Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail vs. Entourage

Mail vs. Entourage
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 03:13 AM

So...there's a year old thread comparing older versions of each program. How do the newest versions compare to each other? Which do you use and why? Where is each lacking? Thanks!
Rob

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2004, 03:28 AM

I tried to connect to my companies exchange server via vpn and entourage. It worked, sorta.. I could send and receive, but the company LDAP address server refused to work at all.

Mail and Address Book work perfectly.

-Q-
Jul 14, 2004, 06:12 AM

Mail constantly loses passwords if it can't connect to a mail server (which is a constant problem with .mac with their servers going down regularly). It forwards HTML mail poorly. I've read more than one problem with it losing mail.

Entourage 2004 has it's own problems (proprietary DB, some bug with sending e-mail where it thinks the server authentication is wrong, even tho it uses that same info to check for mail successfully) but for what I need it for, it works fine. Plus, the new three-pane look is a really effective use of screen real estate.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 03:46 AM

I use Mail. Its simple and I dont need a calendar or project center or address book to be open at the same time.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2004, 04:20 AM

Prices

Mail: bundled with OS, 129$
Entourage: bundled with Office, 399.95$ (on top of the OS price of course, Office won't work without one OS heh )

With that on mind, I am really happy with Mail.

Wickedkitten
Jul 17, 2004, 06:21 AM

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Wickedkitten:
http://blogintosh.com/pages/articleMail.html
wow there's some really misguided reasoning in there....
cpac

Wickedkitten
Jul 17, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
wow there's some really misguided reasoning in there....
What's so misguided about it? It's just another person's opinion on why he likes Entourage more than mail

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Wickedkitten:
What's so misguided about it? It's just another person's opinion on why he likes Entourage more than mail
The reasoning:

First, he just flat misunderstands the whole nature of Apple's Inboxes - somehow believing that there's a difference between a mailbox and a folder. He thinks this because Entourage puts various sub-mailboxes under the "InBox" which is misleading since they aren't really in the inbox at all - and don't show up if you click on the big inbox. The Apple way makes more logical sense, and his only objection seems be based on this fundamental misunderstanding.

His second point - that duplicate emails are created via sorting rules is just plain wrong - clearly he's using the "copy to" command in his rules instead of just using "move to" which is what he wants to happen.

There are certainly valid reasons to criticize Mail and/or prefer Entourage, but this guy has not stumbled upon any of them -- that's why I say it's misguided -- perhaps I should have just said "misleading" or "wrong"
cpac

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Mail constantly loses passwords if it can't connect to a mail server (which is a constant problem with .mac with their servers going down regularly). It forwards HTML mail poorly. I've read more than one problem with it losing mail.
It doesn't actually loose the password. If the connection times out, it does pop up a thing to request the password again. I'm not sure exactly why it does this, but if you click cancel then next time it goes to check mail it will still have & use the password from the keychain. You don't loose it.

To my knowledge it cannot forward HTML email because it does not support composing HTML email. The next version (in Tiger) will support composing HTML email though, as it is one of the most requested features Steve said at the WWDC preview (no big surprise there, but sure took Apple long enough to "get it").

Never heard about it loosing mail. I run 3 accounts and several mail folders and have never seen this either. Are you sure the people who claim this didn't just delete the mail, forget they did, and then get mad when it's not in the inbox or whatever mail folder anymore?

Forum Links
Forum Rules