Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Downloading Twitter archive over satellite

Downloading Twitter archive over satellite
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2021, 09:55 PM

I have ViaSat. It's...Internet. Really, really bad Internet. I'm trying to download an archive of a Twitter account, and the download keeps failing. Since Twitter's server, for whatever stupid reason, doesn't report the download file size to my browser, every time the connection times out long enough, the download fails and I have to start over.

Normally with large downloads, I can just keep resuming/retrying until the entire file is downloaded. That is not the case with file downloads that don't report the file size to the client. I tried some download managers, and none of them work reliably to let me log in to Twitter so I can download the file.

How might I go about accomplishing this? If there's something I can do from bash, I'd prefer that; I can download the file on my Linux VPS and then get to it over SFTP from there.

Ok it downloaded (it didn't finish, but the partial archive had what I needed)..but still curious about desktop downloader clients that can reliably resume downloads when failures happen from latency and lack of available bandwidth.
( Last edited by shifuimam; May 8, 2021 at 10:41 PM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

reader50
Administrator
May 8, 2021, 11:22 PM

Sometimes your web browser can resume downloads. Open the Downloads window, and try the options offered on the incomplete download. Including right-clicking. Might get lucky.

Also sign up for Starlink. It's real, and they keep launching more satellites.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2021, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Sometimes your web browser can resume downloads. Open the Downloads window, and try the options offered on the incomplete download. Including right-clicking. Might get lucky.

Also sign up for Starlink. It's real, and they keep launching more satellites.
lol you think I'm that far behind?

nah we're on the waiting list, but it's first come, first served, so it'll be awhile before our signup is processed and we actually get service.

Other folks in town got in on the beta, and it's still very unreliable, at least where we are - hourly disconnects, etc.

Unfortunately, when the remote endpoint doesn't provide the download file size, there's no way to resume the download after it fails.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules