Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX (Jaguar) CDR/DVDR Abilities

OSX (Jaguar) CDR/DVDR Abilities
npmccallum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 08:12 PM

Hello all,
Just got my new 17" pb . Anyway, I didn't order Toast, and would like to avoid doing so. I am a unix junkie. I am looking to understand more the CD/DVD burning capibilities of OSX and find out what I need. I know that you can just drag and drop files to a blank CD to burn (better implimentation then WinXP). What about copying CDs (I'm an indie artist so I need this)? Burning ISOs? Is there a free OSX inteface for CDRtools? What other suggestions do you have?

nathnaniel

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2003, 09:10 PM

Take a look at DiskCopy (in the Utilities folder).

-s*

npmccallum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 09:40 PM

Also (sorry for the noobie mac q here), if I drag files onto the CDR and burn that way, is this a PC readable disk?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by npmccallum:
Also (sorry for the noobie mac q here), if I drag files onto the CDR and burn that way, is this a PC readable disk?
Yes!

npmccallum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 09:48 PM

Also, any way to make ISOs?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2003, 09:58 PM

Also, any way to make ISOs?
Is ISO the Audio CD format?

npmccallum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Is ISO the Audio CD format?
no.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Mar 31, 2003, 12:05 AM

...Is there a free OSX inteface for CDRtools? What other suggestions do you have?

nathnaniel
nathnaniel -

a good place to start:

http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx

And to answer your question in advance,

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18492

Welcome to OSX!

Speed

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 11:55 AM

I know that you can just drag and drop files to a blank CD to burn (better implimentation then WinXP). nathnaniel
You can't do that with OSX. There is no packet writing. Only Windows has that available. On OSX you are writing to a temp file and then burning to a CD. That's the way it will remain unless Roxio releases Direct CD or Apple implements it themselves.

npmccallum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
You can't do that with OSX. There is no packet writing. Only Windows has that available. On OSX you are writing to a temp file and then burning to a CD. That's the way it will remain unless Roxio releases Direct CD or Apple implements it themselves.
I know that it isn't packet writing. Gsheesh, why does every one on this forum assume people are ignorant? (see thread iChat)

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 04:53 PM

I know that it isn't packet writing. Gsheesh, why does every one on this forum assume people are ignorant? (see thread iChat)
Because some people actually don't know packet writing even exists. Look above, someone thought OSX had better rewriting than Windows. It's not ignorance in the bad sense, just a lack of information. Ahem.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2003, 07:18 PM

Rooney: does Windows have packet writing, or does DirectCD for Windows have this feature?

There are other tradeoffs with using DirectCD, it isn't perfect as I'm sure you know.

Disk Copy will handle most (if not all) of what you are asking about, npmccallum. You can burn hybrid CDs, ISO CDs (mp3 CDs), and audio CDs with OS X. The default is hybrid CDs (Mac and PC).

There may also be a CLI equivilent to Disk Copy. The CLI equivilent to Disk Utility is "diskutil", but I'm not sure about Disk Copy. Since you're very Unix entrenched, I thought you might find this info useful!

npmccallum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
Rooney: does Windows have packet writing, or does DirectCD for Windows have this feature?
No Windows does not have packet writing. It is DirectCD for windows that has it.

There are other tradeoffs with using DirectCD, it isn't perfect as I'm sure you know.
Yeah, it sucks.

Disk Copy will handle most (if not all) of what you are asking about, npmccallum. You can burn hybrid CDs, ISO CDs (mp3 CDs), and audio CDs with OS X. The default is hybrid CDs (Mac and PC).
ISO CDs are NOT MP3 CDs. ISO is a type of disk image (like .bin/.cue, .dmg, etc)

There may also be a CLI equivilent to Disk Copy. The CLI equivilent to Disk Utility is "diskutil", but I'm not sure about Disk Copy. Since you're very Unix entrenched, I thought you might find this info useful!
Kinda... cdrtools, cdrdao, etc do similar things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules