Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is it worth the extra money for a Cinema Display?

Is it worth the extra money for a Cinema Display?
willed
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 10:32 AM

I've been tasked with putting together a shopping list for a new small video production studio. Money isn't tight but they obviously don't want to overspend. What I was wondering was if Cinema Displays are worth the extra cash over monitors from other vendors, or if you're just paying for the Apple logo? Or have Cinema Displays become cost-competitive in the last few years (I haven't properly researched yet)?
Cheers,
Will

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 10:53 AM

If you search the forums you'll find any number of previous threads regarding the Cinema Displays. The general consensus is that if you like pretty shiny things, and money is no object, get yourself a CD. If you are practical and more concerned with getting your money's worth, go elsewhere. I myself love my 24" Dell. The CD's are getting very long in the tooth and in desperate need of updating.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 10:57 AM

Check out this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ly-overpriced/

In a nutshell, Apple displays do tend to be higher quality, but even for the quality you get they are overpriced. You might want to try one out in your work setting, alongside a cheaper alternative, before committing to buying a bunch.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
W

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2008, 11:08 AM

Beware the cheaper displays. I don't know if the Apple displays are worth the cost, but I know some of the cheaper ones are not.

In Feb of last year I bought 2 Gateway 24" displays, each $710. I thought they were so fantastic I bought 2 more Gateways in October.

After a few days, I had serious color and backlight buzzing issues with the two new Gateways so I returned them--after trying a third new display which also had the same issues. I had forgotten that one of the Gateways I had bought earlier that year had a buzz and I had to exchange it.

So out of 6 monitors in my possession, only 2 didn't have the backlight buzz.

In recent weeks, those 2 displays have begun to crash sometimes and I had to "reboot" them by pulling the power and re-inserting it (even the power "switch" freezes up). And sometimes they buzz horribly.

My older 17" Samsungs (4 of them) were $400/ea in 2005 and have no such issues. My old two ViewSonic VP191bs were $750/ea in 2004, no issues. A cheap 18" I bought in 2003 had such serious issues I gave it away after just 6 months.

I haven't owned a Cinema display yet--UPS is delivering a 30" one today--but I have been through enough junk to want to try out the Cinema displays.

My 2c.

OreoCookie
Jan 18, 2008, 11:16 AM

Also check out this thread where a user asks exactly the same question just a few days ago.

The answer can be yes and depends crucially on what you use your computer for.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 12:26 PM

If you're relying on these displays to generate income then my answer is a resounding yes, they are worth it. Yes, they are expensive, yes there are alternatives but I have yet to experience a CD failing.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jan 18, 2008, 05:59 PM

I've been using my Samsung SyncMaster 21" lcd for almost four years now. It's on for an average of 5-8 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's never given me a problem. Apple's displays are "good" but overpriced. They've also have had their share of problems. Unless you just have to have one there are cheaper lcds to be found with similar or better quality.

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2008, 03:02 PM

Mmmm... I think... The Apple 23" and 30" are only a little overpriced. They are
good monitors! But Eizo is equally as good (actually better!) tho can cost alot
more too. Down or equal to Cinema in display quality is Dell (so #3?) but with
a huge drop in price - less than half and not all that much lower qulaity at the
same time. Then come all the "other brands" such as LG, Toshiba, Iiyama,
Mitsubishi, and etc. which are usually priced like the Dell but vary in display
quality, build quality, and feature set from the Dell - usually downwards but a
few achieve equality. This is how I see it anyways and I'm comforted by a large
number of my peers in the computer graphics industry who have arrived at the
same or very similar view of it.

So to my mind the question comes down to: Do you need the VERY BEST quality
with no compromise AT ALL regardless of price or are you willing to make some
sort of compromise?

Eizo Flexiscan/ColorEdge 24" 1920x1200 ~ $1,100 / ~$2,300
Eizo Flexiscan/ColorEdge 30" 1920x1200 ~ $3,300 / ~$5,300

Apple Cinema 23" 1920x1200 ~ $900
Apple Cinema 30" 2560x1600 ~ $1,800

Dell UltraSharp 24" 1920x1200 ~ $600
Dell UltraSharp 30" 1920x1200 ~ $900 (sale price) - Usually: ~ $2,000 (and
$1,000 for last years model with a few less features)

--
Sorry, I wrote this a over 24 hrs ago (about 20min. after the thread was created)
but just didn't click the [Post] button.

I'm pretty drunk right now and don't remember what state I left the post in (and
am too drunk to reread it) but I personally ended up getting two 24" LG monitors
for $350 each. I for sure, could be happier (with Dell or Eizo) but the LG's are
not too bad!
( Last edited by Tesselator; Jan 19, 2008 at 03:18 PM. )

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2008, 03:42 PM

Type of panel plays an important part. People seem to just be assuming that because someone paid more for the same size that it's a rip-off. But it's about quality.

Quick rundown:
TN Panels. +Great response time +Cheap -Worst viewing angle -Worst colors
VA Panels. +Good Colors +Best Contrast +Great Viewing Angle -A little more expensive -Slowest response time
IPS Panels. +Great Colors +Good response time +Great Viewing Angle -The most expensive

So, it all depends on your needs. TNs for people who are unobservant or just don't care about colors and want something cheap. VA for people who can use it's excellent contrast for working in the evening/night or like the better colors without dropping the coin on an IPS. And IPS' for people who need color accuracy and good speed (and can afford it).

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2008, 03:49 PM

I should mention, Apple's Cinema Displays all seem to use IPS panels. Dell's 30" uses an IPS as well. The Dell is a good bit cheaper and uses newer parts. So unless the style is very important to you (or you can wait for an update to the ACD line) it might be worth your while to go with a Dell.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2008, 08:33 PM

Dell's UltraSharps all use (S)IPS as far as I know.

I don't think Apple's displays are worth the premium, especially given their lack of inputs and crummy stands.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m View Post
I've been using my Samsung SyncMaster 21" lcd for almost four years now. It's on for an average of 5-8 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's never given me a problem. Apple's displays are "good" but overpriced. They've also have had their share of problems. Unless you just have to have one there are cheaper lcds to be found with similar or better quality.
Agreed about Samsung, as I wouldn't think twice about owning another. My 225BW 22-inch ($350, but that was a year ago) employs nice tilt angles and performs flawlessly. BTW exactly what "share of problems" have you heard about Apple's Cinema Displays?

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Type of panel plays an important part.

TN Panels.
VA Panels.
IPS Panels.

So, it all depends on your needs.
Thanks Aegis,
That's the categorization part I left out before the booze. Thanks for the catch!

Forum Links
Forum Rules