Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My Dream App (American Idol for Software Development)

My Dream App (American Idol for Software Development) (Page 3)
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Amorya
I think Hijack could be.

The description for it is a bit vague. It seems the main point is making it Coaco is the biggest seller.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
I voted for Cookbook and Blossom and a few more from the first column. Some good ideas there.

Wouldn't vote for the game though.

Same here. I also liked iStyleIt.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
The description for it is a bit vague. It seems the main point is making it Coaco is the biggest seller.
The way he phrased it was retarded, but it's actually something I've been wanting for a while. He's suggesting an interface to online forums that's an actual app with advanced features rather than the clunky Web 1.9 interfaces all the forums have these days.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 12:57 PM

Here's some mockups they made:

Desktop Wars

More info/screenshots: http://mydreamapp.com/contestants/view/andrewwilson/

Cookbook

More info/screenshots: http://mydreamapp.com/contestants/view/michaelyuan/

Hijack

More info/screenshots: http://mydreamapp.com/contestants/view/kevincapizzi/

Ground Control

More info/screenshots: http://mydreamapp.com/contestants/vi...sellheistuman/

Bookroom

More info/screenshots: http://mydreamapp.com/contestants/view/dillonkrug/

There's plenty more mockups in MDA forum.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya
I think Hijack could be.
LOL, just imagine if you could post crap in several forums with one click.

Talk about post count whoring 2.0

-t

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 01:08 PM

If Cookbook is ever made into an app and localized, you've got your first order here (at least fom me ).

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
LOL, just imagine if you could post crap in several forums with one click.

Talk about post count whoring 2.0

-t
Heh. I want it as a moderator of forums though... it'd be great for deleting crap too
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 07:04 PM

Keep on chiming in guys, I'm really enjoying seeing what you guys are voting for.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 09:18 PM

I admit that I only voted to get another free reg code for pzizz. Other than that, there's not much to vote for.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

marden
Baninated
Sep 22, 2006, 09:35 PM

I didn't see your thread before I started a separate thread. But here is my idea.

Here's My Free Idea To Benefit Humanity: Electronic Leashes For Laptops

Anyone with a laptop balances the freedom of mobility vs the risk that someone will use that freedom to steal the laptop when the owner isn't looking. (The Jihad M.O.)

Compounding this problem which results in millions of dollars in hardware and software losses, not to mention the loss of manpower and information is the risk to national security.

ABC News reports.

Census Bureau Loses Hundreds of Laptops

Hundreds of Laptop Computers Used by Survey Takers Lost or Stolen From Census Bureau

U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez gives an address, Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2006, in Seattle. The Commerce Department has lost 1,137 laptop computers since 2001, most of them assigned to the Census Bureau, officials said Thursday night. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, FILE)

By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL

WASHINGTON Sep 22, 2006 (AP)— The Census Bureau collects the most personal information about Americans, from how much money they earn and where they spend it to how they live and die. It's all confidential as long as no one steals it.

Lost or stolen from the Census Bureau since 2003 are 217 laptop computers, 46 portable data storage devices and 15 handheld devices used by survey takers.

Although the number of people affected isn't known, the Commerce Department reports that passwords, encryptions and other safeguards were in place. Nothing so far indicates a misuse of any information.

"The department takes very seriously these high instances of missing laptops, as well as potential breaches of personal identity data," Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez said Thursday in response to an internal review of Commerce Department computers.

"All of the equipment that was lost or stolen contained protections to prevent a breach of personal information," he said in a statement. "The amount of missing computers is high, but fortunately, the vulnerability for data misuse is low."

[...]

Commerce found that since 2001 the department's 15 operating units had lost track of 1,137 laptop computers. Most, 672, belonged to the Census Bureau. Of those, 246 contained personal information.

Thousands of Census field representatives many of them temporary, hourly employees use laptop computers to compile survey data. The department said half of the laptops containing personal information were stolen, often from employees' vehicles, and 113 were not returned.
Stolen laptop with veterans' data recovered

Jun 29, 2006 — By Vicki Allen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A stolen laptop computer containing sensitive information on more than 26 million U.S. military veterans has been recovered and a preliminary review indicated no data was taken, the FBI and Veterans Affairs Department said on Thursday.

Both the laptop and the external hard drive which were stolen in early May from the home of a VA employee were recovered, federal authorities said in an announcement along with the Montgomery County, Maryland, Police Department.

"A preliminary review of the equipment by computer forensic teams has determined that the data base remains intact and has not been accessed since it was stolen," the agencies said in a statement. "A thorough forensic examination is under way, and the results will be shared as soon as possible."
Why doesn't someone invent a cheap "electronic leash" of sorts?

It should allow the owner to disable the computer upon command from a central national location.

It should feature a device (with an adjustable sensitivity) which would activate an alarm on the owner's cellphone, watch, PDA or the actual car alarm whenever the laptop moved outside of the owners' proximity.

If the owner set the alarm for personal proximity of 50 feet and the distance between laptop and owner exceeded 50 feet the alarm would go off.

The owner could choose the distance at which the alarm would go off.

The owner could choose whether the alarm would activate when the laptop was too far from a given base (the owner, the cubicle, the office, the desk or the car) or the person.

The owner could choose which alarms would sound (all, car only, PDA/Cell, watch, GPS, a specific alarm device or a combination of any of those mentioned).

There might even be talking alarms or audible alarms such as there exist for cars so that any thief would be spotted in the act and hopefully they would stop the illegal act.

And there could even be a free laptop insurance policy issued with each security leash system which would cover theft but also damage (when the audible alarm went off the thief might just drop or throw the laptop).

This system would save millions of dollars in losses and could possibly make some smart lucky individual or company millions.

I give this idea freely to mankind without expectation of financial compensation (although if some money was steered my way I wouldn't turn it down) but please acknowledge this post if you patent such a system or device.

Anyone have any reason to believe something like this wouldn't be possible, practical or useful?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by marden
I didn't see your thread before I started a separate thread. But here is my idea.

Anyone have any reason to believe something like this wouldn't be possible, practical or useful?
Uhm, how do you make a software that can't be disabled by installing a new HD ? Or even formatting the HD, at that ? Pretty useless, if you ask me.

-t

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 08:20 PM

If someone doesn't snap up ground control and bring it to market, the world will be a poorer place.

Portal looks nice too, as does Hijack.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
If Cookbook is ever made into an app and localized, you've got your first order here (at least fom me ).
Totally. If there's no built in metric conversion the app is going to be useless.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2006, 10:49 AM

MacGourmet doesn't seem that much less useful.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2006, 12:34 PM

Uhm, how do you make a software that can't be disabled by installing a new HD ? Or even formatting the HD, at that ? Pretty useless, if you ask me.

-t
The point is to catch them as they're taking the laptop, not after they've got it home and are wiping the hard drive. But this is more of an external peripheral than a piece of software.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 12:42 PM

I think Blossom should be integrated into iGTD. That would make for a killer and fun productivity app.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 30, 2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Well for one an APP not a game like the name of the contest suggest.

Other than that something new, original, fun which isn't sticky notes.
A game is an application.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 04:04 AM

-t
Well, you could write a firmware hack that refuses to let you boot unless it finds the program, rendering it mostly impossible to get around (without a firmware flasher)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2006, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
A game is an application.
Anal retentive post of the day

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 1, 2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Anal retentive post of the day
Don't be so hard on yourself erik. We still love you.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 09:53 PM

Just a note, semifinals end in a few hours, go vote and grab a free copy of Voice Candy!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by phillryu
Just a note, semifinals end in a few hours, go vote and grab a free copy of Voice Candy!
Done.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 02:52 PM

Blossom

I desperately want this app to win and be made. Please vote for it everyone!

Or will all these app ideas now be made, regardless of whether or not they win the contest, since they have some public exposure now? Heck I'd do it if I knew Cocoa better... maybe it'd be a good project on which to learn...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by funkboy
Blossom

I desperately want this app to win and be made. Please vote for it everyone!
Seriously? The tamagotchi plant that wilts if you play Warcraft?

Originally Posted by funkboy
Or will all these app ideas now be made, regardless of whether or not they win the contest, since they have some public exposure now?
Probably all the ideas that pique anyone's interest will be made — many times by many people if they're at all successful.
Chuck
___

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 04:18 PM

So disappointing to lose Ground Control. One of the underrated idea since most people aren't interested in reading the whole idea but quickly called it a cheap dock clone which it is not.

If anyone have played WoW and used TitanBar addon, you'll see why GC will be worth it. Anyway I hope someone will take over the project and develop it. I'm willing to back it up on graphic UI side.

I'm not happy with Atmosphere leading the competition, it is not really an app but rather a purely eyecandy that have short life.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 05:01 PM

I was hoping Stick-it would be one of those apps that would make it. I thought it was a cool idea.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

funkboy
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Seriously? The tamagotchi plant that wilts if you play Warcraft?
Yes, if that's what you deem unproductive.
How much time do you waste reading crap on the internet? I know I waste too much. Simply having the stats of how much time is spent on certain web sites or in certain apps would be VERY useful for me. I would like to know where my time really is going. Hours can fly by quickly on the computer - I think it's that way for many people.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2006, 06:16 PM

If Blossom was developed my post count here would stagnate.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by phillryu View Post
Hey guys,

We just launched My Dream App, a sort of American Idol for software development.
Last news update mid-last year.

What gives?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 05:30 AM

That place is just echoes of angry voices in empty corridors.

But for what it's worth:
Originally Posted by Phil Ryu
2008-02-27 18:56:20
Phillip Ryu
Re: State of MDA Chat
Heh. Yeah, so found a lawyer to work on this, just waiting on a retainer letter and such.

The developer I'm talking to is... an interesting choice, but I think he'll do a great job with Cookbook. Ken Humbard, creator of YummySoup! will be starting as soon as the contract is formalized and signed.

Official announcement will be posted then.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2008, 06:17 AM

abandon ware. Just like DIsco, AppZapper, Menuet ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2008, 09:00 AM

Wow, I had no idea how much stuff was going on behind the scenes at MDA....pretty unreal.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 14, 2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
abandon ware. Just like DIsco, AppZapper, Menuet ...
(A) it's a zombie thread.

(B) appzapper isn't abandoned is it? I keep getting updates from its sparkle framework.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 14, 2008, 12:15 PM

(C)

What's really sad? I ended up making a Bento database in 10 minutes to do 90% of what Cookbook appears to do from the screenshot.

Ok, maybe 70%. Doesn't matter, it's here today, and I already have 296 recipes in it. With pictures, ethnicity, ingredients... everything.

I need to put in some means of converting English to Metric measures, but otherwise, it's going great.
( Last edited by vmarks; Mar 14, 2008 at 12:27 PM. )

64stang06
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
(B) appzapper isn't abandoned is it? I keep getting updates from its sparkle framework.
Been at 1.8 for the last year or so, so no, it's not getting updates.

And My Dream App...well, considering the same guy (Phil) took over ResExcellence, I'm not surprised that neither site is getting attention.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2008, 12:34 PM

There have been a few minor bugfix patches, I think, but the version of AppZapper available for download on its site was released in 2006.

An interesting blog post about the Ryu Crew that I think has it pretty much right: Matt Ball's Blog���The Forgotten Delicious (It's kind of harsh, but also sympathetic)
( Last edited by Chuckit; Mar 14, 2008 at 12:41 PM. )
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2008, 12:50 PM

Considering it's a zombie topic, I thought it was appropriate to briefly reanimate it in a where-are-they-now sense.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
An interesting blog post about the Ryu Crew that I think has it pretty much right: Matt Ball's Blog���The Forgotten Delicious (It's kind of harsh, but also sympathetic)
Good read, thanks for pointing it it.

This reminds me again why I'm so hesitant to buy software. All to often, I invested in abandonware or found that it really doesn't work like advertised.

-t

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2008, 06:17 PM

MyDreamApp forums have been down about 2 weeks now. No news on their front page.

Talk is cheap and the best designs don't mean anything if no one will implement them.

At least the competition was aptly named: vaporware is but a dream app.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 06:33 PM

So I guess none of the apps ever came out — much like several of the American Idol winners. (Rimshot)
Chuck
___

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 07:02 PM

I loved how the forums for MDA went nuts when YummySoup was announced. People were crying thief, copycat, etc. Know what? It may not be exactly like Cookbook was supposed to be in terms of functionality, but at least YummySoup shipped and is in constant development.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 07:26 PM

Here's my dream app. It's exactly like Escape Velocity, but it's a MMOG.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2008, 07:42 PM

My Dream app Syncs iPhones and iPods over the WIFI with iTunes, you know, like the Zune does.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

Here's my dream app. It's exactly like Escape Velocity, but it's a MMOG.
http://www.eve-online.com

Close enough.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
No. Eve is 3D, extremely slow game play, and barely runs on a Mac.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules