Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Civ 4 Complete for $10 on Steam

Civ 4 Complete for $10 on Steam
davecom
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 07:22 PM

Today Only - don't miss out. I'm downloading right now - this even includes Colonization.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2010, 09:31 PM

Wow. Great deal.

P
Jun 28, 2010, 05:43 AM

I bought it as well, and I already own Civ4. Both expansions and one extra game is still good value for $10.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2010, 02:56 AM

Damn, missed it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2010, 06:59 PM

Grrr...great deal and yet I missed it...son of a monkey!

Koralatov
Senior User
Jul 2, 2010, 03:52 AM

I haven’t played a Civ game since playing Civ 2 at Uni on my old Pentium–166. There were some pretty heated arguments with my flatmate over whether the wheel or the alphabet should be researched first; he said the wheel, I said the alphabet. It was something of a reflection of our degree biases: I was doing English Literature, he was doing Engineering.

Anyway: I snapped it up for a grand total of £6.24. Quite looking forward to playing, and I was surprised (and pleased) to see there’s a new version of Colonisation. Now, if only they’d remake Alpha Centauri

P
Jul 2, 2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
Anyway: I snapped it up for a grand total of £6.24. Quite looking forward to playing, and I was surprised (and pleased) to see there’s a new version of Colonisation. Now, if only they’d remake Alpha Centauri
Colonization is truly a remake, though - very very small differences compared to the original except for the graphics. And there's no need to remake Alpha Centauri - the original is perfect, and since Brad Oliver ported it to OS X, it still runs.

Actually, Alpha Centauri is my favorite game ever, but it was very much a work by Brian Reynolds. Firaxis (makers of Civ, home of Sid Meier) still owns that trademark, but Brian Reynolds is currently at Big Huge Games. I'm not sure I'd like to see a new AC without him and the rest of the original team - it risks becoming another MoO III.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 12:28 PM

I can't believe I missed this one. I'd have bought it in an instant.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2010, 02:51 PM

This sale is back on! I just picked it up. I've started checking steam for sales just about every day now. There aren't a tone of games on there that I'm really interested in, but there are definitely a few that I'll grab if the price gets low enough.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2010, 03:15 PM

Sweet...just bought it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2010, 03:30 PM

Thanks guys! These games run perfectly in WINE, just FYI...

Edit: I guess it doesn't matter, somehow these expansion packs have been ported to OS X.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jul 4, 2010 at 04:14 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2010, 04:51 PM

Hmmm... Just downloaded and installed Steam. It looks to be a wrapper around WINE, as the games seem to run the same and have the same issues.

It's definitely cool to be able to buy these games this cheaply though, and Steam certainly makes downloading and running these games very, very convenient.

P
Jul 5, 2010, 03:53 AM

No, it's not WINE. I'm pretty sure it's the same Aspyr ports that you can separately. The game engine is rather minimal for Civ IV. The data is all images and XML and the logic is all in Python, so it is not surprising if they have the same issues. Even after all the patches, the original Windows version is rather buggy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
No, it's not WINE. I'm pretty sure it's the same Aspyr ports that you can separately. The game engine is rather minimal for Civ IV. The data is all images and XML and the logic is all in Python, so it is not surprising if they have the same issues. Even after all the patches, the original Windows version is rather buggy.

Ahhh... Well, the first release of Beyond the Sword was in 2007 for Windows only, the OS X version didn't come out until 2009, I didn't realize that they eventually came out with an OS X version. I'm also assuming that Warlords and Colonization came out much later for OS X too. My mistake, I had no idea that there were OS X versions of anything except for the original Civ IV.

P
Jul 5, 2010, 05:22 AM

The actual game was 9 months late to the Mac, and yes the expansions took some time as well. At least better than it was for Civ III, I guess, with Civ III: Conquests not arriving at all to begin with.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The actual game was 9 months late to the Mac, and yes the expansions took some time as well. At least better than it was for Civ III, I guess, with Civ III: Conquests not arriving at all to begin with.
Not true anymore:

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete includes Civilization III plus the Play the World Multiplayer and Conquests expansion packs.
Aspyr - Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Complete

Regards
Powerbook
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules