Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ASIP to OSX server - why

ASIP to OSX server - why
Flyzone
Oct 28, 2003, 05:42 PM

The company that I'm working for is still running a 3 years old power mac g4 (350) with ASIP 6.3.3 as server, AFP, FTP and mail are on.

We have about 15 clients connect to the machine and the server crash at least one a day.

There are 2 SCSI drive (no RAID) attached to the g4 and deleting old users from the group list is imossible for some sort of disk errors.

I proposed them to move to Xserve and OSX for stability, also because we're in the process of upgrading all the clients machines.

My boss however wants to undestand what kind of advantages we can have from moving to an Xserve-OSX platform.

Do u know if there's some material out there I can incorporate in my business plan? Something like top 10 reason to move to ...

Thanks,
Fly

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 02:42 PM

The big one is that it doesn't go down daily. I've managed to kill it once in 8 months, by plugging in a G4/400 tower in FWTDM. Guess it said something about the xserve's mother or something......

Real Apache.
PHP support. Perl, Python, all those other full strength scripting languages.
No downtime from crashes.
Command line administration over SSH.
Secure FTP available.

Did I mention it doesn't crash?
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules