Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > AvP 2 Performance

AvP 2 Performance
PJW
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2003, 12:46 AM

I'm wondering if anyone else out there is having trouble with performance in AvP 2. I'll admit that my 12" PB is no gaming machine, but I find it hard to believe that a two year old game like this can choke my system even on low settings when I can get games like WC3, MOH, and even UT2K3 to deliver acceptable to pretty awesome performance.

The problem is especially bad with the Marine. Whenever I turn on the shoulder lamp, the frame rates take a turn for a worse. And when an Alien pops up, it's slideshow city. I haven't been able to get past the second level. With the Predator and Alien, it's decent, although on big outdoor levels the Predator's vision switching can cause some slowdown.

I'm going to try it out on a more powerful comp tomorrow to see if the experience is any better. If not, I'm going to be disappointed that I spent $50 for a 2 year old game that my system can't even handle and I can only return to the store for the same game.
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 26, 2003, 10:35 AM

Omni and 3D games don't seem to mix.

Dunno why Omni's game always get released in such a seemingly unoptimized state. I won't draw any conclusions yet since I don't have the game but SoF was like this (mostly due to problems with Apple's OpenGL though)...

Although Freedom Force seems to actually work well.

Under 10.3 however, all of Omni's ports seem to break. I know Fallout 1, 2 crash and Freedom Force (sometimes) hangs at launch (probably has something to do with the CD taking forever to mount or load anything under 10.3). Once in the game, all the button textures are foobared. Really hope Omni updates the games to work under 10.3...I haven't really gotten the chance to play FF and F1 and F2 since I bought them almost a year ago.

PJW  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2003, 07:21 PM

Well, I tried the game out on a 17" iMac, and performance wasn't much better. A little more fluid in places, but it still showed a lot of slowdown whenever there was a light source or an enemy on the screen.

If anyone was interested in getting AvP 2, I'd wait for some sort of patch, because as it stands now, it's unplayable. Unless you have a top of the line G4, of course, which is ridiculous since the game is TWO YEARS OLD!!!

:angry at loss of $50:

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2003, 11:16 AM

I got the top of the line MDD G4 when it was released (which also means that it will be a long time before I get a new computer), and I also remember SoF 2 being real slow until I got a patch that made it faster. As soon as I acquire AvP II, I'll post my exact framerates to give others an idea.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 06:33 PM

The main thing slowing down SoF II for me was the lack of decent texture compression support until 10.2.3 came out. Once that came out we got support for S3TC texture compression which is much better than the arb one in use before then.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2003, 09:42 PM

So far, my 1GHz TiBook runs the game minimally well at 640x480x32 with most of the bells and whistles turned off. Things start to stutter when more than a couple of bugs come on screen, though. The clipping distance also seems rather short.

I get better performance on my P3 450/TNT2 PCI machine than I do on my PB (based on the PC demo). Shame.

ambush
Banned
Jul 30, 2003, 10:12 AM

Guys - this is totally unacceptable.

You really should complain. Really.

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 3, 2003, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I was just about to buy it. I was already a bit disappointed with the crappy performance of BloodRayne and didn't want to deal with another unoptimized port.

PJW  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2003, 05:36 PM

Just got an update from Macplay. I had to send a second email, since they apparently ignored my first one. Anyway, it read as follows:

---

Hello,

We apologize for a lack of response with your issue. We take pride in our
Tech and Customer support and guarantee a 24 hour return on all e-mail
inquiries.

We work with Omni Group on all of our Omni ported games. We have built a
patch that addresses these issues and will update our website as soon as we
have a release date. Hopefully, we will have it out in the very near future.
For now, you can turn off 'Environmental Chrome' in the graphics menu. You
will find it in the 'Custom Performance' tab. This should eliminate the
crashes in the Marine campaigns and increase over all game play.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround besides re-starting the computer for
the Aliens Night Vision issue (which will be fixed in the patch).

Thank you for your patience.

---

So a patch is on the way. Hopefully sooner than later.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 06:53 PM

The game appears to run well on my G4 867 Quicksilver, with a Radeon 9000. But than again, I have 1.5 GIGs of RAM.

IS it me, or does the gameplay, as in movement, seem just a bit slow? I always feel like I'm walking all the time, never running, or jogging, or scurrying. Must just be me.

Than again, I do take pleasure in knocking people's heads off.

Also, if anyone could give me some help figuring out the preditor's Disc throwing thingy, I can never figure out how to make it work well. Maybe I'm just dumb. Maybe I'm just so insane from using a Mac!

Forum Links
Forum Rules