Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mini hard drive?

mini hard drive?
danangdoc
Jan 28, 2009, 11:25 PM

I updated the drive in my mini. I got an external enclosure to put the old seive in, but the connecttion socket doesn't match. The drive connects using an extension of it's circuit board, but the enclosure I bought has a connector that looks like it accepts some kind of pin connection. Any ideas? Thanks!

ibook_steve
Jan 29, 2009, 08:42 AM

Sounds like you have a mini that has a SATA (serial ATA) drive and you're trying to put it in a case for a PATA (parallel ATA) drive. You'll need a different enclosure for this to work. Newegg has plenty of cheap enclosures. Just make sure you select one for serial ATA.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2009, 01:45 AM

Is your mini a PowerPC G4 or Intel?
Important difference as the above post calls out, PPC minis are PATA and Intel minis are SATA.

PATA has pins, SATA has L-shaped connectors.

danangdoc  (op)
Jan 30, 2009, 07:15 PM

Evidently I did order an IDE interface enclosure in error, and the Intel Mini uses an SATA, which I have ordered. Now I know, as I will be doing drive upgrades for a couple of my friends with Intel Mini's. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules