Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > loving my new Shuffle

loving my new Shuffle
segaslave
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 08:16 PM

i picked up a 1gig shuffle refurb for 99$ and just wanted to say how great these lil things really are. i use it at work(ups loading trucks) so i have zero need for a screen or even more than a gig of space(its half full right now).

its so small and durable(compared to an HD or screen'd ipod). the whole shuffle idea is just perfect also. Steve really knows what hes doing i guess lol.
:rolleyes:

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2005, 08:33 AM

I bought one on sunday. Makes my bus rides and train rides to work easier. Though mine was new... and about 16000¥... which is like $150 USD... arg..

jaydon34
Senior User
Oct 17, 2005, 04:12 PM

Yeah the shuffle is a cool Idea thinking of getting one for my girl as shes clueless when it comes to gadgets
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Railroader
Banned
Oct 18, 2005, 12:09 AM

As an investor in Apple, I'm glad your satisfied with your purchase. I've heard that the shuffle's have the best audio quality of the iPod line up.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 12:56 AM

I like the shuffle as well. It's just so easy to use since there's no display.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2005, 08:59 AM

I have had almost every iPod known (with the exception of the Hello Kitty and other spin offs and the Mini) and I also have a Shuffle as well as a Photo and soon a Video one... I LOVE the Shuffle for what it does... Takes the fear of scratching/breaking/theft away from my listening experience when going to school/walking @ work/working out and on and on... I LOVE using my regular iPod when hanging out for an extended duration of time sitting someplace (plane, mass transportation, heck even in my car hooked up to the Alpine interface as a continuous jukebox for my tunes) and I wouldn't want to not have a regular iPod for those situations either... But you are right on, the Shuffle in many other situations hands down beats any other solution given its size and functionality.

Rey :)

1800-whatever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2005, 09:43 AM

I also bought a Shuffle early this march, I use it daily and absolutely love it, I rarely use my regular iPod anymore.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 10:27 AM

While I sold my shuffle to get a nano, I do have to say that the shuffle has its merits; in particular, you aren't as worried about it as you are with the nano because it doesn't seem as fragile...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 04:54 PM

I recieved a 1 gig Shuffle for my birthday in September, and I love it. I ride my bike to work as much as I can, and it sure makes the commute a lot better.

I do have some issues when I turn it on, as I don't know what happens, but it takes forever for the music to start.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 03:58 AM

I bought my 1 GB Shuffle on the 1st, 19 days ago, from the local Apple Store (quite an experience!!). From the moment the woman at the counter handed me the cool little bag with the cool little bright green box inside, I couldn't wait to get home to open it.

I sold my first gen iPod to get an original Mini last fall, and my Mini to get this Shuffle. I was happy with the first one and happier with each successive one.

I haven't been using it a lot, but I charged it the day I got it and haven't charged it since—it still has a green light when I check the battery. Awesome. The nano was very sexy and very tempting but I couldn't be happier with my Shuffle. I don't even have it filled up with music, so I think I'm good with the 1 GB size.

Weights next to nothing and fits in the change pocket in my jeans, too bad all my pants don't have such a pocket, hehe.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

segaslave  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 07:22 PM

my only complaint so far is the Shuffle isnt very Random. it likes to grab onto certain bands then play only that band until theres no songs left by that band. its kind of annoying i had like 150 songs on my shuffle, about 10 from one band. it was playing fine in random then suddenly it hit that particular band and the next 5 or so songs in a row where the same band. the odds of that happening in Random seems very unlikely. it happens often too seems. like certain bands too i swear lol the shuffle just likes the chili peppers i guess.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stingrey
I have had almost every iPod known (with the exception of the Hello Kitty and other spin offs and the Mini) and I also have a Shuffle as well as a Photo and soon a Video one... I LOVE the Shuffle for what it does... Takes the fear of scratching/breaking/theft away from my listening experience when going to school/walking @ work/working out and on and on... I LOVE using my regular iPod when hanging out for an extended duration of time sitting someplace (plane, mass transportation, heck even in my car hooked up to the Alpine interface as a continuous jukebox for my tunes) and I wouldn't want to not have a regular iPod for those situations either... But you are right on, the Shuffle in many other situations hands down beats any other solution given its size and functionality.

Rey
Hello,
I am interested in getting this Alpine interface for my car. I just have one question. Would I be able to select a playlist, and have it shuffle the songs in that single playlist?

Also - yeah, the shuffle is cool. My little girl is getting one for Christmas, perfect thing for her....no screen to worry about

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2005, 01:22 AM

Yeah, I love my shuffle.

I have two other iPods, but I tend to use this one the most. The jumpdrive capibility, and the fact that I don't have to worry if I drop/scratch it (I've had it for a couple months, and it's beat to hell, and I couldn't care less ), just make is so useful.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by segaslave
it likes to grab onto certain bands then play only that band until theres no songs left by that band.
I noticed the same thing, though *most* of the music on my Shuffle right now is from the same bad. But, I noticed once that it seemed to grab on to songs from a particular album, I kept hitting next but it kept being that album.

Does anyone know if switching from "shuffle" to "play in order" back to "shuffle" will re-shuffle the songs, much like it does in iTunes?
esdesign

segaslave  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
I noticed the same thing, though *most* of the music on my Shuffle right now is from the same bad. But, I noticed once that it seemed to grab on to songs from a particular album, I kept hitting next but it kept being that album.

Does anyone know if switching from "shuffle" to "play in order" back to "shuffle" will re-shuffle the songs, much like it does in iTunes?

its either getting worse or im just starting to notice more cause last night at work i kept having to skip a song cause i want Random songs lol, not the same band in order. im not really in a position to switch it off/play in order, to reset the random function so im kind of stuck just skipping songs i guesss.

if you do play in order what order does it go in anyways? sogn name? band name? or whatever you have it sorted as in itunes?

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 05:18 PM

While you CAN select a playlist and then hit random on the Alpine head unit, it has a glitch where random turns off when the radio is turned off and then back on... What I do lately is make two or three lists... You can do the same thing with one, but you'll see my point if you think about it a bit... I then start iTunes and as long as that playlist is random, when I hit Play in iTunes, it mixes ALL of that list up (I do the same for the other two lists, different types of music in each list, but to mix 'em up all the time) and then plug it back into my car whenever it's time to hit the road... For the most part I leave the iPod in the car playing that list "in order" even though the songs are already shuffled courtesy of iTunes, and that does the trick for me. Otherwise I'd have to hit random each time on the head unit and that seems buggy. If anyone else has an Alpine hookup, perhaps you can add to my description? Out of time here. Will reply when can, but very busy through this weekend so earliest will be early next week. PM me or something if have more specific ?s about this.

Rey :)

Originally Posted by dampeoples
Hello,
I am interested in getting this Alpine interface for my car. I just have one question. Would I be able to select a playlist, and have it shuffle the songs in that single playlist?

Also - yeah, the shuffle is cool. My little girl is getting one for Christmas, perfect thing for her....no screen to worry about :)

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 05:53 PM

OK, thanks. Stopped by a local stereo shop today while delivering them a package, they also have a Pioneer setup, that might be the key, to find the unit that works for me. I see they have an iPod simulator/test drive thing advertised in this pamphlet, that might answer my questions too.

gwschreyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 10:16 PM

I like mine too. Went to the trouble of writing a descriptive page on the subject

http://www.girr.org/mac_stuff/iPod_shuffle_tips.html

- gws

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2005, 01:23 PM

Yeah, I pulled the trigger on a 512 earlier this week and I really appreciate the size and weight of the thing.. I worry now that my 20GB will just sit on my desk and rot away now, the shuffle is so much easier to stuff in a pocket, plus it doesn't need a case of any kind..
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 02:21 PM

By the way I just want to brag, I've had my Shuffle for a full month now, still haven't charged it since the day I got it, using it a few hours every week, battery indicator is still green. Horray!
esdesign

chessplayer
Nov 7, 2005, 02:06 AM

I love my iPod shuffle too. Amazingly light, elegant, and easy to use, and the battery life is great. I also have a 20GB 4G iPod, which I've hardly even used since getting the shuffle since the shuffle is so handy.

ben.mcguire
Nov 8, 2005, 12:02 PM

I have stopped using my 4G 20GB ipod since I got my shuffle, the best £69 I have spent this year. I havent given it a full charge since I got it 3 months ago. It only charges when I update the songs every now and then

Forum Links
Forum Rules