Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Most affordable hardware for iPhone development?

Most affordable hardware for iPhone development?
joechu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 09:43 PM

I will be purchasing some Macs pretty soon to do some development for an iPhone project. What I'm looking at right now are Mac minis, as I would be able to purchase 2 Mac minis for development for almost the same price as a Macbook or an iMac. I have plenty of spare LCDs/keyboards/mice which is another reason why I'm more inclined to go with that. Although more CPU speed and RAM is always better, I think right now the specs for the Mac mini are fine for development purposes. (1.83Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 1 GB RAM)

Would there be any situations where a Macbook or an iMac would be a better choice? Only things I could think of possibly would be having a better video card (Intel GMA950 compared to ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB) or multi-touch track pad (Macbook Pro only I think). However the advantages *should* only be useful for the iPhone Simulator, and even then I'm not sure of an improvement that would be.

Let me know if you have any opinions or insights. Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2008, 10:38 PM

I don't see any reason to buy up to something better than the mini for iPhone development... the apps aren't that big/complex.

joechu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 02:23 AM

Yeah, I don't see any reason either. Just wanted to make sure with the people who've been using the SDK and would know. Thanks for your help!

funkboy
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2008, 07:23 PM

The mini would be perfect. Consider getting more RAM.

And don't underestimate the joy of working on the road or at least being mobile with a MacBook... working on something while I sit on the couch, though it probably reduces my productivity, is still a nice change of pace

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by funkboy View Post
The mini would be perfect. Consider getting more RAM.

And don't underestimate the joy of working on the road or at least being mobile with a MacBook... working on something while I sit on the couch, though it probably reduces my productivity, is still a nice change of pace
So true for me as well. If I find I'm not making progress on some work at home, I pack up and head to campus or a coffee shop.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2008, 12:00 PM

You might have keyboards laying around, but you will want a Mac keyboard not a Windows one.

A mini will have plenty of power. Notebooks good for travel as expressed above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules