Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Windows Safari beta: instant crash behind proxy!

Windows Safari beta: instant crash behind proxy!
ibook_steve
Jun 11, 2007, 02:34 PM

I've already tried running the beta on Windows XP. As soon as I enter the proxy login info, Safari crashes, completely repeatable. Anybody else see this? Why does Apple have such problems with proxy servers (see infinite login to proxy server in iTunes)?

Steve

P.S. Why do I have to reboot my Mac to install the beta while the Windows version does not require a reboot?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 11:52 PM

It crashed the first time I launched it on Windows XP also... and I am not behind a proxy.

jwblase
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 10:07 AM

I have this exact same problem. The crash data says its the cfnetwork.dll that's causing the crash. I've reported it to Apple, and we'll see how long it takes to fix!

This kinda makes Safari unusable in most corporate/education networks (which I'm stuck behind!)

Also: Has anyone found a way to enter the proxy information in the Preferences:Advanced tab yet? I find that it's just grayed out.

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

jwblase
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 11:50 AM

Strange solution:! I just ran a software update in Windows (via Apple Software Update). It updated iTunes and Quicktime, and now I have no problems getting past the proxy!

Try this one to see if it works!

JB
-The Doctor

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
P.S. Why do I have to reboot my Mac to install the beta while the Windows version does not require a reboot?
Because it also updates the Dock and Dashboard in the OS X version (presumably something to do with Webclip, even though it is not usable).

jwblase
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 01:05 PM

A little more experimentation: As long as I use IE to load pages through our proxy, Safari doesn't have a problem. When I stop using the web for a few minutes (and the proxy connection closes), then Safari crashes when trying to reestablish the proxy login connection.

It looks like it's a problem with the authentication scheme used in Safari for Windows.
-The Doctor

ibook_steve  (op)
Jun 12, 2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jwblase View Post
A little more experimentation: As long as I use IE to load pages through our proxy, Safari doesn't have a problem. When I stop using the web for a few minutes (and the proxy connection closes), then Safari crashes when trying to reestablish the proxy login connection.

It looks like it's a problem with the authentication scheme used in Safari for Windows.
I can't verify this fix. I use IE then try Safari, and Safari still asks me to authenticate even though I was just browsing with IE through the proxy. Entering authentication then causes the crash.

Steve

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 10:29 PM

well it is beta software so use at your own risk.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 10:38 PM

Maybe this is some weird ploy by Apple to convince people that Apple products are more stable?

"See, Windows can't even run a simple browser without crashing"

jwblase
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 10:02 AM

The strange thing about this on Windows is... I load a page in Safari. Switch to IE, and hit the refresh button, and the SAFARI page loads in the IE window...

Apple's using some wierd communication scheme between Windows internet settings and Safari that I can't pin down. IE sees things that Safari is doing, and Safari tries to do things that IE is doing.

I only have the Windows XP machine at work, so I can't test this out from home at all...

JB
-The Doctor

nowshining
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2007, 03:45 AM

how do you Enable the proxy as it's greyed out on mine...?? I want to setup proxomitron for it...also so is show cookies..

EDIt: I am using the beta on xp sp2

jwblase
Senior User
Jun 23, 2007, 11:52 AM

At work, they set up our proxies for us (and we can't view them), but i think you'd have to do it in the Internet control panel in XP.

Anyone have any more luck with the 3.0.2 update? Since summer school is out, I no longer have access to an XP machine for a few weeks. I'd really love to use Safari at work, as I find it's behavior MUCH more preferable to IE or Firefox.

JB
-The Doctor

SJR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2007, 07:32 AM

It's not just the Windows Safari that crashes when behind a firewall - the Mac version does too!
At work, we are behind a Windows ISA proxy and Safari works ok(ish) for normal sites, but dies instantly when attempting to access a secure site.

That's why I don't use Safari in Windows OR Mac OSX!!! (Give Camino a try if you're on OSX - it rocks!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules