Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CHiPs, 80s shows, and Dax Shepard's Marriage Tips

CHiPs, 80s shows, and Dax Shepard's Marriage Tips
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2019, 02:04 PM

Somebody’s seen it, and is now being pressed into a review.

I have surprisingly extensive commentary for someone who hasn’t seen it, but I want to hear the verdict first.

andi*pandi
Sep 3, 2019, 02:35 PM

my take: why?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
my take: why?
My commentary offers one reason: Dax loves the absolute everloving shit out of CHiPs. This was his childhood dream come true.

andi*pandi
Sep 3, 2019, 02:51 PM

Well I can get that. I may or may not have owned a poster or a cover of teen beat magazine with them on it.

Is it better than the 21 Jump Street movies, might be the bar to cross.

Also they are re-re doing-Charlie's Angels and it doesn't look right. Drew Barrymore's Angels were fun.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2019, 03:10 PM

I wanted to like CHiPs, and I watched a lot of it, but I don’t think I was enjoying myself that much. Sort of in the same category for me as Dallas, but I certainly preferred CHiPs to Dallas.

Contrast with The Dukes of Hazzard or Battlestar Galactica. Now those were shows I was crazy for.

Also Hart to Hart. This I’d contrast with Charlie’s Angels. I’m biologically designed to like Charlie’s Angels, and that was enough, but I was truly enjoying myself watching Hart to Hart.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 3, 2019, 03:25 PM

Not better than the 21 Jump Street movies, but that's a high bar. 22 may have been even better, which is mega-rare for a sequel to (at least what appears to be) a slapstick teen-boy comedy. Like Anchorman 2, Zoolander 2, Son of the Mask, Hangover 2, etc.

Chips is fun. Really fun. I'm not sure if it's...good. Awkward forced chemistry between Dax and the short-haired cop. Pena was simultaneously by-the-book, but a loose cannon, but strict, but wild. He's into super hot girls. But then he cares more about personality? Then he's repulsed by someone older? But also kind of turned on? I prefer my characters 1-dimensional. The bad guys know that the FBI knows about their operation and is watching them, but they still continue doing jobs?

There were a whole lot of people that appeared interchangeable. Which short-haired white guy was this? Which bald black guy am I worried about? There were more back-stabbings than a season of Game of Thrones, and it was never clear who was on what side. The hot girl's bad? But then she can't go through with it and decides to stay behind? But then she's still on the bad guy's team? "Wait, did we know she was bad before now?" was a question I had to field.

Emotions are up and down - there's a serious scene where they're not sure Baker's going to make it, but then we jump right to Pena FaceTime sexting. Then in the next scene Baker's fine again?

Overall I'm for it. I rarely like watching a movie twice but I gladly pulled that one up because it's a good time. Wife enjoys "everything goes wrong, with hilarious results" type of movies so she was 100% on board as well. Plenty of physical comedy, more gore than Deadpool or John Wick, good chemistry between Dax and Pena (better than Dax had with any of the female characters). Watch it!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2019, 05:57 PM

That’s good to hear, relatively speaking.

I like Dax a lot, and am sure he poured his heart and soul into it. I gather he hoped he could helm the CHiPs enterprise for 10 years.

andi*pandi
Sep 3, 2019, 08:23 PM

fun is good.

I was a different demographic than you but loved charlie's angels so much, I suspect for different reasons. My friends and I loooved Dukes of Hazard.

I recall liking Hart to Hart, but not must see tv.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 4, 2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I like Dax a lot, and am sure he poured his heart and soul into it. I gather he hoped he could helm the CHiPs enterprise for 10 years.
Do you listen to his podcast? My wife is one of those women that finds his marriage #goals so we listen to his podcast on roadtrips, I enjoy it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2019, 10:41 AM

I listened to a bit of a podcast with somebody who knows him.

The main point the guy was trying to make was how desperately the people involved were trying to make a good movie.

When it came out, it was so roundly shit on, one could get the impression nobody really cared about anything other than a paycheck.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2019, 12:35 PM

I think he has said, "I made the movie I would want to watch." Which makes sense, considering the graphic violence, nudity, and excessive use of Ducatis.

Forum Links
Forum Rules