Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Headphones? your recommendations-

Headphones? your recommendations-
oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2001, 08:41 AM

Any new suggestion? Thanks in advance.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2001, 09:13 AM

Transferring to the correct forum, Peripherals...

Headphones are a peripheral. While you might connect them to an iBook, they are a separate product that could be used with really any computer. For future reference, these forums are for issues pertaining directly to the iBook/whatever, not to what you are interested in connecting to it.

Thanks in advance!

By the way, the Sony (insert model prefix here) 580's are very nice headphones, but they come with a price ($80), and they're not compact, either.

<PixelPimpz>
Aug 9, 2001, 10:53 AM

I LOVE my Sony MDR-V700 headphones. They sound amazing, many DJ's prefer them. Also, they're silver so they match the new iBooks and TiBooks.

<Scott Gerenser>
Aug 9, 2001, 01:01 PM

Depends greatly on your price range. Some of the best available under $30 are the Koss Sporta Pro and Porta Pro (they look pretty goofy, though). Also, the Radio Shack Pro-35 and Pro-45s both use the same driver element as the Koss and sound just as good as well. When they are "on sale" (which is every other week, usually) they are about $20-$30.

The next step up would be something like the Grado SR-60, which go for about $60 now at some places. They have been rated rather highly and some say they are the best headphones under $100. Above $100 there is just a *ton* of options available from Sennheiser, Grado, Sony, Stax, and many others... you definitely want to do some research and listening on your own if you're going to spend that much on headphones.

oexecbmug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2001, 02:22 PM

Seanyepez-sorry about that! Thank you Scott Gerenser - I am off to check out Radio Shack. ( I am flying out Sunday and needed a set quick)

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2001, 02:26 PM

I love my Sony MDR-Q33. Very nice and small.

<analogtad>
Aug 9, 2001, 08:50 PM

um, sony does not make anything well. find a pair of grado headphones - try &lt;headphone.com&gt; - the sr-60 is unquestionably better than what these guys are recommending and they are in the same price range. the sr-80 is the best set of cans you can get for portable cd/laptop use. they go for around $80 and worth the extra dough over sr-60. my personal fav's are the sr-125's which will run you $150 and if you like to feel the drum's kick in your lungs at same time the guitar's twang makes your ears bleed then buy these. they don't alter the sound like sony's/sennheiser's/koss's will because grado's are open-air instead of closed inside a cup over your ear. they also use a proprietary long-crystal copper to wind the coils in the sr-125's on up. when i was looking i listened to most every headphone on the market and talked to everyone i could find with experience and chose these because they are the best. i will swear by grado's until my death in the same way i will swear by my mac. and that is all i have to rant about that.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 10, 2001, 09:44 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 12:41 AM. )

<X Newbie>
Aug 10, 2001, 09:56 AM

If you don't have a price limit, get the Bose headphones! They are $300, but amazing!

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 11:14 AM

Hey, I have the Sony ones that were used in the Airplane commercial. They work great for me, and compact nicely in my carry-bag. Highly recommended.

Jarid
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 11:17 AM

In fact, here are the ones I'm talking about . . .

Credit to CDW.com for that pic.

Jarid

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: PseuFighter ]
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

niji
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 07:14 PM

pseufighter,

what is the model number for the headphones you have pictured there?

thnx

<PixelPimpz>
Aug 11, 2001, 10:03 PM

[/LIST]

lextek
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2001, 06:35 PM

I've hooked up a Headroom headphone amp with a pair of Sennheiser HD600s. High end sound.

Bob

MaxMac
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by PseuFighter:
<STRONG>In fact, here are the ones I'm talking about . . .

Credit to CDW.com for that pic.

Jarid

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: PseuFighter ]</STRONG>
I have these headphones, by Labtec.
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

<PixelPimpz>
Aug 14, 2001, 04:09 PM

Those are Sony Street Style headphones in that pic... Sony invented that design, if you check out the book they came out with recently it shows their industrial design process and history. You'll find they were developing that style for quite a while.

mmarcos
Aug 14, 2001, 07:46 PM

Check out the headphones from Etymotics. They are in-the-ear type. They have the best sound of any I have tried as well as the highest price. They coil up into a small package. Make sure the volume is low because they are loud and clear. You can see them at headphone.com
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

mmarcos
Aug 14, 2001, 07:47 PM

Check out the headphones from Etymotics. They are in-the-ear type. They have the best sound of any I have tried as well as the highest price. They coil up into a small package. Make sure the volume is low because they are loud and clear. You can see them at headphone.com
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

mmarcos
Aug 14, 2001, 07:49 PM

l u p u s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 01:13 PM

I like these ones from Sony:

[mdr-q33lp]

/lupus
Well sir, don't be afraid it's not a real mouse - now click that button!

Apple_John
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2001, 07:53 AM

1. Koss "The Plug", $20, Block out most outside noise, best bass under $50, clean and powerful. If you don't like the sound, few simple mod will improved alot.

2. Sony MDR V6, $80, one of the best close-can phone, best all-round phone, best game phone, last forever, best bass... DON'T buy any other Sony headphone, they are all crap, way overpriced, If you have listened to a V6, you know what I am talking about and you will know what really is good bass. V6, not V600!!

3. Grado phones look like toys, but they are truly the world's finest. Grado SR 80, $100 can plug directly into ibook, but I am using SR 125, $150, which need a mini adaptor cable (~$20), After you listen to Grado, you think you are in heaven...

I recommand you buy V6 first, then listen to other sony, panasoic, jvc, poser phones. If you can tell the differences, buy a grado, then buy a headphone amp, then buy a RS1 / HD600, then buy....

oexecbmug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2001, 11:47 PM

MacNN Forum replys are great! Thanks for the responses. I am off to check out thed different headphones.

H

gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2001, 01:04 AM

Beyerdynamic DT75 - $50US http://beyerdynamic.de/com/product/index.htm

Grado SR60 - $60US http://www.gradolabs.com/

Have heard both and they are the best under $100US. Many other phones such as Sony's will give a more exciting sound but these provide the fullest frequency range and the most AUTHENTIC sound. The only drawback is that they are open back designs which means they let more sound out and more sound in which can be bad if you are in a noisy environment (such as a plane or croud) or a very quiet environment where there are lots of people. The advantage to this is that there are no cabinet resonances to affect the sound.

Forum Links
Forum Rules