Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell 2007WFP for £285, or save for a 2407?

Dell 2007WFP for £285, or save for a 2407?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 06:54 AM

The Dell 2007WFP is on offer at their UK site for £285 (25% off) at the moment, and I'm thinking about it. It will be used on my Mac (G4 867 Quicksilver, 64Mb Geforce2 card) and console (PS2 at the moment, but may well be a 360 soon).

I know that Dell often put stuff on offer like this, so is it worth getting this 20" now, or wait, keep saving and get the 24" 2407WFP. Anyone here got a 2007 or 2407 on their Mac and/or console?

Just want to get some opinions and recommendations, I've heard good stuff about Dell screens.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 07:45 AM

I'd wait for the 24"... it's 'only' 4" bigger, but that makes for 44% more screen area. And it supports full HD resolution (1080p).

SHNAKE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 04:10 AM

completely depends whether you want....well a 20" or a 24"

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2006, 10:31 AM

I thought about it for awhile, but couldn't justify spending that much more for the 24, so I got the 20 incher and have been completely satisified.

doctorb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 04:33 AM

I got my 2007wfp in April for $429CAN. I still haven't seen a price that can beat that!

I was pleased with the aesthetics and generally with the performance. It's awesome for a $400 dollar monitor.

I had the A00 version of the monitor which was plagued with banding issues. I noticed it particularly in World of Warcraft when you look at the sunset etc. It wasn't a big bother to me but it is something to consider.

After enough complaints from people who truly notice the banding, Dell issued a firmware flash to fix the banding issue. I contacted ChrisM on the Dell forums and in about 8 weeks, he mailed me a brand new 2007wfp A02 which reduced the banding significantly (though not completely). I am not sure what monitors are being sold now from the Dell websites but if the monitor you get is an A00 or A01 version, you probably have the banding issue.

If you are unfortunate enough to get an A00 or A01 2007wfp, just go here to get your replacement monitor. http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...id=dim_monitor

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2006, 02:36 PM

OK, well the offer has passed on the 2007, this months offer is 25% off the 2407!! �619 instead of �824. I know its still a lot, but it's what I was looking at in the first place, and it breaks up the cost of the next Mac if I get the screen now. Definitely thinking about this now.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 01:51 AM

it's not quite the same, but i am very happy with my 2405FPW after several months of use.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 02:46 PM

Im now the owner of a 2407wfp, and its great.

Just want to sort things out and get it set up properly now.

I just set my G4 to go to sleep and I'm not sure whats going on but the screen went off, with the buttons turned yellow instead of green, but the computer didn't sleep, just had a black screen, and wouldn't come back until i restarted, so I'm not using sleep for now.

Oh and I want to get the cables sorted out to connect the Playstation 2 properly with component cables, and connect the speakers up again (I was using a Logic 3 switcher box before on my 17" CRT, had a speaker input in the box).

Impressed with it though, didn't realise the size of it until I got it out of the box and hooked it up!!!

asodamiac
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 03:13 AM

With the price reduction in the current ACD's, will we be seeing a price reduction in the Dell displays? I understand that the Dell displays are a bit cheaper (well the 20" and 24", but the 30" ACD is now cheaper than Dell's 30"). In another thread, someone mentions a possibility of new ACD's. Is this why the current ACD's have received a price reduction?

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I'm in the market for an external display!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

Forum Links
Forum Rules