Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb / .mac hosting - crazy long URL?

iWeb / .mac hosting - crazy long URL?
Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2008, 01:41 PM

I'm using .mac to host my blog - I assume this issue is with that as opposed the authoring app.
(this is just a learning thing, so please hold any "get a real host" comments.)

I'm trying to figure out why the URL is so long (and seemingly redundant).

I have my domain pointing to the site ([url]www.trypluggingitin.com)/url].
This works fine, but when you actually load the page, you get the crazy long URL of : "http://www.trypluggingitin.com/Try_plugging_it_in/Try_plugging_it_in./Try_plugging_it_in..html" in your browser address bar.

Is this just because of .mac's directory structure?
Is it possible to get it to just show as the root URL?

I'm using iWeb 08, if that makes a difference.
Their support docs were - less than helpful...
( Last edited by Mr_E; Apr 17, 2008 at 02:22 PM. )

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2008, 06:16 AM

Hope someone else can answer your question, but in the meantime, will this help?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 07:08 AM

iweb creates a folder for each site that you create within the application. So within iweb if you have three sites, my website1, my website2, my website3 it will when publishing create three folders underneath the domain. So that's why it goes down a level on your domain.

I don't use .mac(for my web site) but I do use iweb for some things and I see this happening when I publish to a folder and then I ftp that up to my site.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2008, 10:49 AM

Any comments about get a real host are just snobs. .Mac is just fine for beginners and home users updating family and friends. With 100gb of transfer bandwidth every month it's just fine for your needs.

As for the levels and the long URL, on the left side of iweb you should see a bar with your different sites. Try renaming the site's home page to something short. Normally it's just the .mac addy then your user name like mine:

web.mac.com/bishopazrael

but if you have 3 different sites under your account name, then yes you're going to need the crazy long address.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
iweb creates a folder for each site that you create within the application. So within iweb if you have three sites, my website1, my website2, my website3 it will when publishing create three folders underneath the domain. So that's why it goes down a level on your domain.

I don't use .mac(for my web site) but I do use iweb for some things and I see this happening when I publish to a folder and then I ftp that up to my site.

Does your host not support SFTP?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Does your host not support SFTP?
Or at least STFU ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules