAM TO WRITE IN JAVA FOR GRAD SCHOOL!! AAAARGH! HOW LONG IS THE INSTALL?
i have to pick up my panther @ my local holding station. :-( but i can get it tonight... woo hoo!! too bad i'll be @ the panther party all night... hehehe.

gruffster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 03:35 PM

Woohoo! All done. Took about 30 mins on a RevB PB17 with X11 installed but without non-English localization.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 03:41 PM

OMG ITS BUTTTTIIIFULLL I LOVE IT

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 03:45 PM

I just about finished with my backup of my datas, I will be installing it in about 15 min. I want to do a clean install, so, how can I do this? I mean, do I really have to use my disk utility that came with my Powerbook? what's another way to do it?

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 03:46 PM

I know this has been hashed and rehashed over and over, but if i have the AL 15 1.25 Powerbook, there will be an option to delete everything? If i have only the update, i have to have the jaguar installation and install that THEN the panther right if i choose the clean install? By the way, Mike, I have your instructions you emailed me, for some reason i can't open them here at work. Maybe better luck when i get home and try to open it on my PB. Have fun everyone! WEEEEEEEE! The funny thing is that is completely new to me is you don't see "Come to the WINDOWS XP install PARTY" signs anywhere, while apple is all about it. Awesome.
Hi!

gruffster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 03:55 PM

Looks great so far. Everything's working. I have my /Users directory mounted on a separate partition so I really don't worry too much about backing things up between OS installs. I've adjusted the mounts in fstab and netinfo so that it picks it up correctly. All my data is now available.

There seem to be a subtle difference in many of the default fonts. Maybe it's just the anti aliasing settings. Also, the mouse acceleration seems to have dramatically changed. It's going to to take getting used to. It seems more erratic than before.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 03:58 PM

everything works fine

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 04:04 PM

Now im installing xcode the new features are really nice

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 05:10 PM

Screenshots wouldn't go amiss.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 08:51 PM

THought about screen shots but you guys have already seen panther. If you want them email me.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 10:17 PM

I still only get around the same amount of battery life as 10.2.8 which is around 2:30 hours to 3:00 hours.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules