Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Program to change MP3 bitrate?

Program to change MP3 bitrate?
gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 02:08 AM

I have these 60MB lectures in mp3 format that I ripped from a CD and joined together into one large file. The problem is I ripped them at a pretty high bit rate (160 kbps) so that they are rather large... is there a program that will let me convert it to a lower bitrate (maybe 96kbps) in order to lower the size of the file?

Thanks,

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 03:54 AM

LAME is known to be the best mp3 encoder.
Or simply use iTunes...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 04:02 AM

You will lose significant quality by re-encoding them, especially to such a low bitrate. The best solution is to re-rip from the original source.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 04:04 AM

How to do it in iTunes:

In the iTunes Preferences under "Importing" select the desired encoder and bitrate. Then select the song/audio file in the library and select the menu Advances->Convert Selection to [format].

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
You will lose significant quality by re-encoding them, especially to such a low bitrate. The best solution is to re-rip from the original source.
It's lectures, so it's important that you can understand everything, not to have pristine audio quality like for classical music. Transcoding them to a lower bitrate will work fine.

gametime10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 02:22 PM

awesome... I didn't iTunes could do it. Thanks for your help!

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
"Hey teacher, can you do the lecture again so I don't get possible artifacts in the recording?"

Anyways, I'd re-encode into AAC @ 32kbps in mono and change the file-ending to .m4b (the audiobook format that starts where you left off and syncs with the iPod.)

gametime10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Anyways, I'd re-encode into AAC @ 32kbps in mono and change the file-ending to .m4b (the audiobook format that starts where you left off and syncs with the iPod.)
I re-encoded all my lectures to AAC @ 32kbps in mono and in the end I saved almost 2 gigs of space! However, I tried changing the file-endings from .m4a to .m4b, but after I loaded them to my iPod they didn't show up in the Audiobooks menu... they just functioned as regular song files. It would be great if I could listen to them like the audiobooks... is there something else I need to change? Thanks,

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by gametime10:
However, I tried changing the file-endings from .m4a to .m4b, but after I loaded them to my iPod they didn't show up in the Audiobooks menu... they just functioned as regular song files. It would be great if I could listen to them like the audiobooks... is there something else I need to change? Thanks,
you could try to remove them from the iTunes library, change the endings to .m4b and then re-add them to iTunes/iPod

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2005, 06:07 PM

For most audio formats, you will lose a lot of quality if you re-encode rather than re-rip, because different data tends to be thrown out at different bitrates.

There is one exception to this, however: Ogg Vorbis. This format was designed in such a way that a 64kbps file re-encoded from a 128-kbps file should be identical to a 64 kbps rile re-ripped from the original CD. They call this technique "bandwidth peeling", and it was originally made so that people could keep high-bitrate files on desktop machines but peel them down to lower-quality versions for use in portable players. Obviously, since Vorbis is a lossy format, you can only go from higher bitrates to lower ones; you can't go in reverse since the data from those bitrates is already gone. However, it sounds as though it would have been useful in this case.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
For most audio formats, you will lose a lot of quality if you re-encode rather than re-rip, because different data tends to be thrown out at different bitrates.

There is one exception to this, however: Ogg Vorbis. This format was designed in such a way that a 64kbps file re-encoded from a 128-kbps file should be identical to a 64 kbps rile re-ripped from the original CD. They call this technique "bandwidth peeling", and it was originally made so that people could keep high-bitrate files on desktop machines but peel them down to lower-quality versions for use in portable players.
That hasn't been implemented (and probably never will).. link
( Last edited by Busemann; Mar 8, 2005 at 06:24 PM. )

gametime10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
you could try to remove them from the iTunes library, change the endings to .m4b and then re-add them to iTunes/iPod
Hmm... I just tried that. Didn't work and it ended up removing the album art from my iPod for some reason (album art still shows up in iTunes). I have a 30GB iPod photo. Any other ideas?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by gametime10:
Any other ideas?
According to macosxhints you need to change the HFS type code, not the filename extension.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...40303112626831

There is a script that allegedly automates this

http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/s...kebookmarkable

gametime10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
There is a script that allegedly automates this

http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/s...kebookmarkable
That script worked great. Thanks for all your help!

gametime10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2005, 11:35 AM

One problem... I'm experiencing crashes w/ the homemade audiobook files. Turns out it's a firmware problem and you have to encode it in stereo (rather than mono) to avoid this.

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Forum Links
Forum Rules