Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > How are games on the PB's?

How are games on the PB's?
epsionbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2005, 07:38 PM

(please be right forum, please be right forum....)

Hey guys i was just wondering how a lot of games turn out playing on powerbooks, i've always played on standard monitors with standard resolutions. If i play a game like halo will that stretch out normal resoultions so i'm shooting chubby grunts? Or will it be halo in wide screen with basically more viewing area? Plus are games hard to work around if you don't use an external mouse with the power book?
17in pb - 1.67ghz 512
20gig hp+ipod blue case

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 02:06 AM

Depends on the game, many newer ones support widescrean without any problems (IE: WoW works great on my 15"). I'm not sure about halo, but I would assume it will play in WS mode. As for an external mouse, again it depends on the game, but for most it is a definite necessity if you're not using some other device (such as a controller). The track pad will not cut it for most games, though I have played WoW for short stints between classes with the trackpad --> anoying.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Xidius
Jan 3, 2006, 11:52 AM

I often prefer using my trackpad while playing WoW, as a rogue.

.. Unless I'm dueling. Then you need to be able to spin around quickly to backstab.

- Xidius
You're just jealous coz' the voices wont talk to you!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2006, 12:12 PM

I prefer WoW on my PB in full screen mode over the 19" actually though I use an external keyboard and Trackman. Just make sure you get enough ram, the more the merrier.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 02:54 PM

Basically in any game you can enable widescreen mode, either by using a preset resolution in the preferences, or modifying some .ini text file to say your resolution. What I'd be more concerned about is the videocards apple puts in portables. They're not that great.

- Rob

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jan 5, 2006, 01:43 AM

Epsionbass,

Halo runs great on my PowerBook 17" 1.5 GHz 128 MB vram 2 GB RAM... at 1440 x 900... it has an option for that res. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, but the few I have played, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic, and the afore mentioned Halo, all played well on the PowerBook. It only stuttered on really large outdoor maps in KOTOR. Turning off the eye candy helps, but with the Quake 3 based games I keep the eye candy on and still get good framerates. Halo also played really well once I found a good balance of eye candy to performance. Did I say iCandy 3 times?

I don't know how the higher res PowerBooks fare, especially so since they didn't upgrade the video card when they upgraded the screens. I really do wish that Apple wouldn't skimp on the video cards in their portables. They almost always are 1 generation behind the competition with 1/2 the VRAM.

I think a good quality multi-button mouse and external keyboard is essential for gaming on the PowerBook. You'll be far more accurate and precise in your gaming so you'll only have yourself to blame if you sux. And you'll save your PowerBook a whole lotta wear and tear.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules