Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing PC with MacBook

Replacing PC with MacBook
Stockcerts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2007, 08:03 AM

I'm almost ready to buy my first Mac in about 10 years. I've pretty much decided on the higher end MacBook. I mostly due lots of web browsing and e-mail, but also do some photo editing and making DVD's out of vacation pictures and video clips.

Currently I keep my PC on almost all the time, I just turn off the monitor when I go to work. I'm not sure if this would be the best way to use the MacBook as I know it heats up. Any thoughts on this? I'm also considering plugging in an external monitor/mouse and keyboard when it's on my desk. Lastly, do you all think it's a good investment to purchase the extended warranty? I've heard many say it's too expensive, but how likely do you think it is the unit will work without any failures for three years?

Thanks!

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2007, 11:04 AM

Great choice of a Mac to switch to, the MacBook is a very capable desktop replacement.

About leaving your MacBook on all the time, not to worry as all computers generate heat and the MacBook is built to dissipate that heat efficiently. While the MacBook is idling when you're away you have the option for it to turn off (idle) its hard drive and turn off its display. This is better than a screen saver because it completely turns off the backlight. Or, better yet you can close the display lid and make your MacBook sleep. Sleep on a Mac is light years ahead of Hibernation on Windows PCs.

With the mini-DVI connection built into the MacBook you have the ability to run an attached display in either mirrored or extended desktop mode. Just get a mini-DVI to DVI or VGA adapter that matches your monitor's input.

Yes, absolutely get AppleCare for the MacBook.
This isn't your Circuit City washing machine extended warranty.
Why? MacBooks are portable, so they're out and about getting bumped and jostled. All of there components and key peripherals (i.e keyboard, trackpad, iSight, LCD display, Lithium Polymer Battery) are integrated. What I am getting at is that portables have alot of small, non-end user serviceable components which will be protected for 3 full years.
On top of that, you mentioned that you're coming back to Mac after 10 years -- so you're bound to have question or two that will require a phone call to AppleCare.

All Macs come with a 90-day complementary phone support and a 1-year hardware warranty. If you're trying to stay within an initial budget, you can purchase AppleCare protection for your Mac within that first calandar year.

Enjoy your new MacBook -- this is a great time to switch to Mac!
( Last edited by dowNNshift; Jun 23, 2007 at 01:18 PM. )

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2007, 12:09 AM

I agree with the suggestion to sleep the MacBook when you leave, but I leave mine on most days even when I'm gone or asleep because I have it set to record some internet broadcasts, and I've never experienced any heat-related problems. When you set up your Mac, go to the Energy Saver system preference and you can adjust a variety of settings (screen dimming, sleeping, etc.) that will automatically reduce heat production when you're not there.

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2007, 12:42 AM

downNNshift offers some great information. I agree with the AppleCare recommendation. I have purchased about thirty Macs over the last eight years (see sig); while I don't get AppleCare on all the desktop machines, I ALWAYS get it on the laptops for the very reasons dowNNshift mentions. It is not that the machine is likely to have problems (though it could), it is mostly that a laptop doesn't just sit on a desk for it functional lifespan.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Forum Links
Forum Rules