Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Leaving external HD on indefinitely...bad?

Leaving external HD on indefinitely...bad?
Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2008, 03:07 AM

I have a 500g LaCie HD used for Time Machine. What are the longterm effects of leaving this HD on permanently in standby mode? I've left my Mac on for the past 5 or 6 years w/o problem, but will an external HD that always seems to be running (even in standby as it still backs up my stuff) hurt its lifetime?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 07:26 AM

They measure the life span of hard drives in "Mean Time Between Failures". It is common for that number to be in the hundreds of thousands of hours. For every one who claims that leaving it on will wear it out, there is another person who argue that turning it on and off subjects it to electrical and mechanical damage. As long as you have a backup plan, you are doing the right thing.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 09:54 PM

Doesn't your drive do to sleep (spin-down) after a pre-determined amount of time?

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2008, 03:19 PM

Some externals will spin-down from inactivity wether you want them to or not. It can be controlled by the firmware in the enclosure's chipset. I've heard some drives are only rated for 3k spin-ups. If that's the case and you use the drives often, it's better to leave it running.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 06:02 PM

One thing's for certain. It will waste electricity.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
And one more thing's for certain, it will take up space in your room and displace air.

robbiejedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2008, 09:17 AM

I can't see a problem with this, Foxdog. In principle it's not all that different from a server running 24-7. Sure, there are programmable sleep times, etc., but I can't see it making much of a difference leaving it on.

Cheers,
Rob.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
Thus the reason so many external drive systems automatically spin down when not in use. My network drive has a setting called "HDD Sleep Time" which comes factory set at 10 minutes, but is changeable to any value from 5 to 60 minutes, and can be disabled. Lots of flexibility. I've found that the "adapter cable" devices (like enclosures but without the enclosure itself) don't always have a sleep function, but other than that, external drives should be fine staying "on" 24/7, and will waste very little electricity.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules