Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keynote Speech (Not looking good in Quicktime)

Keynote Speech (Not looking good in Quicktime)
Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 10:37 PM

I am watching Steve's keynote speech on my Mac in quicktime, but the quality is aweful.

For starters, the image is miniture. WHen i make it larger, the image is just bad bad bad.

Why can't they broadcast it in a higher quality?

On a side note, i tried watching at work on my PC and it looked must better.
ARG!!!!!

I'm using a 23 inch apple display and a g5 computer......

Maelman
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 10:53 PM

It's a scalable feed. You might have just had a faster internet connection at work and seen the higher quality version.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 11:52 PM

I tried to watch it too. I have an extremely fast connection (on a large college campus). I think Apple's servers were just too busy. But yes the quality is scaleable. I couldn't even just listen to it, the audio kept cutting out...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Green Leaf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 08:48 AM

i wasn't clear in the my first post. Even if i select the link now to watch the video, the quality is aweful (it's thursday).

I have the highest end graphics card that ships with the G5 and my screen resolution is set to 1920 x 1200. I think these two GREAT things are hurting me and making the video look bad.

My theory is such: My hardware is taking all the imperfections in the video and making them obvious when watching.
It's like a new TV, if the channel isn't that clear....it looks worse than it does on an older and smaller TV. Therefore, my crappy Pentium 3 at work makes the video look better because it can't focus on the all the imperfections.........and i'm essentially shooting myself in the foot because i have a great home computer and great hardware.

Does this make sense?

Has anyone else tried watching it in 1920 x 1200 on a new G5?
When it plays, the normal video size is .5 of an inch tall.....i can't even see anything......so i have to blow up the screen.

and yes, i did try changing the resolution.....helps slightly, but not much.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Green Leaf:
When it plays, the normal video size is .5 of an inch tall.....i can't even see anything......
The video is not ½ an inch tall. Did you set your connection speed correctly in the QuickTime system preferences?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 06:07 PM

LIke the above poster said, you have to set your connection speed correctly to see the correct feed.

drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2005, 06:57 PM

As pointed out above, changing your Quicktime preferences to match your connection speed should let the movie stream without cutting out.

Increasing the size of the Quicktime window will make the subjective picture quality worse - movies are compressed to look reasonably clear at their default size. Making the window bigger can't increase the number of pixels which make up the picture.

I wouldn't start getting worried about your gear - this is a low quality web stream. Stick a DVD in if you want to judge display quality.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2005, 10:20 PM

I noticed the same thing ... couldn't watch it without either the video or audio crapping out .. Finally I gave up after trying for a few days ...

Pretty strange that it works great on a PC ... and yes my Quicktime connections are correct
Tiger 10.4.8

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 03:19 PM

I watched it a few hours after it was posted and it played fine on my MDD G4. I am on a college campus and noticed the stream was about 68k/s. It wasn't the best quality but it was mainly the dark shadows that looked bad. The text was all readable (I had it in full screen mode). My stream cut after an hour and fifteen minutes or so and I had to restart it a few times to get it to start again and then I had some audio bugs for maybe 5 minutes but then the rest played fine.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 04:15 PM

Everytime I try to watch it on my PowerBook 15" 1.5GHz, the sound starts cutting out periodically after Steve starts talking about the London store. I even downloaded someone's .mov direct file and it had the same problem!

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2005, 04:46 PM

I had the same quality issues (sound would cut out when Steve was talking about the London store) on Tuesday. Wednesday it was fine.
â•­1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
â•°2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2005, 05:02 PM

I can't even get it load (I did briefly on Wednesday, I think) today, Friday. Wanted to watch it at my leisure. Drats.

Edited: Turns out it was a security config block. My bad.
( Last edited by mcsjgs; Jan 21, 2005 at 11:28 AM. )
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 03:33 PM

I've watched it three times this week. Each time it got better. So I guess as the hype dies down and people aren't watching as much, it gets better.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 03:53 PM

What kind of quality do you EXPECT from streaming video? I watched the keynote on Tuesday night and the stream was flawless, of course I only have a sub 768k connection (set to 512k in QT) and don't expect the video quality to be very high, and it wasn't (still better than ANYTHING I've seen in WMP though ).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 04:11 PM

They must have posted a new version of the stream. The one I see now looks much better than the one that was out Tuesday.

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 04:51 PM

I agree the quality now for me in the UK (4Meg broadband) is like watching TV, if not better.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 03:56 AM

ODD!!!

The keynote and the new Tiger videos were working for me all week, but today when I tried to re-watch them .... NONE of them are working and the screens are grey-ish colored.

All of my other non-apple website videos are working though ..... ???

Any Ideas? [below is a screenshot with my problem]

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 04:51 AM

I found my answer .....

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/2

^ in case anyone else is having this problem after installing the EyeTV 1.7 update.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 07:35 AM

Just wait until H.264

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 08:40 AM

Ahh h.264... how I want thee... let me count the ways...

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2005, 11:07 AM

Another thought, use the OPT-CMD-+ to zoom the image instead of trying to grow the Quicktime window. Seems to provide decent results without messing up the Quicktime.

milhous
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 05:18 PM

don't you need a qt pro key in order to watch them at higher quality?
F = ma

milhous
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 06:04 PM

don't you need a qt pro key in order to watch them at higher quality?
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules