Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WOAH ... Something just happened on my POWERBOOK 12"

WOAH ... Something just happened on my POWERBOOK 12"
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 09:40 PM

I was watching a ibook quicktime from apple's archive (found it from a link in the lounge i believe..) .. and i got a bezel with five different languages telling me to hold down the power button for a few seconds or to hit the reset button ... any idea what that is?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

machan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 10:08 PM

kernel panic.

do a search on the forums here and on apple.com. some might disagree, but my opinion is that unless you get them a lot or on a regular basis, don't worry. just be sure to do regular maintenance (repair permissions, run diskwarrior, etc.) and you should be fine (unless you're mucking with your system a lot adding freeware and junk).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 10:14 PM

I find it quite amusing that these days, a crash (because that's all a kernel panic is: your computer crashed) is SO rare that people actually post a thread on a help forum when they first experience one...

We certainly have come a long way since OS 9.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 10:16 PM

Kernel panic

typo.

By the way welcome to the world of unix.
( Last edited by macaddict0001; Sep 13, 2004 at 12:59 AM. )

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
Kernal panic
The question was already answered, and you spelled "kernel" wrong.

"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I find it quite amusing that these days, a crash (because that's all a kernel panic is: your computer crashed) is SO rare that people actually post a thread on a help forum when they first experience one...

We certainly have come a long way since OS 9.
Yup. Love it.
I actually dumped OS 9 for Windows 2000 because I could not stand the constant crashing. Came back with MacOS X 10.0!

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 12:40 AM

yay! my first one!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
yay! my first one!

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 12:39 PM

If you get two of these in... I don't know, a week or so, there might be a problem. Still, it can be caused by a few non-threatening things. My Sawtooth KP'd once because of a power dip (basically a brownout... we were having a LAN, and when the AC kicked in, I KP'd). Strangest thing I'd seen.

Another time, though, I got a few kernel panics in a short amount of time (two, back to back days)... had major problems with one of my disks. After the second KP, the OS X drive I had wouldn't boot. Only had my OS 9 drive clean at the time, Norton was able to clean everything up (remarkably... don't try this at home!). No more KP for me on my Sawtooth.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2004, 10:54 PM

in the the past 2 years of running OSX on a total of 4 machines i've only gotten a kernel panic one time and it was due to bad ram. i consider it a baptism of sorts.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 11:13 PM

I can't dump OS 9 cuz all my favorite games run on it.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I can't dump OS 9 cuz all my favorite games run on it.
Get new favorite games.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules