Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > thermal nightmare !

thermal nightmare !
zzarg
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2005, 08:07 AM

Am I alone in this small problem ?

I've recently 'retired' my old F@H native client in favour of trying out the new BOINC S@H client (using the MacNN G4 optimised version) and I've noticed a small issue...

Every now and then when the temperature rises (CPU about about 51C) my machine just stops. I have to give up, close the lid and go play with the dog until it (eventually) sleeps and then I can go back in.

If I shut down the S@H BOINC client I can run all day with no problems. If I have it running... I have to watch the Temp monitor and pause it every now and then.

I have a Rev.A 12" PB with a full (1.12GB) complement of RAM.
Usual config is running VirtualPC, iTunes, skEdit, Safari and, of course, S@H/BOINC.
Usually it sits on a Targus ChillPad (two USB powered fans) just to try and give it a bit more thermal support... but even that doesn't always cut the mustard.

Admittedly living on the QLD Gold Coast is not exactly the chilliest place on the planet.

I'm thinking about a new 15" PB (waiting for speed bump announcement) or maybe just a new 12" (Rev.C or better) ... are they better behaved thermally ?

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Jan 25, 2005, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by zzarg:
Am I alone in this small problem ?

I'm thinking about a new 15" PB (waiting for speed bump announcement) or maybe just a new 12" (Rev.C or better) ... are they better behaved thermally ?
In my opinion, running a laptop at 100% CPU capacity constantly is probably the worst thing you could do to your laptop, short of dropping it of course. Laptops are not designed to dissipate that much heat constantly. The cooling pad that you talked about probably helps, but if it is USB powered, then even it is adding to the thermal load inside your laptop (it probably helps more than it hurts though).

I advise my clients that want to contribute to DC projects to run desktops whenever possible, even portable desktops. I don't run any DC clients on my laptop, but I run it on EVERYTHING else, even underpowered celerons sitting on secretary's desks!
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Jan 25, 2005, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by zzarg:
Admittedly living on the QLD Gold Coast is not exactly the chilliest place on the planet.
Hate to sound ignorant, but is this Australia? What does the QLD stand for?
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 04:00 PM

OOpps topic doesn't show - Queensland

It's summer there.

Z

zzarg  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2005, 08:12 PM

spot on Zac

QLD: Queensland, runs up the eastern seaboard. Hot and suffers from Monsoons ! Great for surfers, not so good for computers unless it's airconditioned !

I agree about not using a laptop for 100% CPU usage tasks... that said, I've given up desktops as 90% of my work is out of the office these days !

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2005, 01:57 PM

I'm thinking about a new 15" PB (waiting for speed bump announcement) or maybe just a new 12" (Rev.C or better) ... are they better behaved thermally ? [/B][/QUOTE]

In the "for what it's worth" category: I've been running BOINC/SETI & CPDN for several months now on my 15" PowerBook (1 GHz, I GB RAM) without a problem. Before that, I ran classic SETI for months, also with no problem. At first, I noticed it got very hot on the bottom of the laptop, as well as the area of my desk where it sits. To help it stay cool, I simply placed two ordinary pencils on the desk about 20 cm apart and set the laptop on top of the pencils. This allows for free airflow and the convection currents seem to keep the laptop cool enough. It gets warm on the bottom, but not enought to cause it to stop or to burn my hand.

I also run no screen savers and have my preferences set to make the screen go black after 5 minutes of no activity. At night, when I leave to go home, I quit all applications except BOINC so nothing else competes for CPU clock time.

beadman

virex
Jan 26, 2005, 01:59 PM

i've been running rc5, seti, etc... on my powerbook g4 500mhz for the past 4 years....no problems....for the past year i've had it on a targus coolpad, which has two oversized(and quiet) fans to keep it cool.

before that i just propped the back up with two packs of big red. that also worked.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by virex:
i've been running rc5, seti, etc... on my powerbook g4 500mhz for the past 4 years....no problems....for the past year i've had it on a targus coolpad, which has two oversized(and quiet) fans to keep it cool.

before that i just propped the back up with two packs of big red. that also worked.
I use an active notebook cooler from Antec on my Aluminum 15" 1.25GHz Powerbook. While the temperature is still ridiculously high (about 64 degrees C during the winter) when monitoring it with a utility like Temperature Monitor, it's getting that hot air outta there I suppose.

Has anyone tried those passive coolers that use heatpipes? I'm skeptical as to how well those would work.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules