Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery tips

Battery tips
gacuna
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 02:49 PM

hey guys i just purchased a new battery for my ibook, any tips in conserving the battery life, meaning so that it won't get messed up and like on a full charge read 30 minutes, like my past battery.

anyways, let me know, should i always let it charge down, always keep it plugged in what?

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Sep 14, 2002, 01:27 PM

with the lithium ion batteries that are used in the ibook, and every other modern laptop for that matter, there is nothing much else to do than charge it and use it as you please. lithium ion batteries dont have quirky conditioning phenomenons like the olden nicads. it dosent matter if you let it drain totally, it dosent matter if you leave it plugged in. the machine, and the battery for that matter, are intelligent and take care of themselves.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2002, 02:49 PM

Sine's right.
I would also recommend using the iBook plugged into an outlet whenever possible. Batteries can only be discharged and recharged a certain number of times (somewhere in the thousands) before they start to lose some capacity. So, if you use the battery only when necessary, you can greatly extend its life.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Sep 14, 2002, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Sine's right.
I would also recommend using the iBook plugged into an outlet whenever possible. Batteries can only be discharged and recharged a certain number of times (somewhere in the thousands) before they start to lose some capacity. So, if you use the battery only when necessary, you can greatly extend its life.
then again, batteries might need to be "exercised" so as not to let the chemical reactions balance out... it may only take a certain number of charges, but time works on the chemicals as well.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2002, 07:16 PM

I've mostly used my iBook plugged into an outlet since I bought it the summer a year ago. Now the battery only lasts about 1h20min, one year ago it would last 2-3h (under OS X and with screen brightness turned down).

What has happened? Is there anything I can do? (I have tried resetting the power management.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules