Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So a clean install is outta the question????

So a clean install is outta the question????
macwalk
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 03:48 PM

Like most of you I purchased panther via the 19.95 discount for purchasing a new G5/powerbook.

I was hoping this would allow me to perform a clean install because upgrades suck and cause more problems than i am ready to deal with.

So i suppose this now means I will have to urchase a retail version.

This double sucks
Hmmmm..... maybe not!

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by macwalk:
Like most of you I purchased panther via the 19.95 discount for purchasing a new G5/powerbook.

I was hoping this would allow me to perform a clean install because upgrades suck and cause more problems than i am ready to deal with.

So i suppose this now means I will have to urchase a retail version.

This double sucks
I think you can still do the clean install. You just have to have your jaguar cd. Don't quote me on that though. Errr... BUT I GOT PANTHER! Can't wait to see Xcode!
Hi!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by macwalk:

This double sucks
I wouldn't say most people have purchased the upgrade at least I didn't maybe I'm the only one here at maccnn who has to buy the full version.

and why does this double suck?

Why not try the archive & install. I can't beleive that it will cause problems or your computer will be unusuable from taking that route vs formatting and reinstalling. Has there been many threads here stating that you better stay away from the archive & install? because I havn't seen it.

I have no choice but to purchase the full version of panther so your whining really doesn't go to far in my book, you have the upgrade use it - what do you have to loose.

Good Luck
Mike

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 04:40 PM

You can use archive & install and then you can take your time and transfer any info from "previous system"

It just wants to check to see you purchased a previous version of X.

I installed clean on a spare PB & transfered files by firewire as I discovered I needed them. But I wanted a clean install, since I have upgraded OS X so many times and modded it.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 05:55 PM

I would do a clean install of Jag then use the Panther upgrade if worse comes to worse. I don't see any big deal, although it will take more time. The idea of junk remaining in your system and forgotten prefs, etc. is a bummer. My 17" shows a sound delay when I crank up the volume by pressing the appropriate F key in a program. It did not use to do that. Even now with only Explorer running it does it. I definitely want a clean install, so I may just buy the whole Panther Pkg.

gruffster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 06:21 PM

You can do a clean install. Just select the option to Erase and Install instead of upgrading. I've got the 19.95 upgrade version as well and that's what I did.

You could place your /Users directory on a separate partition. That way you can upgrade/reinstall OSs with no loss of user data/prefs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules