Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple in trouble?

Apple in trouble?
Thread Tools
lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 04:58 AM
 
That video from Diamond seems pretty damning to me. He even used the term Multi-touch. I guess we have to wonder if Apple's reality distortion field with affect the jurors or not.

I simply don't see how Apple has a chance regarding the patents, expect perhaps for the double tap - zoom patent, and that is questionable after watching that video. The trade dress nonsense is simply BS considering we see the same thing in computer monitors and TVs on a daily basis.

I hope the jury members are able to see past Apple's facade and rule in Samsung's favor. Maybe then Apple can get back to innovating instead of resting on their laurels (Yes, I do think the iPhone 5/6 or whatever will be disappointing)
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 05:45 AM
 
EVERY iPhone since the 3G has been disappointing.

To a handful of self-proclaimed experts, analysts, and to clueless geeks who haven't the slightest clue why each of these disappointing iPhone revisions breaks all previous sales records by a wide margin.
     
lamewing  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 06:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
EVERY iPhone since the 3G has been disappointing.

To a handful of self-proclaimed experts, analysts, and to clueless geeks who haven't the slightest clue why each of these disappointing iPhone revisions breaks all previous sales records by a wide margin.
I NEVER stated that "EVERY iPhone since the 3G has been disappointing"

Just because something sells well doesn't mean it isn't disappointing. Apple fans are going to buy an iPhone first and foremost over anything else and if Apple has its way against Samsung/Google/others no one will have a choice but to buy an iPhone in the near future. :/ I am one of those people who bought a 4S and thought it was disappointing. I used to own a 16GB 3GS, a 16GB 4, and a 16GB 4S. After a month I sold the 4S and used the money to buy a 32GB iPhone 4 simply because the 4S didn't provide much extra other than slightly faster processors and Siri. I would rather have the extra storage for my music.

Will I buy the next iPhone on launch day? Nope. I did this for all my other iPhones, but at this point I just don't expect much from Apple anymore...other than wasting money on pointless litigation. I don't care if Samsung's phones are similar to the iPhone, I previously bought the iPhone...because it was an iPhone. Now, I am not so sure being an iPhone is enough of a reason to upgrade. I am starting to think that I would be better off with a Samsung Nexus and either an iPod Touch or iPod Nano at this point.

I hope Apple gets its head on straight and really starts to put it to the competition...by making great products again....not merely minor yearly updates.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 07:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post
That video from Diamond seems pretty damning to me. He even used the term Multi-touch. I guess we have to wonder if Apple's reality distortion field with affect the jurors or not.
I simply don't see how Apple has a chance regarding the patents, expect perhaps for the double tap - zoom patent, and that is questionable after watching that video. The trade dress nonsense is simply BS considering we see the same thing in computer monitors and TVs on a daily basis.
I hope the jury members are able to see past Apple's facade and rule in Samsung's favor. Maybe then Apple can get back to innovating instead of resting on their laurels (Yes, I do think the iPhone 5/6 or whatever will be disappointing)
This.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post
I NEVER stated that "EVERY iPhone since the 3G has been disappointing"
Just because something sells well doesn't mean it isn't disappointing. Apple fans are going to buy an iPhone first and foremost over anything else and if Apple has its way against Samsung/Google/others no one will have a choice but to buy an iPhone in the near future. :/ I am one of those people who bought a 4S and thought it was disappointing. I used to own a 16GB 3GS, a 16GB 4, and a 16GB 4S. After a month I sold the 4S and used the money to buy a 32GB iPhone 4 simply because the 4S didn't provide much extra other than slightly faster processors and Siri. I would rather have the extra storage for my music.
Will I buy the next iPhone on launch day? Nope. I did this for all my other iPhones, but at this point I just don't expect much from Apple anymore...other than wasting money on pointless litigation. I don't care if Samsung's phones are similar to the iPhone, I previously bought the iPhone...because it was an iPhone. Now, I am not so sure being an iPhone is enough of a reason to upgrade. I am starting to think that I would be better off with a Samsung Nexus and either an iPod Touch or iPod Nano at this point.
I hope Apple gets its head on straight and really starts to put it to the competition...by making great products again....not merely minor yearly updates.
Ignore him. He's immature and always trolls and derails conversations. You'll never get anything else from him.

As for Apple and putting out great products and innovating, welcome to the new Jobless Apple. More R&D spending, increased corporate focus, less on products. Somebody get that Cook the hell out of there because he is in way, way over his head. He is not the guy to run Apple. I am going to keep saying it over and over and when the day happens when they call for his resignation, which I predicted to be 2 years after he took the helm (November 2013), then there you go.
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
EVERY iPhone since the 3G has been disappointing.
To a handful of self-proclaimed experts, analysts, and to clueless geeks who haven't the slightest clue why each of these disappointing iPhone revisions breaks all previous sales records by a wide margin.
Yes. It's a pretty safe bet that the blogoshere will declare the next iPhone "disappointing" too. Consumers won't listen.
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post
I hope the jury members are able to see past Apple's facade and rule in Samsung's favor. Maybe then Apple can get back to innovating instead of resting on their laurels.
I hope the jury rules in Apple's favor. Maybe then Samsung can try innovating.
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
 
While I think Apple has a strong case, there is always risk when taking a case to trial. It could go either way and we won't know until it's over.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
... when they call for his resignation, which I predicted to be 2 years after he took the helm (November 2013), then there you go.
I think we need to start documenting freudling's predictions. He's pretty quiet when they don't pan out, but I suspect he'll extremely loud about it the few times that he's right.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I think we need to start documenting freudling's predictions. He's pretty quiet when they don't pan out, but I suspect he'll extremely loud about it the few times that he's right.
I predicted the iPhone 5 would have a larger screen last year. Apple never released a 5 but a spec bump as in a 4S. I was critical of them for not doing it. We'll find out id this prediction holds true when the 5 launches presumably in a month.

I have predicted all tweeners will fail, including Apple's if it releases one. My other prediction is that they won't release one.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I predicted the iPhone 5 would have a larger screen last year. Apple never released a 5 but a spec bump as in a 4S. I was critical of them for not doing it. We'll find out id this prediction holds true when the 5 launches presumably in a month.
I have predicted all tweeners will fail, including Apple's if it releases one. My other prediction is that they won't release one.
freudling's failed predictions:
  • predicted that the *2011* iPhone would be called the iPhone 5 and would have a larger screen. It wasn't and it didn't.
  • predicted that "tweeners" would do better than the iPad. They didn't.

freudling's current predictions:
  • all tweeners, including Apple's if it releases one, will fail ("fail" has not been defined here)
  • Apple will not release a tweener iPad
  • the 2012 iPhone will have a larger screen ("larger" has not been defined here. Will you claim victory if it's 1mm larger?)
  • the 2012 iPhone will be called the iPhone 5

You don't yet have much of a track record for successful predictions. Do you have examples of any predictions that you've made which ended up happening?
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
freudling's failed predictions:
  • predicted that the *2011* iPhone would be called the iPhone 5 and would have a larger screen. It wasn't and it didn't.
  • No it didn't. And it's no my problem that Apple decided to rest on their laurels. This year they will release the iPhone 5 or they might as well pack up and go home.

    Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
  • predicted that "tweeners" would do better than the iPad. They didn't.
Show me the prediction that I said tweeners would do better than the iPad. I think you're taking this out of context.
freudling's current predictions:
  • Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
  • all tweeners, including Apple's if it releases one, will fail ("fail" has not been defined here) Less than 10 million unit sales over a 12 month period. In addition, they will get initial traction but it will taper off of a cliff and they'll end up killing it after just 1 year on the market. There you go, defined.

    Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
  • Apple will not release a tweener iPad Correct, Apple will not release a tweener. To make it more concrete, they won't release one this year for sure and if they're stupid they'll release one at some point into the future. And regardless of when they release it, it'll completely fail.

    Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
  • the 2012 iPhone will have a larger screen ("larger" has not been defined here. Will you claim victory if it's 1mm larger?) Minimum of a 4" screen up from the current 3.5" screen.

    Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
  • the 2012 iPhone will be called the iPhone 5
It'll be called the "iPhone". Not iPhone 5, but we can look at it as the iPhone 5.

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
You don't yet have much of a track record for successful predictions. Do you have examples of any predictions that you've made which ended up happening?
You manipulate words and posts to suit your position. It's clear what my position is full stop.

1. Tweeners are a failure. Nobody, including Apple, will make them successful.
2. Tim Cook is wrong for Apple and by this time next year people will start calling for his resignation.
3. The iPhone will get a larger screen this year. The reason is because people want larger screened smartphones. The success of the SIII and others shows that people are interested in those sizes.

See you this September punk.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
No it didn't. And it's no my problem that Apple decided to rest on their laurels.
It *is* your problem because it highlights the fundamental flaw with the predictions that you make all the time. You predicted a larger screen for last year. You were wrong because you didn't understand Apple (the Steve Jobs Apple, no less) as well as you thought you did.
You "full stop" guarantee, based on all the research and experience you have, that something will happen, and, when your predictions don't pan out, you change the parameters.

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
It'll be called the "iPhone". Not iPhone 5, but we can look at it as the iPhone 5.
Why would we look at it as the iPhone 5? The 4S was the 5th iPhone. The 2012 version will be the 6th.

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
You manipulate words and posts to suit your position. It's clear what my position is full stop.
*You* manipulate your own words.

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
3. The iPhone will get a larger screen this year.
And if it doesn't this, then it'll get a larger screen next year, or the year after, or the year after ... right?


Oh, and when are you going to ship me my Nexus 7? Or, are you actually using it now?
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2012, 11:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It *is* your problem because it highlights the fundamental flaw with the predictions that you make all the time. You predicted a larger screen for last year. You were wrong because you didn't understand Apple (the Steve Jobs Apple, no less) as well as you thought you did.
You "full stop" guarantee, based on all the research and experience you have, that something will happen, and, when your predictions don't pan out, you change the parameters.
Why would we look at it as the iPhone 5? The 4S was the 5th iPhone. The 2012 version will be the 6th.
*You* manipulate your own words.
And if it doesn't this, then it'll get a larger screen next year, or the year after, or the year after ... right?
Oh, and when are you going to ship me my Nexus 7? Or, are you actually using it now?
Full stop, Apple NEVER released the iPhone 5. Fact. The iPhone 4S is just an iPhone 4 with some spec bumps. I was wrong that they didn't release it. And I was critical of them publicly last year for not.

Bottom line: Apple will NOT release an iPad Mini; Apple will release an iPhone 5 and call it iPhone with a larger screen. Tim Cook will hurt Apple and get ousted by this time next year. Tweeners are a failure and Apple will not make them successful. No company will.

There you go. iCal this September punk.
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 12:25 AM
 
Full stop, Apple probably never planned to release the iPhone 5 last year. Anyone could see they had developed a pattern of redesigning every 2 years and then bumping slightly in between. They even came out and said they wanted their product releases to be a bit more regular that they had been in the past.

I'd like to agree with you that Apple won't release a 7" iPad but there seems to be mounting evidence that they will. Still, I'll remain hopeful until I start seeing parts show up on chinese sites.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 02:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
EVERY iPhone since the 3G has been disappointing.

To a handful of self-proclaimed experts, analysts, and to clueless geeks who haven't the slightest clue why each of these disappointing iPhone revisions breaks all previous sales records by a wide margin.
I NEVER stated that "EVERY iPhone since the 3G has been disappointing"

Just because something sells well doesn't mean it isn't disappointing. Apple fans are going to buy an iPhone first and foremost over anything else
That's exactly it — that bolded bit there.

That is exactly what you're not understanding.

Most people buying iPhones have never in their entire lives owned an Apple product before!

These aren't the "Apple faithful" who will buy anything that Apple puts out. People like you keep trotting them out as if they had any relevance to the market at all — they haven't for almost ten years!

My point is that for each version of the iPhone, Internet dweebs claimed it was "disappointing":
The first one didn't have 3G.
The second one had a shitty camera.
The third one didn't look any different from the second one.
The fourth one—can't remember offhand, but there were several arguments, plus the manufactured antennagate one.
The fifth one didn't look any different from the fourth.
The sixth one won't have NFC, or whatever will be the disappointment to some people.

And yet, every iPhone generation has sold more than ALL PREVIOUS GENERATIONS COMBINED.
These people aren't buying iPhones because they're Apple fans. They're buying iPhones because Apple makes the most appealing product out there.

Nobody cares about the six people who claim to be disappointed, because they'll ALWAYS be disappointed.

The tie-back to your initial post is this:
It's ridiculous to claim that the next iPhone will be disappointing because Apple is tied up in these lawsuits and resting on their laurels.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 02:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Ignore him. He's immature and always trolls and derails conversations. You'll never get anything else from him.
I believe lamewing was talking to me. We're both no newbies to this forum, and I'm sure he and I will be able to figure out a level of worthwhile conversation.

Could you please stop taking pot shots from the sidelines in a feeble attempt to get the neighbors riled up?
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 04:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Apple will release an iPhone 5 and call it iPhone with a larger screen.
I don't disagree that Apple will release a redesigned iPhone this year and that it will likely have a screen larger than what the phone currently sports. Will it be your magical 4"?

What I find curious, though, is why you insist on calling it the iPhone 5? There is nothing about this years phone that will be "5".

First iPhone...= First iPhone release = iPhone 1st Gen
iPhone 3G.....= 2nd iPhone release..= iPhone 2nd Gen
iPhone 3Gs...= 3rd iPhone release...= iPhone 2.5 Gen
iPhone 4.......= 4th iPhone release...= iPhone 3rd Gen
iPhone 4S.....= 5th iPhone release...= iPhone 3.5 Gen
iPhone 2012.= 6th iPhone release..= iPhone 4th Gen
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 06:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I don't disagree that Apple will release a redesigned iPhone this year and that it will likely have a screen larger than what the phone currently sports. Will it be your magical 4"?
What I find curious, though, is why you insist on calling it the iPhone 5? There is nothing about this years phone that will be "5".
First iPhone...= First iPhone release = iPhone 1st Gen
iPhone 3G.....= 2nd iPhone release..= iPhone 2nd Gen
iPhone 3Gs...= 3rd iPhone release...= iPhone 2.5 Gen
iPhone 4.......= 4th iPhone release...= iPhone 3rd Gen
iPhone 4S.....= 5th iPhone release...= iPhone 3.5 Gen
iPhone 2012.= 6th iPhone release..= iPhone 4th Gen
What's the name of the current iPhone?
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
 
Forgot my other prediction 2 weeks ago:

1. In about 6 weeks from now, we'll be hearing of sales of the Nexus 7 falling off of a cliff. That it will fail long-term and nobody will use them as evidenced at that point by logs showing how abysmal its net marketshare is. And customer satisfaction surveys will reveal how people didn't end up liking the device and moved onto the iPad, etc.

And my prediction about the Kindle Fire last year was spot on. Initial flurry of sales then within a few months sales drop off of a cliff then failure.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 05:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
What's the name of the current iPhone?
4S, which is completely meaningless as names go. The iPhone4 was only named so because it was the 4th iPhone to be released, including the 3GS in that count. The 5th iPhone to be released was the 4S. The 2012 iPhone will be the *6th* iPhone released, therefore, if it were to have any name other the The New iPhone, it would be the iPhone6, since Apple clearly has had no consistent naming strategy around the iPhone.

I think you are merely hinged to the name "iPhone 5" because it somehow represents significant change to the iPhone line. It appears to have mythic status with you.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
4S, which is completely meaningless as names go. The iPhone4 was only named so because it was the 4th iPhone to be released, including the 3GS in that count. The 5th iPhone to be released was the 4S. The 2012 iPhone will be the *6th* iPhone released, therefore, if it were to have any name other the The New iPhone, it would be the iPhone6, since Apple clearly has had no consistent naming strategy around the iPhone.
I think you are merely hinged to the name "iPhone 5" because it somehow represents significant change to the iPhone line. It appears to have mythic status with you.
Bla blah. Yes, the iPhone 5 I predicted last year was supposed to have a larger screen and be redesigned. The current iPhone is an iPhone 4 with a spec bump. Exact same design. This September we'll get the new phone redesign and larger screen. Whether its any good nobody knows.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Bla blah. Yes, the iPhone 5 I predicted last year was supposed to have a larger screen and be redesigned. The current iPhone is an iPhone 4 with a spec bump. Exact same design. This September we'll get the new phone redesign and larger screen. Whether its any good nobody knows.
See? Now that wasn't so painful, was it? Of course, nobody is questioning that the 2012 iPhone will be redesigned and most of the rumours support the belief that the screen will be taller/longer; whether much more screen *area* will depend on how much longer they make it. This is a rather easy prediction.

Now, since one must have a reliable track record for their "full stop" predictions to carry any weight ... which other of your past predictions have actually come true? Kindle Fire isn't too surprising, given the low end market it's in ... attention will always flock to the latest/cheapest device and the overall tablet market in general has seen a drop. The real tell will be if sales remain down in gift-giving season.

Oh, and how are you enjoying your Nexus7? I'm assuming you're loving it since you've obviously decided to not give it away for the cost of shipping.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2012, 09:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
See? Now that wasn't so painful, was it? Of course, nobody is questioning that the 2012 iPhone will be redesigned and most of the rumours support the belief that the screen will be taller/longer; whether much more screen *area* will depend on how much longer they make it. This is a rather easy prediction.
Now, since one must have a reliable track record for their "full stop" predictions to carry any weight ... which other of your past predictions have actually come true? Kindle Fire isn't too surprising, given the low end market it's in ... attention will always flock to the latest/cheapest device and the overall tablet market in general has seen a drop. The real tell will be if sales remain down in gift-giving season.
Oh, and how are you enjoying your Nexus7? I'm assuming you're loving it since you've obviously decided to not give it away for the cost of shipping.
Dude BS. Everyone was attacking me on my Fire set sail for fail prediction. At the time, it was hyped up and many people including on here thought it would succeed. I knew it would fail because it's easy: tweeners are useless and anyone who makes them will fail because people simply will not use them. Watch and see if Apple releases one.

The thing that separates me from some others is that I can turn off my "geek". I can be "human". I realize that people have a life to live. They need to eat. Bath. Sleep. Have sex. Travel. Have emotional support and love. Go out and exercise. Work and make money. To think that people have so much time to devote to using gadgets is just plain wrong and stupid. They in fact don't. And what they are using more and more that fills their day is a smartphone. Running into the grocery store. Driving. At work. And at home a desktop or laptop, and more and more an iPad on the couch. To think that a Tweener is going to be compelling for someone to use on the couch is... good luck with that my friend.

The Nexus 7 is a piece of crap. I took a picture of it for you collecting dust in the office:
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
 
Wake up, smartphones are the killer App:

http://macdailynews.com/2012/08/16/time-magazine-10-ways-your-phone-is-changing-the-world-poll-84-cant-go-a-single-day-without-mobile-device/
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,