Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Explain The "line In" On New G4's Please

Explain The "line In" On New G4's Please
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2003, 09:01 AM

DO i HAVE TO PUT A NEW KIND OF MIC ON THE NEW LINE IN PORT ON MDD G4'S??? I TRY TO USE THE OLD G3 ONE, BUT IT SEEMS THAT IT DOESN'T WORK, WHY IS HAPPENING THIS? I'M KIND OF LOST HERE.

THANXS
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 09:05 AM

The line in on current PowerMac, eMacs, and Powerbooks are intended to be used with a powered sound device (ie: stereo) and NOT a standard microphone.

It's a marketing ploy. Get you to buy the product on the assumption that you can use an external mic with it and then shrug their shoulders when you find out that it's only a line-in and not a mic port.

Speed

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 09:17 AM

I too thought I could just plug in my mic that I have used with all my other Macs. But� yes you do need an amplified mic for it to work. I had to actually read the manual to find this out.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2003, 10:53 AM

so,what kind of mic is that, where i canget it? i need a mic right away, and i dont know where to find one....

thanxs

p.d.
unbelieveble!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Vanquish
Apr 4, 2003, 01:00 PM

If you don't want to buy a new mic, buy a Griffin iMic.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 04:55 PM

I have an iMic. While it definitely works, its limited by the amount of power that it can supply to a microphone due to how much power it can get from USB. Because of that it can't power all microphones. Computer mics should be OK (but not plaintalk) but other mics (like my SM58) won't work.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2003, 10:47 PM

The headphone ports built into Macs have actually been line-in ports for a long time. For many years now, the speech-recognition software out there for Macs -both Apple's and third-party solutions- have required line-level microphones, such as Apple's own PlainTalk mike. They've been doing this ever since the Quadra AV line, which predates the PowerPC architecture itself.

A microphone with a standard miniplug should work for basic sound recording. However, you won't be able to use voice recognition with such a microphone.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules