Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Freezing Issues

Freezing Issues
aliendezines
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 11:55 AM

Running os9 at work.
G4
256 ram
vir.mem on
400 processor

Bare in mind, I'm not a mac person (sorry fellas) so troubleshooting macs are harder for me than PC's.
-At work we use Mac platforms.
We work off of servers.

Here's our problem. We tend to freeze a lot, random freezes. But when we reboot, the document we're working on is "locked" and sometimes it takes forever before we can get to it again. Is there anyway to 'UNlock" a document we were working on quickly? AGain, we work off of servers and not off our own hard-drives. OR, how can we avoid a file being "locked" if we freeze?
Since are company is a newspaper, 3 of us (and an occassional few others) need access to the files.

Is it the server that causes us to crash all the time and end up with "locked" files? How can we resolve this?
Our servers are G4 Towers running OS9 (network connected).
I'm not sure if you'll need other specs to help...
All of us are really frustrated in our department and our systems guy is of no help (he's more of a PC guy) so he's clueless as well.
Some drink from the fountain of knowledge... others just gargle it.

If all else fails.. buy a PC!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 12:00 PM

First of all, OS X is way better for servers than OS 9. With that said, I assume it's the server causing these problems since not only one single Mac is affected but all of'em.

I don't know for sure how to unlock these files, to be honest I don't even know for sure what you mean by locked. Locked as in "can't save the files but read'em" or locked as in "can't even open the files to read'em"?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

aliendezines  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 12:16 PM

here's an example.

I open a new document in Quark (off my harddrive)
I begin building an ad for a client then save to the "server" (which is pretty much our storage)
I'll go into photoshop and alter a clip-art or something, save THAT onto the server in our clipart folder.
Then I'll go back to the document, insert the clipart, continue on, saving on a regular basis, then out of the blue I'll freeze. Mouse stops.
I'll reboot, my computer but when I attempt to re-open the document I was working on I get an error message saying "file is locked". I'll either wait for about 10-15 minutes or power down my computer entirely and attempt to re-open that document again. It'll either still be locked or I can open it.
If someone else tries to open it after I freeze. It'll be locked for them as well.
Some drink from the fountain of knowledge... others just gargle it.

If all else fails.. buy a PC!

purplenerple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 12:25 PM

The server would be a good guess as to the reason behind this problem. But, I'm wondering, would OSX on the server conflict with OS 9 on the workstations? I'm worried about the conflicts OSX has in itself right now.
You can't make a silk purse out
of sow's ear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules