Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using Apple Mail with Gmail

Using Apple Mail with Gmail
fallingman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 10:49 AM

I switched to a mac over a year ago, and when my MBP first arrived I tried using Apple's Mail app to download my Gmail.

I remember it just not working very well. Gmails "conversation" style presentation of emails played havok, with my sent mails appearing in my inbox etc.

I'm just wondering if there has been any progress on this? Does anyone know if Google have addressed it, or whether any plugins have been developed to help the two systems integrate better? I'd be quite keen to use a separate mail application for my emails - but was well and truly put off last time.

Anyone successfully use the pop service with Gmail?

ChrisF
Senior User
May 15, 2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by fallingman View Post
I remember it just not working very well. Gmails "conversation" style presentation of emails played havok, with my sent mails appearing in my inbox etc.
It still does that. I just made a rule for email in the gmail account and from me to be moved to the sent items folder and it works just fine.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2007, 05:37 PM

I have sent feedback to Google about these issues. My ideal would be to have IMAP instead of POP as I use 2 different Macs. They do seem to support Macs quite well but I am still waiting to hear that these things have been fixed or an official workaround.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
It still does that. I just made a rule for email in the gmail account and from me to be moved to the sent items folder and it works just fine.
Exactly, this is all you need to do.

Preferences > Rules > Add Rule
If From contains [email protected];
Move message to Sent;
Mark as Read

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2007, 05:22 AM

I've never had any problems using apple mail with gmail. I never made a rule, but I do recall that when I first configured gmail, it advised me on how to set up my apple Mail account properly. unfortunately, that was over a year ago and since everything's just worked fine since then, I don't remember what it said, but maybe if you try setting it up again, you'll get the same instructions.

Macola
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 01:23 PM

Same here...I haven't had any problems. However, that may be because I don't leave mail on the server (I never use the Gmail web interface).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

rollershapple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 05:19 PM

Yay I just figured everything out. I had to switch from yahoo to gmail, to get mail.app to work with POP.
iBook G3, 800Mhz, combodrive, 256Mb, 30GbFOR SALE

Forum Links
Forum Rules