Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini off of Battery Power?

Mac Mini off of Battery Power?
pearl2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2008, 03:00 PM

I'm building a video collection unit that must be transportable. Basically closed circuit without any power outlets.

I was thinking of using a Mac Mini and running it off of a optima car battery (or two) through an inverter. I'd like the unit to operate for at least 12 hours without a battery change. I only need a display panel upon activation of the unit and don't expect the programs running to be very taxing on the CPU, but am still very concerned about the power consumption. I'm not completely sold on using a mini or the car batteries. Any ideas on how best to power my project?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 03:57 PM

The idea is fine, if not terribly efficient. A netbook with a hard drive would consume less power, and a DC-DC power supply should be more efficient than an inverter.

pearl2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2008, 01:52 PM

did some more research and it looks like I'll be using a p1900 converter. Many car audio fanatics have had success with this unit. Still have to find out a decent compact battery setup, hopefully one close to 70ah.

P
Oct 28, 2008, 03:18 PM

Have you considered using a UPS?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 28, 2008, 10:15 PM

How about a DC-DC power supply, bypassing AC entirely? It's more ambitious, requiring you to open up the mini and find the power supply outputs, but why convert DC to AC when internally it is converted back to DC again?

pearl2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
How about a DC-DC power supply, bypassing AC entirely? It's more ambitious, requiring you to open up the mini and find the power supply outputs, but why convert DC to AC when internally it is converted back to DC again?
Yes, the p1900 is a DC to DC regulator: http://www.carnetix.com/CNXP1900.htm

I was also looking into solar power to aid the battery, but I'm not sure just yet if the power harnessed is feasible.

danangdoc
Oct 31, 2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks Pearl2000! I went to the mp3 site and they have just what I need so I can power my mini when I build it into my boat! Even custom cables! Perfect!

Forum Links
Forum Rules