Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery drain on 12" PB

Battery drain on 12" PB
PJW
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 05:40 PM

I've noticed that if I keep my 12" in its case for a while, when I pull it back out, the battery meter will show that it's lost some power. I could be at a full charge, close up the laptop, and when I open it a few hours later, it'll show I'm down at 96%. Any ideas?

Also, my energy settings don't seem to help me get a lot of extra power out of my battery. Even with the screen dimmed and the Energy Saver set to Longest Battery Life, I still only get maybe a couple of hours.
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 06:01 PM

It all depends what you're doing. The biggest battery drainers are screen brightness and Airport. if you turn off Airport and set the brightness to 4 or less bars you should get an extra hour or so on your battery (at least, i do). Also, if you have BlueTooth on, that drains the battery. Besides that, it just depends on what apps you're running. If you have iTunes running the whole time, it will drain a lot of battery. if you just have Safari and iChat open, on the other hand, you'll get much more battery life.

As for your first question about closing it, when you put the computer to sleep, it doesn't turn off. It keeps the contents of the RAM alive so that it can turn on instantly. The sacrifice for this is that it uses around 1% of the battery per hour.

Forum Links
Forum Rules