Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > WHOOO HOOO...ordered my G5!

WHOOO HOOO...ordered my G5!
Chito
Senior User
Nov 29, 2004, 03:37 PM

I ordered my long awaited G5 this morning. It's a dual 2.0 with 512 ram, 160 gb, combo drive, radeon 9600 and Apple Care for $2199. I though it was a pretty sweet deal for a new machine. I priced the same config from the Apple Edu. store and it would have cost me $365 more figuring tax, which Apple charges, vs. shipping from LA Computer. Now I'll take that extra cash and get over to Crucial and get some more ram!
It's going to replace my G4 933 which I'll sell and use that cash to buy a 20 or 23 inch LCD and then sell my 17" Apple LCD and use that cash to buy.....I don't know what....does this vicious cycle never end? Forgive me for rambling...I'm excited.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 04:16 PM

You are experiencing NHU* Syndrome, it is very common. Just take deep breaths, it will be ok. Congrats! Enjoy the new computer smell!

* New Hardware Euphoria
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

machan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 04:32 PM

that's awesome! i just got my dual 2.0 G5 on friday! i went a little beefier than your config because i'm doing a lot of final cut/motion/dvdsp work: 4 gigs RAM (third party, installed myself), 2 x 250 gig hard drives, 9800XT. i also got the 23 inch cinema display. now all i have to do is pay it all off by doing more work, yay!

also, the 933 quicksilver (which i use at work) is my favorite mac ever (not counting my new G5 or my rev. a 12" powerbook). i'm using it as i type this and every time i look at it, i get all warm inside.
( Last edited by machan; Nov 29, 2004 at 04:41 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2004, 04:49 PM

Congrats, Chito! I got the exact same config. from the Apple refurb store back in August, and I LOVE it. Oh, and no, that vicious cycle never ends.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Nov 29, 2004, 05:55 PM

Thanks guys. I was originally going to buy a dual 1.8 because I needed to stay in the $2k price range but when I found this deal I couldn't pass it up. I think getting a new mac is more exciting than getting a new car! NHU syndrome....I like that!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2004, 06:18 PM

Congrats, hopefully I'll be experiencing NHU on Thursday when my Dualie 2.5 ships with that screamin 6800 card and a few gigs o' ram. I've got a bunch of FCP/DVD SP/Motion client projects waiting to be crunched with that rig...should be a fun weekend...he he he.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

osxisfun
Nov 29, 2004, 06:33 PM

congrats!

don't forget to install CHUD so you can turn off nap mode.

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 30, 2004, 08:41 AM

great deal!
congrats!

I hope to get one soon as well!

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Nov 30, 2004, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the tip about nap mode. I read about that but forgot all about it. I'm going to set it up and use it for awhile before I do anything though. Apparently in some settings some dualies are quieter and since mine will sit on the side of my desk I'm gonna give it a try before I start tinkering. I am glad you reminded me though...I can see myself having a freaking stroke if my new computer makes some of the noises I've read about.
I was thinking last night and had to go drag out my old invoice and found out that I got this new G5 for the exact price I paid for my G4 933 a couple years ago. Nice.....

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 11:10 AM

Ordered Mine. Expecting it tomorrow.

Hey Chito where did you order from ? Looks a good deal.

Am I too excited about my G5? Yes Sir I am.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Nov 30, 2004, 02:04 PM

LA Computer Company. Here's a link to their specials page

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...cgi?group=pmg5

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Chito:
I ordered my long awaited G5 this morning. It's a dual 2.0 with 512 ram, 160 gb, combo drive, radeon 9600 and Apple Care for $2199. I though it was a pretty sweet deal for a new machine. I priced the same config from the Apple Edu. store and it would have cost me $365 more figuring tax, which Apple charges, vs. shipping from LA Computer. Now I'll take that extra cash and get over to Crucial and get some more ram!
It's going to replace my G4 933 which I'll sell and use that cash to buy a 20 or 23 inch LCD and then sell my 17" Apple LCD and use that cash to buy.....I don't know what....does this vicious cycle never end? Forgive me for rambling...I'm excited.
I just paid $2399 for the exact same config (just placed my order yesterday). Ordered from PowerMax, because they can ship to an APO.

Obviously, we are both getting 1st generation G5s, but who cares about the 970FX right?
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 12:56 PM

Yooohooo!!! Got mine. It was a replacement from Dual 800 and what a replacement... Now it feels like everything is fast and perfect. The slow scroll and windows resizing issues are gone. And FCP/photoshop work gets done a lot lot faster.

I must say it was a little expensive but worth every penny spent.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 01:38 PM

Mine didn't ship till this morning :-(
I'm expecting it to arrive wednesday. Maybe then I can finish the video project I'm working on for christmas.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 01:50 PM

Congrats to all those who just got new machines!

I'm still waiting for that 3.0GHz G5. Yes, I am a patient guy.

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 02:53 PM

I thought I was patient also. I started doing some video work and finally got tired of my "old" G4 chugging along trying to render and encode the files so I found what I think is a good deal and bit the bullet. I've never been able to afford the top of the line anyway so even if I did wait I'd be buying an older model or something bottom to middle of the product line. I'm happy and eagerly waiting on this baby to arrive. Good luck on the 3gHZ model though! It'll probably come with a 5 ton a/c unit to keep it cool!

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 02:56 PM

Got mine today...and she screams...I need say nothing more.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2004, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Congrats to all those who just got new machines!

I'm still waiting for that 3.0GHz G5. Yes, I am a patient guy.
God Bless your patience. I possibly cant wait for something that is not shipping. And I think 2 Ghz is enough right now. This machine is a beauty both inside and out.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2004, 02:25 PM

Have fun with your new "baby." I have to wait until Jan or Feb and it's killing me.

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Dec 4, 2004, 06:38 PM

I thought I would have to wait also...but thanks to my credit union....
I'm suffering fed ex tracking syndrome now....following my new machine across the country! I took the day off work wednesday so I can be here when it arrives.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 04:41 AM

Heh Heh!!! I am on the fedex Tracking syndrome almost everytime I order something from Apple. Isn't that wierd or are we all just suckers.....
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 07:32 AM

Well I got my G5 last wednesday and I've been playing with it constantly. First thing I did was crack it open and add 1GB of ram and swapped out the combo drive for a dvr 106 superdrive. Last was to transfer all of my files, accounts, and apps over....went ok. Finally got to start back on my video project and man oh man....the same 90 minutes of video that took me 5-6 hours to edit,encode and burn on my G4 took a whole 1:45! Sweet. I'm a very happy camper. Oh yeah...the Radeon 9600 that I was supposed to get with this machine has turned out to be a 9800! Nice little suprise there.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 10:01 AM

Congrats on the machine Chito and double congrats on the surprise 9800. It really helps get better frame rates
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 10:20 AM

thanx! And congrats to you too. These things are really sweet....now that I've got it I'm wondering how I got along without it. BTW did I mention that I got another $100 knocked off the price? Seems someone stole my manuals out of the box....the computer was still sealed but the box had been re-taped. I pitched a bitch and they gave me $100! So I got a Dual 2.0-160-Combo-512 with Apple Care for $2099. I am pleased. Now just to sell my QS 933 so I can jump on a 23" cinema display at Comp USA....or maybe a 20" cinema display if they're sold out.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 11:07 AM

2099?? thats a pretty good deal you had.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I'm happy with the deal. It's last years model but for that price I don't care.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Chito:
Well I got my G5 last wednesday and I've been playing with it constantly. First thing I did was crack it open and add 1GB of ram and swapped out the combo drive for a dvr 106 superdrive. Last was to transfer all of my files, accounts, and apps over....went ok. Finally got to start back on my video project and man oh man....the same 90 minutes of video that took me 5-6 hours to edit,encode and burn on my G4 took a whole 1:45! Sweet. I'm a very happy camper. Oh yeah...the Radeon 9600 that I was supposed to get with this machine has turned out to be a 9800! Nice little suprise there.
Congratulations!

The same thing happened to me when I bought my refurb G5.

I bought one of the original Dual G5's back in February of this year. It was a refurbished model Dual 2.0 GHz which I got for $2399. It was supposed to be stock configuration, but instead of the Radeon 9600 Pro it actually had a Radeon 9800 Pro in it too.

Enjoy your machine, it is really wonderful! (Mine is fairly quiet under most circumstances... no need for CHUD).

I only had one problem with the machine. When I unpacked it and hooked it up, the machine sounded like a jet engine taking off. All 9 fans were running full blast! I took the machine that day into my local Apple Store and told them what happened. They said it sounded like the processors needed thermal calibration, which was something they could do in the store.

They had it fixed within 4 hours and I took the machine home, and haven't had ANY problems since. (Of course, I bought AppleCare for the machine right on the spot!)

Have fun!

bradleykavin
Dec 15, 2004, 11:33 AM

i just bought the nvidia 6800 gt and put it in my dual 1.8 rev b...the graphics, especially in games, is amazing. nothing lags, at all, even the operating system seems faster..and im ordering another 250 gig hd so i will have raid 500..seriouslly buying mac things is fun
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Forum Links
Forum Rules