Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Would you really want an iPhone with a bigger screen?

Would you really want an iPhone with a bigger screen?
HamSandwich
Feb 17, 2014, 04:49 PM

Hey,
I'm totally confused, really. I always thought the 4-inch screen was really about as big as your hand, so that it would fit immediately. I thought competitors would simply come out with alternatives, bigger sizes, to at least have anything they are really different in. Suddenly, macrumors says the screen is always going to be lots bigger. True or false? Good or not?

I found the somewhat taller iPhone 5 screen pretty fancy, fun. It is elegant, practical, in-concept, for the present. But this...

And how will I feel in six months when I buy a 5S now, which is about to happen?

Pete

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2014, 12:03 AM

Yes, yes, yes!

I almost bought a 5S but backed out at the last minute. I'm waiting for iPhone 6 with a larger screen. If iP6 isn't any bigger, I'll probably switch to Android.

I want to see more on the screen - larger videos, larger YT, more of the calendar (iOS 7 version blows BTW and it sucks even more on my iP4), more of everything.

BTW, I'm a long time user -- my first Apple (other than using them in grade/middle/high school) was a Performa 6290CD. I've had a Powerbook G3, a G4 tower, a G5 tower, 2 iMacs, 4 iPhones, and probably a few I've forgotten. I don't take the decision to leave iPhones lightly.

HamSandwich
Feb 22, 2014, 12:44 PM

Is it necessarily true that there would be more space or would everything just be bigger? One of THE Apple advantages is currently consistency in resolutions, one the reasons the iPad 2 is still being produced at all, for instance.

I wondered for a while why the iPhone 5 got new apps for the new resolution so quickly, but the answer really was that many developers didn't have to rethink their apps conceptually - they just added some height. iPhone apps are so popular, and have always been, because they are so well-done in comparison. Things don't appear too small or too big, they are really handling the screen, filling it to their needs, rather playing with both space and proportions. I think it would be a big change to introduce entirely new resolutions which this would probably be all about. And two of them.

I wonder how useful it would really be. I think smartphones are already rather big in your pocket. I understand most od the bezel can be removed over time, side bezels first, but apparently, that's not quick enough for them, hmm.

Pete

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2014, 12:48 PM

Nope. Not going to buy anything bigger than a 5s.

I can already barely use it with one hand. A phone that requires both hands to operate is a tablet.
I'm not going to have a tablet as my primary phone.

-t

HamSandwich
Feb 26, 2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Nope. Not going to buy anything bigger than a 5s.

I can already barely use it with one hand. A phone that requires both hands to operate is a tablet.
I'm not going to have a tablet as my primary phone.

-t
Well, I agree. There is a long MacNN article on this, I thought it was pretty interesting. I also always liked the iPhone size and I thought it was sort of finished, perfect, no need to change anything here.
However, maybe people realize a phone cannot be endlessly large. 5 inches is probably the biggest you'll ever hold to your ear. So maybe everyone is convinced it should after all be as big as everyone can custain. You'll probably get the advantages, and love some, as soon as you use it regularly. Definitely some points like web surfing where screen size really helps. This time, Apple may have to go with market and fashion...

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
Well, I agree. There is a long MacNN article on this, I thought it was pretty interesting. I also always liked the iPhone size and I thought it was sort of finished, perfect, no need to change anything here.
I thought it was finished and perfect up until about a year ago. Now it's just too small. More and more sites have more and more information that just can't be squeezed into a mobile site. I like seeing more of a site, not less.
However, maybe people realize a phone cannot be endlessly large. 5 inches is probably the biggest you'll ever hold to your ear. So maybe everyone is convinced it should after all be as big as everyone can custain. You'll probably get the advantages, and love some, as soon as you use it regularly. Definitely some points like web surfing where screen size really helps. This time, Apple may have to go with market and fashion...
I agree, I think 5 inches is probably the best size for a phone screen. The 6 inch screens are nice, but it makes the phone too big for practical PHONE use. For my wardrobe, 5 inch iPhone would be no problem. Most of my pants/shorts have larger pockets and/or cargo pockets.

Forum Links
Forum Rules