Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quicktime and Final Cut

Quicktime and Final Cut
drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2001, 05:51 PM

Hello. I'm using a G4 with the following specs:

Built In memory: 384MB
Virtual memory: off

When I use Final Cut Pro with the following specs I have a big problem playing back my captured footage. The Quicktime player stutters, plays slow and the audio is out of sync. When I compress the footage for streaming Real Player it looks fine. I'm using the following settings with Final Cut:

FOR VIDEO:
Compression: Apple DV-NTSC
Frame size: 720x480
FPS: 29.97
Quality: Best

FOR AUDIO:
Rate: 44.100 kHz
Size: 16 Bits

I thought perhaps that not enough memory had been allotted to Final Cut and Quicktime. I went in and beefed those up and still get the same stutter effect. This happens if I play the clip off my hard drive or import it into Final Cut. Any thoughts on how to get smooth playback?

powerg4
Mar 13, 2001, 10:10 PM

You have to make sure that the video in the viewer windows in FCP is small enough so that there aren't any scroll bars around it etc. 50% usually does it. You won't get great playback if the video doesn't fit inside the viewer window.

-T
Mar 19, 2001, 04:47 AM

DV uses 48khz audio. I think that will fix your problem. OR you may have typed 44.1khz by mistake when you actually meant 48khz.

My laptop G4 plays and captures DV footage fine... even while I had other programs running.

Forum Links
Forum Rules