Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Plextor EIDE CDRW in my G3?

Plextor EIDE CDRW in my G3?
beacher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2000, 12:55 PM

Deal-Mac has a Plextor 12X/10X/32X CDRW listed at $260 (from Onvia), and I was just wondering if I could replace the CDR drive with that? Will it just plug in?

Thanks!

TerryNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2000, 10:54 AM

I also want to replace the orginal Apple CD-Rom drive with a CD-RW. The System Profiler shows the CD-Rom drive is a ATA and I've read that ATA and EIDE drives are the same. So I'm assuming that I can pop out the CD-Rom and replace with a Yahama EIDE internal. But I'd like some confrimation of this assumption.

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2000, 12:48 PM

I don't see why not. Even take a look at this from ask jeeves:

Enhanced (sometimes "Expanded") IDE is a standard electronic interface between your computer and its mass storage drives. EIDE's enhancements to Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) make it possible to address a hard disk larger than 528 Mbytes. EIDE also provides faster access to the hard drive, support for Direct Memory Access (DMA), and support for additional drives, including CD-ROM and tape devices through the AT Attachment Packet Interface (ATAPI). When updating your computer with a larger hard drive (or other drives), an EIDE "controller" can be added to your computer in one of its card slots.

I always knew that CDROMs and stuff were ATAPI (It always says it on the drive) and an ATA interface would take it, so why not EIDE?

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 13, 2000, 10:48 AM

Yes, this is very possible. IDE, ATA, ATAPI, EIDE, are all essentially the same. All you have to do is pull the cords out, remove the drive, slam the new drive in and connect it! Of course, you'll need Toast or a similar product so you can mount regular CDs and burn new ones, but that will probably come with the drive. Happy burning!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

TerryNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2000, 08:03 PM

Now I have a problem with Toast 4.1!:
I replaced the Apple CD drive with the Yamaha crw8824ez and it was a straightforward swap. I used the great directions on the Accelerate Your Mac web site. I even checked there and found several others who had replaced Apple's drive with a Yamaha 8424 EIDE drive. They said Toast worked for them. But Toast will not eject a disk - either from the Finder or from within Toast, or with the drive eject button. I disabled Apple CD driver and am using the Toast reader extension. The drive will mount a CD, and I was able to save some files to CD once. I am not able to save any more files to the same CD. I have to reboot in order to eject the disk. I can't get tech support from Adaptec because I have a OEM version of Toast 4.1. Any ideas? Oh yeah, I trashed Toast and reinstalled with extensions off - same probem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules