Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bought too early! MBP

Bought too early! MBP
deTaNg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 06:31 PM

I recently just bought a 1.83 MBP on the 11th, recieved it on the 15th and now a week and day later from my order date, the speed bump comes out!

Is there anything that I can do to resolve my anguish?!!!!

Comments and suggestions really really really welcome here!

dazzla
Senior User
May 20, 2006, 06:38 PM

I thought the Apple stores (online and retail) have a 14 day guarantee, they'll refund the difference or something.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2006, 06:38 PM

I think your only option is to return it (14 day window, I think), pay a 10% restocking fee, and then get the new one.

Chris

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 06:51 PM

Keep in mind that the only specs that changed is that the 1.83 MBP now comes with a 2.0 Ghz processor and the free option to choose a glossy screen. It still only comes with 128mb of vram and 512mb of system ram. If you have to pay a restocking fee you will only be getting a bump in the processor speed.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by deTaNg
I recently just bought a 1.83 MBP on the 11th, recieved it on the 15th and now a week and day later from my order date, the speed bump comes out!

Comments and suggestions really really really welcome here!

Is it really that big of a deal?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 20, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by deTaNg
Realize that the speed difference is negligible.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2006, 07:24 PM

I think you should call Apple and explain the situation to them, you might get a refund. Good luck
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

pete
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 07:33 PM

I'm a little bit in the same situation except that I bought from amazon which offers not only a 30-day return policy, but also a price guarantee. I could return it and get a 2ghz replacement, but I'm too scared of what kind of problems a new one might have. still undecided though.

So, if you're otherwise happy with your machine (heat,whine,display etc), I would think twice before you ask for another one. It really does seem to be hit or miss with these things.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Realize that the speed difference is negligible.
I would not call a 10% increase in speed "negligible"
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2006, 11:44 PM

Yeah, but it's not a 10% increase in overall system speed -- just the processor. I'd say a 10% bump to CPU clock is pretty negligible. Still, I can understand how it would be annoying to have it happen so soon after purchase.

If he did get it from Apple or a place like Amazon, it's possible that calling might get him something as a token of good will. A small price reduction, etc.

deTaNg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 11:36 AM

Welps, I messaged into Apple and I was responded with a reply that said it would issue a credit to my payment of $106 for the situation.

Just wanted to update everyone on what happened to the story...

P.S. It's not a question of whether the speed is necessary or needed but of what to do when a product was introduced one day (16th) after I bought and then received it (15th).

I know some would, but wouldn't most of you feel dimayed in some form or way that it came out to happen that way?!

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 12:38 PM

I certainly would, and would have done exactly the same as you did. I have seen Apple being generous when it comes to this kind of Customer Service and I think it is a big for Apple (although I did not expect anything less from Apple )
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by pete
I'm a little bit in the same situation except that I bought from amazon which offers not only a 30-day return policy, but also a price guarantee. I could return it and get a 2ghz replacement, but I'm too scared of what kind of problems a new one might have. still undecided though.

So, if you're otherwise happy with your machine (heat,whine,display etc), I would think twice before you ask for another one. It really does seem to be hit or miss with these things.
Actually, under the returns policy on Amazon when you click "product specific policies" and then "computers" it does offer a 30 day return policy if the computer is unopened. If it is, you still have 30 days to return it, but there is a 15% restocking fee. Apple has a 14 day policy but only charges a 10% fee. I guess you have to choose between a longer return window and a greater fee or a shorter window and a smaller fee.

Here is the link to the amazon policy:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...514400-3839362

pete
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 02:17 PM

That may be their official policy, but they never enforce it. Furthermore, if an item is defective, which is what mine is in more than one way (and maybe all macbooks), they automatically send you a new replacement once you can give them a tracking number for the old one - plus they pay return shipping.

I would never buy from any other online store than Amazon, not even Apple. I've purchased hundred of items, many of them rather expensive, and have never had a problem with returns, replacements or anything else. Once it took a while for return powerbook to reach them, but they assured me that I would receive a full refund regardless if they got it or not as long as I had the shipping number. The are simply great to deal with and now they seem to have added U.S. support staff too which makes it even better - there appears to be a 50% chance you get speak to a U.S. support person instead of Indian support.

I'd be curious though if anybody here has been charged a restocking fee?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by pete

I'd be curious though if anybody here has been charged a restocking fee?
never
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules