Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Permissions Help

Permissions Help
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 01:46 PM

When I installed Leopard (Erase and Install) on my MBP, after installing I connected the MBP to my iMac via Firewire and pulled my User folder over to the MBP. Now, whenever I try and move or delete things from the user folder and sub-folders on my MBP I need to "Authenticate" first.

What I need to do is set the permissions in my User folder (and sub-folders and files therein) on my MBP to give me full read/write/execute permission. In other words, how do I correct permissions on my User folder on my MBP that was copied from another computer (same user name). "Repairing Permissions" in Disk Utility doesn't work.

Currently, most folders/files in my User folder on my MBP are set as Name: _unknown, Privilege: Read/Write. I could manually go in and change them via Get Info, but that would take forever as it would need to be done with every folder and file.

TIA for any help.

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 02:31 PM

Nevermind - got it.

sudo chown -R USERNAME /Users/USERNAME/

Forum Links
Forum Rules