Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Computer refuses to pull an IP address

Computer refuses to pull an IP address
PJW
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 08:30 AM

I've been having a serious problem with my computer and Airport connection at home. I'm using a Rev. A Powerbook G4 12" with OS 10.3, and a few days ago it stopped being able to connect to the Internet. In the Network control panel, it says that it is using a self-assigned IP address and can't connect to the Internet. My cable modem provider is Grande Communications, and they told me that it was a problem with the computer and there is nothing they can do about it.

There are three things that make this a weird problem. The first one is that the other computer on the network, an iBook, connects to the Internet just fine, without any kind of problem. The second thing is that the Powerbook, totally at random, will pull a valid IP address and show up in the Network Status window as being connected to the Internet. However, it either won't connect to any website or it will just be incredibly slow and eventually time out. Finally, the Powerbook connects to other wireless networks just fine anywhere else. I use it at school all the time and it never has a problem connecting to that network.

I've tried almost everything to fix this: I've done a soft reset, a hard reset, reloaded the software to the base station, followed the start from sratch instructions, and reinstalled the system software. I've been trying to use the Airport Admin Utility to fix the problem, but it can't even see the base station most of the time, or when it does it tells me there was an error with the configuration file whenever I try to configure it. I thought that the problem might just be with the base station, but when I plugged the computer directly into the cable modem it still wouldn't pull an IP address.

Finally, this isn't the first time I've encountered this problem. I've been having these sort of problems with my Airport connection once every couple months, but it's never been this bad before and I've always been able to fix it, though it does take a few hours of work. I'd like to try to find out what's causing this so I can make sure it doesn't happen again in the future.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.

Forum Links
Forum Rules